Gasser HotRod Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
As I set here wearing my Clay Smith beanie on, I too wish there had been a better place to have heard about this. I did some checking when I heard Lash had passed and found out he lived by himself and didn't have family close. After settling my Uncle's estate, I understand the need for the auction. It was just weird that it came full circle and appeared on our website. I am not looking to steal a sale if thats what you think. I believe if I can support his estate and keep something of his to keep the gasser flame burning, then I am doing right. If we want to do a memorial it would need to be on his build page as I do not believe there was a memorial service for him by his family. Just my opinion. Sorry if I ruffled someones feathers.
Mike you’re good with us. I think I can speak for Vall and Steve. We know you long enough. We are just upset with how the forum had to deal with the news. We were shut down about the memorial. When I say we I mean Vall. I wanted to support with a write up and all was canceled at his daughters request. In some way I understand why someone would not want that news broadcast as there are bad people out there. But no after thoughts were even mentioned. Yet here is the auction being advertised. Just not sitting well with some of us. This doesn’t mean we frown on our members bidding. At least I don’t. I have my clay smith beanie and I’m good with that.

Reactions: sbauman2

·
Administrator
13,605 Posts
As I set here wearing my Clay Smith beanie on, I too wish there had been a better place to have heard about this. I did some checking when I heard Road Angel had passed and found out he lived by himself and didn't have family close. After settling my Uncle's estate, I understand the need for the auction. It was just weird that it came full circle and appeared on our website. I am not looking to steal a sale if thats what you think. I believe if I can support his estate and keep something of his to keep the gasser flame burning, then I am doing right. If we want to do a memorial it would need to be on his build page as I do not believe there was a memorial service for him by his family. Just my opinion. Sorry if I ruffled someones feathers.
I agree with Steve and Mario, Mike. Your posts ruffled no feathers, nor did I think you're out to steal anything. There's a back story here that not everyone knows, and it concerns his family wanting his passing to be almost secretive in nature. So we did have a memorial at his build page, but were asked to delete it, and remove any mention of him. So it's not you, or anything you said.

·
Registered
670 Posts
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also was not looking to steal a sale but believed I could support the family. I was not aware of a story and did not know. I have withdrawn my bids and hope for the best. Will try to be more on the computer. Will be off cause building a smoker from a 250 gallon propane tank for a client.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also was not looking to steal a sale but believed I could support the family. I was not aware of a story and did not know. I have withdrawn my bids and hope for the best. Will try to be more on the computer. Will be off cause building a smoker from a 250 gallon propane tank for a client.
Rik,
If there is something that belonged to Road Angel (Jesus I hate not being able to use his name) that you want, hell yes, bid on it. I'm sure that he would want his stuff, to go to forum members rather than strangers. And the cheaper you can get it the better for you and no one here is going to think any the less of you. There were a couple things I thought about but I know the shipping would be ridiculous so I didn't bid.
I just checked out the bidding, can't believe how low the bid is for the Ranger and his tools are practically being given away the prices are so low; what a fucking bitch. Like Mario though I have the Clay Smith Woodpecker knit cap he gifted me with. Since his passing, in honor of him I wear it when I'm working on one of my gassers.

·
Administrator
13,605 Posts
Rik, I would not hesitate to bid on this auction either, and as Steve said it's better his things went to forum members than to strangers, regardless of how cheap they went for. Hope you'll bid and win what you want.

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
👍👍👍👍👍

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Gentlemen, as the person that posted this whole thing, I have to let you all know I was not aware of the person that passed. I did not know his name before I posted the article. My intent was to just give everyone a chance to bid on these gasser items. Trust me, had I known who it was and the feelings of this group, I would have NEVER started this. Once I found out the particulars, I apologized and dropped the conversation. All I was doing was letting everyone know this was available and how to bid on it. I did not mean to piss everyone off. This was listed on my Daughter's site and I just wanted to pass it on, that's all. I am sorry if I upset you guys, that was not my intention.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
No one on this forum is pissed at you, period. You were simply helping your daughter conduct a successful auction that contained gasser related articles, tools and other items. After not hearing anything for quite some time from our member (forum name Road Angel) a couple of us did some research and were able to contact the members daughter. A couple of us were able to speak to Road Angel and that's when we found out he was terminally ill and some days later that he had died. Per her request of not wanting any information with the members real name and his death posted on the forum a forum administrator removed any mention of his death. This member had a lot of friends on the forum and we were very disappointed that we could not honor him by name on the forum per the daughters request who had every right to do so. We didn't understand it but we did as asked. The turning point was when you posted the auction (unaware of the aforementioned request) and the vast majority of members knew right away whose property it was being auctioned and there was a collective WTF!! If I'm not mistaken the auction is over and I hope it was a success and the members will move on still wondering WTF.
Let me reiterate, no one has any animosity toward you. I for one hope you remain a member and continue to post on our forum. It was very hard writing this and not being able to mention his name because a couple members, including myself, had become close on the forum.
RIP ROAD ANGEL

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
No one on this forum is pissed at you, period. You were simply helping your daughter conduct a successful auction that contained gasser related articles, tools and other items. After not hearing anything for quite some time from our member (forum name Road Angel) a couple of us did some research and were able to contact the members daughter. A couple of us were able to speak to Road Angel and that's when we found out he was terminally ill and some days later that he had died. Per her request of not wanting any information with the members real name and his death posted on the forum a forum administrator removed any mention of his death. This member had a lot of friends on the forum and we were very disappointed that we could not honor him by name on the forum per the daughters request who had every right to do so. We didn't understand it but we did as asked. The turning point was when you posted the auction (unaware of the aforementioned request) and the vast majority of members knew right away whose property it was being auctioned and there was a collective WTF!! If I'm not mistaken the auction is over and I hope it was a success and the members will move on still wondering WTF.
Let me reiterate, no one has any animosity toward you. I for one hope you remain a member and continue to post on our forum. It was very hard writing this and not being able to mention his name because a couple members, including myself, had become close on the forum.
RIP ROAD ANGEL
Thank you for this post. Again, I did not know. I guess what they say about stupidity being a blessing is true. As for the auction, it was a success and the items will be picked up this weekend. There was some serious bidding and hopefully, the gasser will be rebuilt and ran again. I wanted to bid on it, but my wife said that we had no place for it since my other hotrod occupies the garage and there is no more room. So hopefully, it goes to a deserving person. Thanks for understanding my situation. Rick

·
Administrator
13,605 Posts
Thank you for this post. Again, I did not know. I guess what they say about stupidity being a blessing is true. As for the auction, it was a success and the items will be picked up this weekend. There was some serious bidding and hopefully, the gasser will be rebuilt and ran again. I wanted to bid on it, but my wife said that we had no place for it since my other hotrod occupies the garage and there is no more room. So hopefully, it goes to a deserving person. Thanks for understanding my situation. Rick
Just want to reiterate what Steve said above. No animosity, or issues with anything you did at all. As mentioned by Steve we were very disappointed that we weren't allowed to mention Road Angel's passing, or memorialize him in a post, so it was surprise on our part, not any anger. He was a special guy, and a steady contributor to posts about both of his vehicles.
We certainly hope you'll continue to post as your build goes forward also!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just want to reiterate what Steve said above. No animosity, or issues with anything you did at all. As mentioned by Steve we were very disappointed that we weren't allowed to mention Road Angel's passing, or memorialize him in a post, so it was surprise on our part, not any anger. He was a special guy, and a steady contributor to posts about both of his vehicles.
We certainly hope you'll continue to post as your build goes forward also!
Thanks Vall. I appreciate your comments. Yes, I will continue to post here since I have a love for the gassers. I really wish I could have gotten the truck for myself, especially after I became aware of the owner. But I am sure it is going to a new owner and he will take care of it. Thanks again for your response. Rick

21 - 31 of 31 Posts