Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read on the HAMB that a closed down dragstrip near Keokuk, IA is going to be refurbished and reopen. You don't here that very often. Keokuk is where I bought my Henry J.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
That's awesome Gary! Wish we would hear more of that happening...... :)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
We have a weird situation down here with Firebird Raceway. The whole facility with several tracks and venues is all on leased Indian Reservation. I have no idea of what the politics may be that is going on there but the word is, and I cannot confirm this in any way, the Reservation has upped the lease cost so much that the strip owner is quiting, shutting down the facility. Walking away. Several rumors says he was looking to buy his own land just south of Firebird to build his own drag strip. Which will take several years. Now the news said something about NHRA was working with someone, Reservation or the strip owner, about helping to keep it a drag strip. What that means I don't know. If the Reservation will keep it a racing facility under new management? Or if the NHRA will take it over or what. I haven't heard of a solid answer yet. Other rumors were the Indian Reservation was to tear it all down and build something else on the land?? The location has become pretty valuable over the years with the city constantly creeping southward and not far from surrounding it. So we'll see what happens. I hope it stays open somehow. Mark L

1 - 4 of 4 Posts