Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello you guys, I been away for a little while and just wanted to see how every body is doing. Looks like your all doing great! I'm hoping to get my new car hauling trailer in a few weeks. Having one built in Iowa by this place, http://www.sltrailers.com/Home_Page.html

It turns out my wife has little interest in my car or going to shows / races etc.. And I will be hitting the road for the most part alone, except for maybe a dog. None of my friends are retired and like normal responsible people, they have jobs. Nobody can just take off and go when I do very often.

Plus at 62 I'm not exactly young. Right now the prospect of dragging loading ramps out and loading my Nova on a trailer isn't too bad, but in a few years it will be.

So I'm getting this trailer so I can safely and easily load and un load the car alone even if I break it at the drags. Its 18' long with brakes on both axels and a electric / hydraulic lift that tilts the trailer floor up and the back down even with the ground, all you have to do is drive up on the trailer.

It has a remote you keep in your pocket or where ever and you just lower the floor from up on the trailer inside the car. And it has a 10.000 pound capacity winch that works off the same remote. They have a manual lift one but I don't have a parking brake, just Park in the transmission.
I was afraid the car would come out of gear or something and roll off the trailer while I was on the ground, and its tough to get the car out of park while its on a hill sometimes.

All I have to do now is get in the car and put in in neutral hold the brake, and hit the remote, then just coast off the trailer.

Going to pull the Nova behind my RV, and hit the road. I'm looking for some cool nostaligia car shows / drag races etc..

I'm pretty excited about doing all this, mostly it doesn't seem real to me.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Very cool wish I could follow along....remember there are thieves out there keep her locked up

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey you guys. Boy thanks a lot for the info for the gasser show in California. They say they have room for 80 cars, I would love to register my car for the show, just for the fun of it. I don't think it would place any where what with all the big boys and the big toys they brought. But there would be some awesome rides to see I know that! Heck it would be a big deal to me to just have some pictures of my car in the show with the big boys.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey Gary, that would be great if you could make it! I've got my car registered for the show, should be a great event. There's still a few spots left and you can register online on their website. Easy peasy. Your car is as much as pile of awesome as any of those "big boy" cars!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
California here I come !

Hey Craig, the Californian who would make an awesome Texan. I'll be seein you in El Segundo August 27th. I' registered, have my email confirmation, and printed my ticket and one for a guest if I have one.

This will be the biggest event of any kind for me, and frankly I'm real excited and a little scared. I love the sensation!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Very cool wish I could follow along....remember there are thieves out there keep her locked up
Man I was just thinking the same thing. Locked and alarmed for sure n

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man I was just thinking the same thing. Locked and alarmed for sure n
Yes of course your right. I don't as yet have a clue as to weather this museum has space for parking a big ass motorhome with my car behind it. If so, I'm not worried, "too much". How ever if I would have to get an RV park some where it would need to be close by. I can drive the Nova all over town "most likely" if I'm a good boy. I do know that there will be few if any moments that I wont be in sight of the car but not every second.

Here in Texas I can carry my Super Red Hawk 44 mag in plain sight just about every where. But I never do that, I'm not running from nobody, and nobody is running from me that's for sure. I'll have it close by out in California. I'm going to contact the museum and ask about all this, if I don't like what I hear I wont be there. At least on the road, the Nova is with me all the time and I see it clearly in the rear camera going down the road. And there are cameras on both sides near the front of the coach facing backwards that come on when I use either turn signal so I can see real well down either side before changing lanes. And its also a security system that will let me know if some one is any where with in 10 feet of the whole vehicle, it will wake me up in the bed room with the TV on showing what went on and keeps video of the event.

If I'm in the motor home and somebody can get my car off the trailer with out me knowing it and with out any way to un lock the hydraulic system to even lower the trailer and with out my blowing a basket ball size hole in somebody's head, they can have the car.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey Craig, the Californian who would make an awesome Texan. I'll be seein you in El Segundo August 27th. I' registered, have my email confirmation, and printed my ticket and one for a guest if I have one.

This will be the biggest event of any kind for me, and frankly I'm real excited and a little scared. I love the sensation!
Wow, Gary that's great! Steve (Sbauman2) said he'd be there too. I'm also excited/ scared to have my cobbled together plymouth at such a gathering! It should be great though. Your chance to talk me into becoming an official Texan maybe? Haha. Don't worry too much about the neighborhood......keep your 44 under the seat.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For me, just being there is enough. I will have pictures of all the cars and mine will be with them.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Gary, yes I have been to this show. This is their third year and I was a participant in the first. The museum is located in a somewhat industrial part of town. There is a lot of street parking available for cars/trucks with trailers; very few of the cars were driven to the event. I rented a Uhaul trailer to get mine there as I will this year also. Theft or vandalism of your car at the event is highly unlikely plus it's a very well run event.
Really glad to hear that I might be able to meet you and Craig at the event. Mine will be the Yellow 53 Ford Mainline.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Oh that's great Steve it will be a pleasure to meet you too. I contacted Tara Hitzig the director and asked about parking and such, she said what you said. No problem parking our rigs in the street, nobody would be stupid enough to mess with anything and she was looking forward to seeing us. She seems very nice, and she is having some one else, a lady who knows all about our cars and the gasser community in general and will be contacting me with more info.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh Boy

Well I have been in touch with the nice folks at The Automobile driving Museum and it looks to be a nice time. Dawn and Tera have been filling me in on things and got the Museum to allow my car inside the day prior if necessary for protection and we will all park our rigs in the street for the event. Looks like Dawn is serious gasser material, she sent me this picture of her car.

She lives near by and will meet me there when I arrive to get me lined out. This is pretty cool stuff!

Fat Bastard.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looks like a cool event it's only about 4 1/2 hrs from me here in Las Vegas would love to go and get some more inspiration to build mine even though its going to be an out side the box kind of build.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well Dawn is or soon will be a member of this forum. She had said that they had made a larger effort to get the word out about the event and asked me how I found out. Steve I didn't mention you by name, I just said somebody here who has been in the event before and knows about it, told me of it. GasserGal is Dawns user name here she told me. And she sent me a U Tube link to the "Park& Bark" either after or during the show, if you like you can go out back and do a burn out for the many waiting spectators, just don't get side ways nor other wise get out of shape doing so. I copied and pasted part of her email to me because she explains it better.

"Hey Gary,

It is absolutely gonna be a great time! Great cars! Great people! Great Day!

The panel discussion is fantastic! If you've never had the pleasure of meeting Ed Iskenderian, you are in for a treat! He is turning 95 this year, and man does he like to talk! Hahaha... Seeing him is just a joy. Bones Balogh is awesome too. He just turned 81 last week. They are kinda the Dynamic Duo. I've only met Ted Radoumis in passing at previous events. I'm SUPER EXCITED Larry Sutton accepted my invitation. I've never met him, but he's so much a part of racing history, especially at Lion's Drag Strip. CAN"T WAIT to meet him!!!!

The "Park & Bark" is great fun too. Seeing all the cars is good, but hearing them all run is wayyyy better!

We (ADM Staff) are suppose to discourage burnouts when leaving, but truly, it is the coolest!!! They have told me I'm not even allowed to be in the street. I must stay on the sidewalk. But trust me when I say, I will have a good spectator spot! Hahaha...
Turn up the volume & check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJjpuRlbdaM SO MUCH FUN!!! But remember, I'm not condoning this activity!

Thanx for your kind words about Fat Bastard. He is more like a cartoon than a car. He kinda has his own identity and fan following here locally.

I registered for Gasser Hot Rods as username "GasserGal". Thanx for letting me know of it. I may know the guy who told you about the show."

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Dawn is correct about Ed Iskenderian! He's a great guy, and loves to talk! He's also very generous with his time, and stayed well after his visit here at the local community college! ed signed the dashboard on my old Austin gasser when he was here for a visit!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow Vall I bet you never wipe that off the dash! I'm not sure I have the stones to ask him to sign my dash, but I might. Mr. Iskenderian years ago forgot more about cars and racing than I will ever know in my life.

His name has been part of me and my love for cars since I was a kid.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Wow how cool is that. I never new you had that. I guess I never asked either. :).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts