Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen references to something about the kingpins and wheel/rim width having some sort of an influence on each other but Im not understanding this, can someone shed some light on the subject?

Ive bought the speedway axle kit, Ive had my wheels for a long time and dont plan to change them but how do these two things need to be considered in the equation?

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Only relationship I know is rim offset, or width will affect overall width of the axle. So if you had an axle that was for example 50" wide kingpin to kingpin, then most spindles would put the wheel mounting surface at about 58". Then the wheel width and offset will determine the final measurement for OA width. A wheel with a 4" width, and 2" offset will add 2" to the 58" OA width, and get you 60". Then figure sidewall bulge, which could be another 1.5"-2" depending on tire size.
So your 50" kingpin measurement could end up being a 63" overall width when all done.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mistake then, I was reading it as you needed to run a rim a particular offset that would work in conjunction with kingpin location if that makes an sense.

·
Registered
922 Posts
In a perfect world, an imaginary line extended from the kingpin centerline wold hit the ground right in the center of the tires contact patch. In the real world, we just have to keep it reasonably close. If the brake set up and the wheel offset put the wheel way outside the ideal spot, you can have hard low speed steering and, sometimes, death wobble.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Ditto what Gary says...mine is set up that way but due to the disc brake setup I am out of center at the ground by 3/4" witch is still ok...could not get the wheels I wanted with the ideal off set

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In a perfect world, an imaginary line extended from the kingpin centerline wold hit the ground right in the center of the tires contact patch. In the real world, we just have to keep it reasonably close. If the brake set up and the wheel offset put the wheel way outside the ideal spot, you can have hard low speed steering and, sometimes, death wobble.
This is what I was talking about thanks for the explanation that clicked for me, Im gonna have to check this when I get my axle back. Thanks

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
That imaginary line is a good reference point. It can be off a bit, but it's worsened if it's out farther vs. in closer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts