Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out the latest issue of "Hot Rod Magazine". The cover story is about "Gassers".

Amazing the "gasser frenzy" that is going on right now.

Have "gasser styled cars/truck" become the newest craze of recent days ..... much like "rat rods" did a few years ago????

It was about 2003 when we decided to build a "street/stripgasser" and do some nostalgia/vintage drag racing. So after 9 years & 3 cars later we finally have the kind of gasser-styled car we want.

I never thought gassers would have become as popular as they are today.

Back in the day, when all my friends were cruising in muscle cars, I had a '40 Chevy coupe powered by '57 Vette 301 ci w/three speed on the floor. Have always regretted selling that car. Although the Opel is nowhere close to being a '40 Chevy it is a car I am happy to own.

This Summer, we are looking forward to going to the nostalgia racing & shows that are in our area. Hopefully the gas prices will continue to drop so we can afford to go further than our local "hamburger joint cruises" this year.

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Haven't read Hot Rod magazine in a long time. Guess I'll pick up a copy and see how they did covering gasser style cars today. We seem to be behind the curve in Oregon with gassermania. Last summer most the big cruises we attended our small group of 3-4 cars were usually the only gassers there. This year I've already seen a few more that weren't around last year, so I suspect the big shows will bring out more too.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Last night we went to one of the area's NICEST CAR CRUISE...... Mineral Beach in Finleyville, PA.

Weather was in the low 70's, partly cloudy skies with a occasional gentle breeze..... a "perfect night" for a car cruise. It was the first time we went to this cruise this year.

My hot rod buddy (previous owner of the Opel) brought his Studebaker gasser up from Weirton, WVA.

Being it was a car which had never been to Mineral Beach people were looking at it all night. There were also quite a few other gasser-styled cars that I had not seen before.

So the Gasser craze is "alive & well" here in Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Hey John. I pulled the Hot Rod MAg out of the mail box and retired directly to the "library". Pretty good reading and great interest story about the '56 GAsser. I like that Studie too. You know the Gasser Attack is getting stronger when you read all the comments on threads on the H.A.M.B. that states "the gasser fad is getting overdone". It is just it's own facet of car building. Not everyone likes it but it's just another form of auto expressionism. Mark L

·
Registered
13 Posts
my sons who are 30 and 27 and into hot rods dont get why i didnt lower my binder. only the older (no offense) guys get it. its what i grew up with. i call my bathroom the library to

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
I see that a lot also. "I'm sick of seeing gassers!" or "Why does everyone have to stick a straight axle in a nice car, they handle horrible".
I'm just not sure where these guys are coming from, as many of them are older guys like me. I sure don't see enough gassers to get sick of them, although I am happy to see more than I used to see! As for handling "horrible"; I wont try to keep up with a newer Corvette in the corners, but I do like the way mine corners just fine.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Those that wan to and can do, do, those that don't want to don't or can't, just pass on others info and make it fact. I bet 99% of the guys that say bad things about gassers and straight axles have either never owned one or have never even been near one. I agree that many cars were built with questionable drag links and front specs but much of that has been addressed and fixed if you are willing to go on a good board like ours and ask for advice. The fixes are simple and affective. A lot of the complainers are still in the "tomatoes are poisonous" era. LOL. MArk L

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
^^ And they want their hot rods to be like new Corvettes, smooth & quiet & comfortable & ... Not Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty! :D

Since riding in the Mouse Trap I am so jonesin' to get mine finished. Just got a scattershield. Getting closer.

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
^^ And they want their hot rods to be like new Corvettes, smooth & quiet & comfortable & ... Not Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty! :D

Since riding in the Mouse Trap I am so jonesin' to get mine finished. Just got a scattershield. Getting closer.
Glad you got the scattershield!

I think Mark really hit the nail on the head! Most people are just passing on myths, and not dealing with real experience. I remember the first straight axle I installed in the '57 Belair I bought from my parents. Used a '58 Chev truck axle, and had no idea about geometry at 19 yrs. old, so I got the kingpin angle wrong, and it was a bit squirrely at anything over 35 mph. After asking a lot of old timers who knew their stuff, I figured it out and ended up finding a shop in town that sold wedges that went between the axle and the spring. A 5 degree wedge made the car handle completely diferent, and I finally felt comfortable driving it down the freeway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
my binder mite not handle like a new car but i wont fall asleep drivin it, and it handles alot better than it did before. they dont know what their talkin about

·
Registered
699 Posts
Ive only seen one straight axle gasser since 2005 when my buddy built the Falcon. It was in the street last spring here in mass. A mid 50s chevy. Im not sure why people think its overdone when i havent seen that many. I have contemplated a straight axle setup a few times.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
^^ And they want their hot rods to be like new Corvettes, smooth & quiet & comfortable & ... Not Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty! :D .....
Good description of a "street rod/street rodder"..... nothing wrong with them "if" that is what people are happy with. I am NOT one of them.

From my experiences too many street rodders are very like Corvette owners..... narrowed minded and overly critical when it comes to appraising others cars. If the car is NOT a certain WAY they are blasted.

IMHO...... Unlike hot rodders where "anything goes"!!!! Unlike hot rodders who appreciated all kinds of cars and the work it took to build them.

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Street cars that push the limit are what I love! When I look at a car that has the look and sound of something that makes the average person wonder if it should even be on the street, it puts a big old grin on my face!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Yup, you guys are all my Brothers from other Mothers!!! Mark L

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Street cars that push the limit are what I love! When I look at a car that has the look and sound of something that makes the average person wonder if it should even be on the street, it puts a big old grin on my face!
Well put Vall. Especially the part about "makes the average person wonder if it should even be on the street".

That's why I feel the terms "street rod" and "hot rod" have next to nothing in common with each other.

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
I've always felt the term street rod was a mild mannered vehicle that you could toss the keys to your mom and she would have no problems driving it. A hot rod is a car that not just anyone can drive, and if they do it's after you tell them all the little things they need to know to drive it. I doubt most people would know how to get my Austin fired up unless I went through the drill with them. :)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've always felt the term street rod was a mild mannered vehicle that you could toss the keys to your mom and she would have no problems driving it.... A hot rod is a car that not just anyone can drive....
Yep..... After years of living in the shadows of street rods with power everything (except under the hood) the current popularity of gassers, muscle cars, rat rods & other nostalgic rides the high performance engine that used to be the focal point of cars. Before the onset of what is known today as "street rod" I know of no one who would have been happy with any kind of car that had "the look" but included with a 305ci SBC loaded with A/C, power everything, billet everywhere, 20k paint jobs & one off custom wheels.

Do I appreciate these cars..... I sure do!!! They are amazing!!! But not for me. More & more the high performance engine is making its way back into street rods. As well as more & more true "hot rods" are once again being built.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Boy, you guys have got it nailed. I agree 100%. I would rather spend an hour talking to someone that built their car that looks a little less pretty than five minutes with the A$$hole that paid for his megabuck car to be built that doesn't have a clue. Dont get me wrong, I have had some things done for my car and yes I wish I had more money. But that wouldn't stop me from beating up on my car on the weekends. It is just me and a bunch of you other folks too. Like Mark said, we know your momma.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts