Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a 390 or 450 carb for a v6 project I working on for my daughter. It's a Cosworth vega that I am putting a 2.8 v6 with Edlebrock 4v manifold.

A core rebuildable carb is fine.

Thanks!
Mike

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
203 Posts
Have you started a build thread yet? We have a Vega GT project coming in from California soon and could use some info and enthusiasm from a fellow Vega Boy.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I need a 390 or 450 carb for a v6 project I working on for my daughter. It's a Cosworth vega that I am putting a 2.8 v6 with Edlebrock 4v manifold.

A core rebuildable carb is fine.

Thanks!
Mike

Mike how about using a 650 spreadbore so you can lean out the primaries a little. Lots of them available even on ebay.
Mario

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you started a build thread yet? We have a Vega GT project coming in from California soon and could use some info and enthusiasm from a fellow Vega Boy.
No build thread, didn't think of putting one here. Not a gasser and not really a hot rod... just a 60k mile clapped-out Vega.

This is what I started with. It sat in a storage lot for about 20 years outside...

Super clean under the stock black lacquer paint.

Anyway, just trying to get it to a running/driving car. It's so light, that's why I want to stay with a small engine like the 2.8. Should be about 2,600lbs so doesn't need tons of HP to be a fun car. Would be cool to put in a modern twin-cam 4cyl to keep it somewhat stock... :D

What are you going to do with your GT?

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike how about using a 650 spreadbore so you can lean out the primaries a little. Lots of them available even on ebay.
Mario
Just thinking that the small CFM carb would work better because the engine is about 1/2 a 350. I can get a new 450 or 390 carb but they are getting so flippin' expensive! Trying to keep this on a shoestring budget so I can get back to my other projects... :D

Mike

·
Registered
203 Posts
"What are you going to do with your GT?"

I kind of hate to admit it, but it has a nice rebuilt stock 4 cylinder engine in it and a fresh four speed, so we're going to leave the drive train as-is other than a possible carb swap.

Some factory style seat covers, refurbished door panels, new carpet kit and a respray in the stock color. Hopefully a dash cover and dash cubby to fill the current hole mid-dash.

Big plans to try for a stock-look resurrection, but we always manage to fall short as our talent and skill never matches up to our goals.

We live in hope . . .

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:D The cars are so light that they don't need muck power to scoot right along. My 4 is toast and way too expensive to rebuild, but I would drive the wheels off it if it had a stock 4 like yours. Sounds like a fun car. My hope is that the 2.8/5-speed combo will be fun. Going with a cam and 4bbl intake to get a bit more torque. Should be a fun runner.

The rest sounds like yours. Just refresh the stock white interior. I was lucky enough to get all new plastic panels so all I have to do is dye them white (paint) then paint the outside black. Doing a 5-lug conversion from the S-10 and probably running 17" TSW Trophys powder-coated gold like the stock wheels.

Mike

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just for the record Mike you're the only guy in America that's opting for a v6 in a vega !!!! Small block it !! Lololol

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the idea is scrapped. Just going to seek it instead. Too many more important projects need my time and money. Besides, I got my daughter a different car for less than it would have cost to buy 1/4 the parts to finish this.

The idea on the v6 was to keep it light. Vegas are around 2600-ish pounds and I wanted it to be more of a road car, you know, to be able to turn. :). LS would be better (if aluminum) but ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts