Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a cool old ride that had enough room in it for my four legged kids Toby and Annie . :anim_60: well I finally found it and it will make a great show goer ! !

It should be economical it's running a 454 with a 400 turbo and a nine inch rear with 456's. The engine is suppose to be from a 70 Chevelle and supposably has 490 hp. Well if it had 250 horse power it would most likely break the tires loose. :anim_60: :rofl:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Any full sized car or truck front end would work-lots to chose from. A friend used a GM van clip,worked well,very strong. An early van straight axle would work,nice and wide. Good luck ,post pics!

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
My mailman drives one, but I thikl his has about 440 less HP than your's! ;)
Very cool ride, and should be lots of fun with that much engine!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
My dad was a milkman in the '60s and drove one a little bigger than that. I got to go with him once, getting up at 2:30 was a stretch for me then!

What are the plans or are you still evaluating? I hope that you loose the scoop. It's like mixing plaid and stripes. :D

Mike

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Mike
Well my plans are to run it for this season just as is it with some upgrades which I will explain shortly. Ok as far as the scoop my son love it and tells me it growing on me. OK ! ! In his mind. I'm looking to build a whole new hood but as a cowl hood. I'm also going to build a new chassis but will not even consider switching till over winter.
Back to the upgrades, when I picked the Gump up it had a bad starter. So I got it back to the shop threw it on the lift and switched it out with new. When I fired her up it smoked a bit cause I figured it sat in Jacks shop for a month or two so I would let it run , get warm , and take it for a blast. Well when I came back it was clearing a block of any kinda bug that could fly and some that could only crawl.
Well when Jack came over he said pull that one and take mine from the 55 I'm doing for him. Well I jumped on that deal cause it's actually a 402 and I like the older iron ( just because ) :D
So far that sums it up for now but will keep you posted and will post the 55 here in a bit.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I think it can start a whole new class AA/GC for AA/Gas Camper???? LOL. It's just plain cool. I love different. Mark L

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well Guys there's a few things I got done since my last post on the Grumman aka ( Grump ) and also some changes.... The Shop has bein busy and left me little time. I've decided I'm keeping the front suspension the way it is, which I understand this is a Gasser Forum so please guys don't boot my but out the door for not being a straight front :D :D

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well got the body off, took be about an hour longer then expected, but I also mocked up a whale tail on Kates Mustang GT

Had to mark some wires so even if I replace them I know were they are going..

everything worked but just not organized, so it will take time to get it cleaned up and put were or replaced with new.

Well its coming up so far nothing hanging up......

and she's free ...

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well made some headway today on the Grump......

I got the fender well headers off, drive shaft, and fuel lines... and then removed the motor and trans..

Then I got out outside hung it in the air with my tractor and pressure washed the frame and it's components.

Tomorrow I'm going to dress up some of the welds and make it look a bit more presentable....

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I ran square dimensional marks on the Grump frame today. I started with a straight bar just behind the steering box and measured from the center gauge hole in the front cross member and cross checked back from the upper arm mounts.

From there I went back to a good marker on the rear frame rails which I chose a factory rivet head....

Right side measures 77 .750 77 3/4 inch

The left side measures 77 .375 77 3/8 inch

That gives me .375 or 3/8 of an inch out of square now divide that in half if they are both out with each other even and that gives you .187 or 3/16 inch.
So that gives me enough to change the perimeter rails. I have some 2 X 5x 3/16 wall so there are a few changes I can make along the way. One get those ugly angle irons off and clean up the whole appearance of the frame. Also they ( previous builder ) went from 32 inches across the front from out side to out side of frame rail to 34 1/8 I guess for choice ...

Oh and I pulled the steering box I ordered a quicker manual one and pick it up in Carlisle tomorrow. I also ordered tubular upper and lower control arms with adjustable bushing for caster and urethane bushings, so it should handle better.... And look cool to ....

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I got some tubing cut today, and removed the front clip of the frame.

Got my center line for my rear cross member marked.

and did my pre-cut

this way I don't have to work so hard to cut in my drive shaft loop after the rear cross member is installed..

1 - 20 of 252 Posts