Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
end of crank,bog balencer,3956618 cast # 4'' bore i think 3'' stroke.( ill find out about when by buddy comes over).shame no #'s on the front pad.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I would say that is almost certainly a 302. The balancer is a good clue. A late '68 or '69 as the '67 and early '68 blocks were two bolt mains. Missing numbers are fairly common. It could have been a replacement block, a short-block assembly or the block may have been decked. That's a super find! No problem with your investment here. Congratulations! Robert

·
Registered
209 Posts
Robert your right, sure looks like it may be a 302. The 3956618 casting is sure a 68-69 302 or 350. Wylee check your crankshaft casting/ forging number. It should be 3941178 for a 302 and looking at the pics yours is forged so that is a good sign! Brian

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Wylee, It appears you have the head off one side. It should be fairly easy to measure the stroke. If it is 3 inches that will tell you. It couldn't possibly be a 283 as they were not made with 4 bolt mains. The harmonic balancer appears to be factory and that size balancer only came on the 302. That said, the condition of block, crank, pistons and rods are of most importance. It also appears that motor has been into or rebuilt as have most that age. I would have a "trustworthy" machine shop examine the afore mentioned parts. The main draw-back with these motors is parts availability and cost. But to those of us who know and love those motors for what they were, it's $ well spent. Robert

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Not sure but I think the two had something to do with the early and later blocks. It's been a while since I built one of these.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I think that is right. Chevrolet didn't make the large journal small blocks until '68.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Nice find and what a motor. U guuna B habben some fun nau bud! Love those 302's. Mark L

1 - 15 of 15 Posts