Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, really glad I found this site. I've got a lot of questions on my Gasser build, and after a lot of dead-ends in other places/sites, I've already found some helpful answers here.

My name's Carl. Born and raised in SoCal, I now live in Arkansas (returned to the land of my father, so to speak)

I've been a "car guy" all my life....owned over 150 cars, mostly classics and muscle cars. But one of the biggest influences on my love of cars was when I was about 9 or 10, and a neighborhood teenager brought home a 57 Chevy Gasser street rod. It was all classic Gasser, straight axle, big block, tunnel ram, fenderwell headers, yard-long ladder bars, radiused rear fenders with cheater slicks and metalflake all over the place.

Even though that car hooked me, through all my cars, projects and basket cases over the years, I never got around to buying or building the gasser that inspired my obsessive hobby.

Now I'm 50 (going on 25) and I finally ran across an old Gasser project I could afford on ebay. So, a trip with the trailer to Texas and $1,800 later, I'm the proud owner of an old-school 65 Falcon Gasser.

Now, this isn't a retro/repro gasser....from what I could get of it's history, it was actually built in the late 60's....home-built,... nothing pro or fancy.....like they used to do in the day. Build it in the garage by the house at night, go race it when you got it together,... Straight axle from what looks like a 50's-era D-100 Dodge pickup (axle and springs painted baby blue ?? Go figure, it was the 60's) a 9-inch rear, a pair of later model racing buckets mounted, and some old, basic high back vinyl buckets in the trunk, a butchered trans tunnel, badly battered firewall, and modern racing tach with shift light on the stripped-of-gauges dash. No engine or trans, and the roll bar and ladder bars were long gone and lost to history. It came with a Trans-Dapt Chevy engine and trans crossmembers, 10X14 Cragars and N-50-14 tires in back, and a pair of 14X7 reversed U.S. five spokes up front, and missing the grill, headlights, and bumper.

It's PERFECT!

It's going to be a fun project.

Supposedly, the car was raced (don't know whether it was on a track or the street) in the 60's and 70's with either a 390 or 427 FE and 4-speed. The guy I bought it from said the previous owner had removed some of the Gasser stuff, and was going to update and back-half the car and install a Mustang II Rack and pinion set-up up front and make it a modern tech drag car.

That sounds like a lot of money and not much fun, so I'm going to take her back to her Gasser roots.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
It's PERFECT!
I'm going to take her back to her Gasser roots.
Welcome, Carl. Great to have you aboard. You'll find a bunch of friendly gasser guys just busting at the seems with knowledge.

I like your vision and I love your Falcon! Can't wait to watch your build. Start a build thread and keep the pics and updates coming.

Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the gasser bug has bit, and hard. I recently picked up two Mavericks to make one street car out of (my first car was a 70 Maverick) the parts car was a little too rusty to "restore", but I got to thinking, though 70 was nearing the end of the gasser era, a Maverick would make a sweet base for another gasser project after the Falcon is done

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Great year for Falcons! Love the squared off lines, and the design! They look nose up, even when they're level with that body line! Can't wait to see where it goes! Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
That will be another great Falcon gasser for the site. N-50s were the tires to have when I was a kid. Probably too scary to run those old ones now. I think that you can get new N-50/14s now.

Can't wait to see a full dress FE in there. Cool car for sure. And I agree on the Maverick. I've seen late '70s snd early '80s Malibus done up that way so you have nothing to worry about.

And welcome to the site.

Mike

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Carl, a big welcome to the fold. I can just feel the enthusiasm in your post. You came to the right place. So much love here for the gassers and just a great group of guys to share it with. Bring on the build and the questions. Everyone here feels just like you do. We just feed of each others passion and throw it right back. True brothers of the cause. Glad you found us and glad to have you on board. Start a thread in the project section and we'll ride right along with you. Mark L

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
That will be another great Falcon gasser for the site. N-50s were the tires to have when I was a kid. Probably too scary to run those old ones now. I think that you can get new N-50/14s now.

Mike
Unfortunately the last of the MT N50-14 went off the assembly line a few years ago, and were all sold to Summit. Checked with Summit on them a couple years ago and they had sold out. So no more N50-14's made by anyone, and wide 14's that will fit 10" rims are a thing of the past.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like a cool project. Here is some insperation.
Is that Jeff Davis' car? I've got a couple od wallpaper pics of that car on the PC. I like that it's not a showcar Dings and dent, no chrome pretties....built for serious fun, not a beauty contest. Besides, what better "patina" for a Gasser than the basic home-built look and the bumps and bruises of quarter-mile battle?

Don't get me wrong, I've got great respect for show quality Gassers. I'd do mine to the hilt if I could afford it, but budget aside, To me, Gassers have always represented the grass roots of You build it/You race it, Run-what-ya-brung drag racing, along with the culture and spirit of the era they reigned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome aboard Carl ! ! I know your gonna like it here, and your starting with a very cool ride...... :D :D
The body tin looks like its in rather nice shape, which only means you can focus on more of the build and less repair......... So when we getting started :D
The body was surprisingly straight and solid....it's got some flaws, but like I said, that's just Gasser patina to me

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Can't wait to see a full dress FE in there. Cool car for sure. And I agree on the Maverick. I've seen late '70s snd early '80s Malibus done up that way so you have nothing to worry about.

And welcome to the site.

Mike
You might be disappointed waiting for an FE.....one of my first dilemmas is drivetrain choice. I'll get into that in the project thread

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Quote from Cruizer65---Don't get me wrong, I've got great respect for show quality Gassers. I'd do mine to the hilt if I could afford it, but budget aside, To me, Gassers have always represented the grass roots of You build it/You race it, Run-what-ya-brung drag racing, along with the culture and spirit of the era they reigned.

Cruizer you nailed my build exactly. OK for looks but more GO than Show. I'm a Horsepower junky first so my build reflects that. Like you, I will add the little chrome here and the flare there but basically it needs to be fast and safe. I've always loved both show and rugged. Nothing wrong with either. If you can afford both then more power to ya and I'll defend you to the end. MArk L

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
I like them fast and plain, or fast and pretty. Both interest me equally. But I'm not big on tons of chrome; just everything clean and painted with a little polish/chrome.

·
Registered
354 Posts

Hi Carl, Welcome to the site. Wicked looking ride, very good start! Should be a really fun project.
Craig

·
Registered
699 Posts
Awesome deal! 1800 bucks and some of the harder work is already done for you. Can't wait to see your progress.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Always loved that body style as well. Mark L

1 - 18 of 18 Posts