Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got an education today. One of the reasons I did the header project on my motor was because after I built the 428 the welds on my headers started to crack and I was getting really tired of pulling them off to fix them. Ever since I put the motor in there has been a vibration that would come on at about 2500 RPM. I was never able to isolate it because it didn't happen when the car wasn't moving. I'm getting ready to pull the transmission to install the Gear Vendors overdrive and the lower stall speed converter and thought I'd replace the flex plate while I was at it because when I pulled the old motor out I noticed that a few of the ring gear teeth on the old flex plate were not in the best of shape. So I went on line to look at prices and what do I discover? The 410 and 428 motors take a completely different, externally balanced, flex plate than the rest of the FE motors. It seems that if you don't use the correct part you'll experience serious vibration at speed.
Ya know, this is the kind of crap that has a very humbling effect on a person.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I knew that................only because I read and article in hot rod mag about flywheels and harmonic balancers pertaining to ford engines there are a lot of combs and no no's when comes to fords.... Cranks Dampeners and fly wheel combos have to be matched...It made my head swim just trying to digest it all

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lash,
Yep, I thought an FE was an FE was an FE. The 428 still uses a neutral balanced harmonic balancer as do all the FE motors but for whatever reason it requires the externally balanced flex plate unlike the rest of the FE family. Plus if it is a SCJ 428 it needs the hatchet balancer behind the harmonic balancer instead of the regular spacer, geez. If it gets rid of my vibration that's all I care about. This motor is strong as hell I just hope no damage has been done.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
It's always good to learn something new, but also humbling when it's something I feel I should have already known or caught before! Had that with the Falcon when I found broken ears on my 4 speed during an oil change! I had been having a little difficulty shifting, but just thought it might need an adjustment. I was horrified when I saw the broken ears! Pulled the trans, and decided to go to a Lakewood bellhousing. Upon pulling the bellhousing, I put it on the trans to allow it to be used as a jig to hold the trans in position, and realized the center hole was much larger! A little investigation revealed that Chevy used two bellhousings center sizes. One for cars, and one for trucks! I had no idea they did so, and I had the truck bellhousing on my car 4 speed! Something I really felt stupid about not knowing.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Well glad you caught that in time Steve. You'll have to school me about fords so sorry I couldn't help you on this one. We all learn as we go and even the hard way sometimes.

·
Registered
655 Posts
That's a new one on me too. Only thing I've learnt lately is you can't make a living anymore by working.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
You can if your a doctor, rob people blind and kill them on top of that, and not break a sweat doing it,...#1 cause of death medicine..the working man who keeps the wheels turning min. wage.......in the 80"s I made 18.25 an hour as a VW partsman now they make $12.50, cause of evey thing is on computer so the partsman doesn't know crap...Vall now I know the cause of the m22"s I see at swap meets with ears missing, if I can find the mag with the article I will post it........but I think its one of the ones I gave away

1 - 7 of 7 Posts