Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble with greasing the king pins. The car I bought has a straight axle from Speedway. I took it out to clean it up and saw that the fittings were not installed. I bought new ones, screwed them in and grease comes back out of the fittings.

What am I doing wrong, I don't want to pull the pins and spindles apart yet if I don't have to???????:confused:

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
If you put new zerks in and they still wont take grease, then there's either old dried grease in the bushings/kingpins, or your grease gun doesn't have enough pressure. Are you sure you have the gun snapped onto the zerk? If you hold the gun on and don't get the end snapped in place it will also push grease out, and not in the joint.
You may have to pull the kingpins to clean if it wont take grease after the gun is on the zerks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll try anything. The kit was new when I bought the car and they just started the project. They didn't have the fittings in yet. I took it upon myself to do it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sounds like they may not have the holes in the bushings lined up with the holes in the spindles for the grease fittings.Remove the fittings and poke a small screw driver in to see if thats the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts