Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Stripping the wall down in the living room this morning, I happened across this Neat poster. It's in as horrible shape as it could be, but its still readable.
So we gently removed it from the inside of the outside wall, and laid it on a piece of foam insulation for now. It's dated 1890, and last week we found a school book from a little girl dated the same. Now this poster was stuck there behind a beam. The living room was actually the addition on the home way back when it became a bed and breakfast for the train station.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
That is outstanding. You never know what you will find in old (OLD) houses. From '76 to '93 we owned a house that had been a church rectory. When they built a new rectory our house had been moved about a block away to where it sat then (and sets now). It was moved in the early '40's and it was originally built in the 1880's. It had so many additions and changes over the many years that it was not even close to the same old house. We bought the house together with my wife's Father and Mother to give them a decent house for retirement. My father in law was a very good carpenter so we figured that we could do all changes and upgrades ourselves.
It had been a single dwelling house that had been changed to dual living house for rental purposes. They simply walled off an area around the open staircase in an area that was a front hallway along side the staircase. We had the upstairs and they had the down. We put in a door in the walled off area so we could go into the downstairs without going outside. One day we were working on the house and Janet and her Mom decided to walk downtown. So I went with them. Leaving my Father in law working on the house. He said he was going to open up the area under the staircase and install a closet.
We left the house as he was walking towards the area with hammer and drywall spades in hand.
We were gone about an hour and when we returned he was setting in the kitchen having a soda. Kiddingly I said "worked so hard ya had ta have a break huh"? He said "yup, but I'm all done" with a big shmit eating grin. He had punched a hole in the drywall and found a complete cedar wood lined closet, with paint cans setting in it. It even had a light bulb in a fixture. He said all he did was reach in and pull the chain and he had light. He cleared all the drywall out around the door frame. made up some frame trim (but not painted, lol) and nailed it all in. It became a standard inside joke with him. Whenever he would talk about how simple something would be to do on the house, I would say "and I suppose you'll just reach in and turn the light on, huh"?
I will always thank that man for teaching me so many carpentry skills. Not that I would ever be a carpenter but enough so that I can do almost anything around house with decent results.
Anywho. Lots of stories of home repair and remodeling in that house. Some good and some not so good.

Markus O'Woodworkious

·
Registered
750 Posts
that is too cool! What are your plans for it.....

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is too cool! What are your plans for it.....
I'm really not sure, we will put it in a frame behind glass to preserve what's left. I want to show my neighbor ( she's a Pastor ) to see what she has to say.

I'm sure we will probably just keep it, unless someone comes along and offers a ridiculous amount :) :) which I'm sure wont happen. Then if you read the scripture, that would sort of go against its message. :) :)

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Pretty cool find Steve! Working in construction most of my adult life, I always looked for rare things when we opened up old walls. When I was an apprentice I was on a job that we opened up walls and found a bunch of old records that were one sided recordings! Some were even in book like sets, and all were like new condition. Before I could even give them a good look over, the foreman on the job came over and took them all. Wish I had stuffed some away before anyone could notice what I found!
We also found the pad for the carpets was old newspapers from the 20's and 30's, carefully laid out by each other to cover the whole floor! Hundreds of newspapers, and some of them around the perimeter were in very good shape. I did manage to get one of those before they confiscated them all!

·
Registered
922 Posts
All I ever found was an old mousetrap, but it was different than any I've ever seen (better mousetrap?). It was in an old farmhouse we were tearing down for the lumber. Oh, and about 6 or 7 joist spaces between the 1st floor and 2nd floor, were packed with honeycomb. My dad and our neighbor split the honey and the neighbor got the bees.

·
Registered
643 Posts
HMMMN, about the best thing I have ever found was the stuff I forgot where I had just left it. Ya know, its a really great feeling when I did find it!

·
Registered
101 Posts
DSCN4407.jpg I found some old stuff, in a house across the street from my house, a fireman medic recently bought the small house, ,It was the original house in this area that once was a Holly farm, and was built in the 20's. We have lived here for 35 years and there has been probably 8 or 9 different people owned the house across the street,and everyone of them have done some sort of remodel
on it.. The owner now is no different he decided to remove a porch type structure on the front of the house,, he tore all the existing framing down and found a old brick floor buried under the wood floor that had been covering it,,, I was helping him remove and haul off the trash,,, I found some big boards that were about 4" thick and at least 12" wide, and partially burned on one side,, below those boards was a old burn pile, .. I sterted cleaning up the partially burned trash and different things,, when I found these matching pair 1934 Oregon license plates, partially bu rusty a little but still in great condition, with most of the original paint still there,,

Attachments

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Now that is a great find Steve. I wonder what its worth to a picker?
Mario

1 - 13 of 13 Posts