Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to say thanks again for everyone on this forum for helping me get my car done. I spent all weekend driving it around, learning how to drive it it and just what it could do. I drives better than I would have imagined, sounds awesome and boy can she light off the tires. 170 degrees while cruising and creeps in the 200's at a light but goes right back down driving. now I get to start installing the stereo, working on the door panels and such. Thanks again for all the help. what a blast to drive.

·
Administrator
13,662 Posts
It's been fun watching and following along with your build Dave! Perfect example of what people can do without having some giant shop and a bunch of exotic equipment! Glad you're able to enjoy it now!
How far from your radiator are your fan blades? If they're more than an inch it's too far, and should add a fan spacer. If it's not centered on the radiator that can also contribute to heating up stuck in traffic. My '39 engine sits low enough it only pulls air through the bottom half of the core. So I added an electric fan in front, and an adjustable thermostat I set at 185 degrees. If I get stuck in traffic and temps rise it never gets over 185 as the pusher fan comes on and keeps it cooling. Then it shuts off once I get moving again.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a pusher in front of the radiator. Maybe I should see if I can move the radiator to the front of the car to make room for a fan.

·
Administrator
13,662 Posts
I have a pusher in front of the radiator. Maybe I should see if I can move the radiator to the front of the car to make room for a fan.
If you have a pusher it's already limited air flow. No room to make it a puller Dave?
If there's not enough room, then the next option is a higher cfm fan, which can be found cheap at a wrecking yard. A Lincoln Versais, or Taurus SHO V6 have two speed fans that move twice the air any aftermarket fan can move. They are rated 4600 cfm in high speed, and over 3000 cfm in low speed. I got one for $20 at my local pick n pull yard. I temp wired it on my garage floor to the trunk mounted battery in my Austin, and when I touched the leads to the fan the fan lifted off the garage floor and pulled the leads loose! They're killer fans, and easy to adapt to most older cars by trimming the shroud to fit.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I agree with Vall. I had a problem with heating when I first started driving mine. Don’t laugh but I bought an additive for the coolant called Wetter Water. It honestly draws down my average temps about 15 degrees. I went to a higher CFM fan, mounted it as a Puller and sealed up the shroud. I also wrestled with the temp sensors. I checked the sensors with the temps at the point of their installation versus the temps showing the gauges. I found that my gauge was reading high so I replaced the sensor in the intake. Also had a two speed fan and tested the temp there versus the gauge, since that was the point I wanted to read the temp to turn the fan up. I sat the fan to come on at 195 and to go to high speed at 205 and once on to stay on until it dropped to 180. I discovered another problem I was having was with my timing. I was using a digital MSD with mechanical advance. I was driving the car as if at the strip with the timing set to let me low speed cruise. Eventually I went to a vacuum advance and finally put in a Holley Sniper with Hyperspark computer controlled timing. In 105 degree ambient temperature the temps now go from 193 then drop to 186. Normal 80-90 degrees they vary from 186-192. Sometimes a quick street romp will get them up to 196. Sorry for the rant, just my experience with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts