Gasser HotRods banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
If I remember correctly, there was a thread on the HAMB about them letting go at highway speeds or something along those lines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any recap tire can let go. I don't care how good the process is.(just ask any truck driver) Having said that, what they're trying to do with these tires is give you the modern radial tire with a nostalgic look. For my money, I'll wait for the verdict to come in on these before I lay out any money. I've had recaps take out a steel fender and the light mounts as well as go on to pummel any car behind me. Not a pretty sight. Granted a truck tire weighs alot more, but it's enough to steer me away. Next time i'll tell you why I refuse to use bonded brakes.
Rick

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't think I'd run them at the track either, wouldn't trust them. Re-capped slicks are not something new. Atlas Bucron's were a re-cap if i remember correctly. Im sure some of the older gentelmen on here could enlighten us on those. If I was gonna buy a nostalgia tire, I'd buy a set of blackwall Radir's or M&H Racemasters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I too am concerned about the tires coming apart. Supposedly their (Hurst's) re-cap process is a different form than what is used on the big rig re-cap (re-tread) tires commonly seen scattered on the highway. I agree with Rick that i'm leery of the damage caused from an old tire coming apart.

I don't know why they use old tires when you can start with a brand new inexpensive radial and re-cap them instead. Keeping cost down i'm sure, but it seems better for safety sake to start off with new instead of an old carcass with an unknown history.

I also wonder how hard it is to balance a set of these tires. My car will be driven, not just a show car, so driveability is a big concern especially at HWY speeds.

The problem I have with the "brand new construction" cheater slicks being offered out there, after price of course, is that I personally don't like their look or large overall width sizes.
The Coker Firestone slicks to me, just looks like a worn out snow tire. Ugly. I think the Rader M/T one's are cool looking slicks, but again the width sizes offered won't fit in my stock '56 wheel well. Also, if you go to a cheater slick style it's hard to get just two plain grooves. You are forced into some kind of tread design like crossed checkered flags for example. Ugly. Again, just my personal opinion. I wish M&H would reproduce their original pie crust twin groove 7" slicks.

Anyway, here's a good story of the Hurst re-cap shop in action. Don't forget to check out the picture gallery on the right margin of the web page. They claim their process holds up.

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/1009sr_hurst_racing_tires/index.html

Bob

·
Registered
425 Posts
hey 56 150 i know your concern about the slicks. i too have been checking around on these, here is an item # on ebay. check it out see if it would be any help to you.350389721587. love those tri fives

·
Registered
374 Posts
I believe M&H does offer a retro slick but only for a 16" rim. I could be mistaken though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Atlas Bucrons were not retreads. I had them on my 57 chev 283 hp FI car. They were the best of the day but no match for the cheater slicks that followed them. The Bucrons were nice on the street but they sure didn't last long. If you're dad got 10k on them he was doing great. Haha A couple of friends back in HS has them on their 60 Ponts and they didn't last the summer. I used 4 in one summer of drag racing only on my 57. haha They may have been recapable but not after I got done with them. Those were the days.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
I stopped and talked with the guys at Hurst Recap slicks in Oregon City. They seem to be good people, and they do use only one brand of used tire as a basis for their recapped slicks, and that is to maintain a prefect fit between the tire and the cap. He told me they have used tire suppliers that set aside only the one brand and size, and then they go through and inspect them to pick just the tires that are good enough to recap.
As far as reacapped tires go, it sounds like they're doing their best to keep the quality as high as possible to eliminate failures. I still had reservations, just because they're recaps, so I went with something less traditional, and about the same price, but new. I put MT Sportsman 29.5x12.50x15 on mine. They're not old school, but they have a nice square tread, and I like them on the Austin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I decided to run them on my 55. They have been making tires since the 1960's and they are supposedly very reliable. I watched the video of the one blowing and cody from Hurst has replied to it on the HAMB. Looks like radial tire and underinflation were the culprit. I sure hope I don't have any problems! There are a lot of dragsters going 9 seconds on these with no recorded failures.

I sure like them so far but no miles, just a couple quick burnouts.

Scot

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a pair on my 38 coupe and have been on for about two yrs. they are ok with just driving but if your thinking on the track use forgetit. They do not hook up. Went to billet proof drags in washington and the owner had them on his little coupe and all it did was spin them.And I would be afraid they would burst apart.They look good and for driving i cant complain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had these on my Comet since 2009. No problems yet and I check them regularly. No strip action though.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Yes, Hurst has different owners, but they are the guys who worked there under the previous owner. I was considering Hurst slicks for the cool old school look, but the diameter and weight made me change my mind. They wouldn't fit inside my wheelwells without more cutting, and I really don't have much left now to cut. They're also not DOT approved, and I didn't want my insurance company to have any "outs" if anything happened to the car.
I talked with John at M&H West Coast sales and he gave me a great deal on a pair of M&H drag radials, so those will be going on in late Jan. when they come into the west sales office. M&H doesn't have anything in the old pie crust sidewall, so they're not an option if you want that look.
Here's the DOT approved Drag Radial:
http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=70&rn=290&action=show_detail

1 - 20 of 21 Posts