Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to look at an Enco bench mill this morning. It's going to be auctioned next weekend. I'd rather have a full sized knee mill like a Bridgeport but I just don't have the room. I'll have to get rid of some stuff just to make room for this, if I get it. They have a nice Atlas lathe too but the one I have works for what I do. No doubt, I've got too much junk!

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
I've got a cheap Chinese mill and lathe combo I bought 12-15 years ago. Bench top model, and I don't use it much, but when I need it I sure am glad it's there. Takes up a lot of workbench top, but worth it in the end.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a cheap Chinese mill and lathe combo I bought 12-15 years ago. Bench top model, and I don't use it much, but when I need it I sure am glad it's there. Takes up a lot of workbench top, but worth it in the end.
Sounds like what I have now. The lathe is very useful but the mill part is pretty useless. If I get a mill I plan to pull the mill head off and make a plate for the top. Mine is called Mega Shop and it came from Oregon when I bought it in the 80's.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up getting the mill I looked at. I've been re-arranging things to make room for it and have it mounted on a bench I had. I got a couple hundred dollars of tooling with it and will have to go through it to see what I can actually use. Not very big, but it fits my space pretty good.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
That's the perfect size mill for a home hobby shop Gary! It's pretty much what I'd rather have for my shop, than the Chinese one I presently have!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got a collet set, a clamp set and a vise on the way. Should be able to make chips soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts