Gasser HotRod Forums banner
201 - 213 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Sounds like a great time Cody. Lonestar is on my list of shows. It should be a no brainer, my son lives there. Just finding the time from work to go. Darn work gets in the way of more stuff these days. Glad you got the temp issue licked.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
The Lonestar show was a blast! Lots of gassers this year as well as so other cool cars!

The car ran cool all weekend since I added that fan shroud!

I ran all new wires from the fuel gauge to the fuel sender. I have a feeling the sender is stuck on full because it is cantered slightly. The fuel sender is a cylinder tube that a float rides up and down in (its in a jegs aluminum fuel cell). I mounted it using self tapper screws so it has probably pinched in somewhat. I replaced the sender once already as the original had the same issue. Looks like I need to drill out the holes slightly larger and use the supplied installation ring to insure it goes it straight and doesn't pinch. Thats the only thing i know of to try! So tired of this fuel level issue! Other than that things are going pretty well.
I still have to take the front seats to have them recovered in a tuck and roll pattern and make better seat mounts. Current they are just screwed to the floor (not very safe at all). So I need to weld up new mounts and then bolt them to the floor instead!
Would have loved to work on it this weekend however it has rained everyday so far!, i know we need rain badly here in San Antonio but I wish it would only rain on weekdays..lol!

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Glad that you are running cool. Is the fuel level matched to the gauge? (Ohm range) I know it is a PITA to keep removing the tank to fix stuff like that. And the seats... all it would take is for you to punch it and have the seats pull out of the floor (all that HP!!! :D ). Better fix that soon, we don't want you to be a statistic.

Raining here too, but at least yours is a warm rain, right?

Can't wait to get mine to your stage where I have to chase those last couple things down. Keep it up.

Mike

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Thanks Mike...yeah the sender and gauge are matched ohm wise. The tank is easy as its a fuel cell mounted in the trunk with the sender on the top so its easy access. I have grounded the tank, replaced the wiring, so now I am sure its the fact that the float is getting stuck at full! Guess we shall see if thats correct as soon as i get a chance to remove it.
Yes its warm rain but lots of lightening to go with it. Power went out a few times..then the worst part was the cable TV went out...total panic in the house...lol! Looks like next weekend i might get a break.
I agree about that seat issue..thats next on the list! Sometimes chasing those little things takes much longer than fixing the big things. Right now it seems the little thing list just grows and grows...but I am getting there.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Is the dash gauge past full like pinned to the full side. It may indicate an open circuit from the dash gauge pink wire to the sender. Or even the sender not making contact in the windings of the sending unit. Grounding the pink wire would pin it on the empty side.
Hope you get this problem solved.
Mario

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
I'd pull the sender out and temp wire it outside the tank. Then run the sender up and down to it's maximum travel and check the gauge. If it's reading properly outside the tank, then it most likely is getting stuck, but if not there's another issue. Most GM sending units will go to "full" on the gauge when the wire is shorted to ground. Here's a great troubleshooting guide at American Autowire's site:
http://www.americanautowire.com/view-faq/general-motors-fuel-gauge-troubleshooting/

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Is the dash gauge past full like pinned to the full side. It may indicate an open circuit from the dash gauge pink wire to the sender. Or even the sender not making contact in the windings of the sending unit. Grounding the pink wire would pin it on the empty side.
Hope you get this problem solved.
Mario
It only goes to slightly below the full which is about the amount of gas in the cell.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 · (Edited)
I'd pull the sender out and temp wire it outside the tank. Then run the sender up and down to it's maximum travel and check the gauge. If it's reading properly outside the tank, then it most likely is getting stuck, but if not there's another issue. Most GM sending units will go to "full" on the gauge when the wire is shorted to ground. Here's a great troubleshooting guide at American Autowire's site:
http://www.americanautowire.com/view-faq/general-motors-fuel-gauge-troubleshooting/
I think you have it correct Val..i need to test with it outside the tank and run the float up and down to see what happens.

Will let you all know as soon as it gets nice enough out (i.e... No rain

Tested outside the cell fine. I replaced the wire from the gauge to the sender. The gauge went all the way to the full mark. So next I replaced the sender in the tank. The sender's float was stuck in the full position. Seems the way the sender was installed it was binding the float. As a review i have a fuel cell in the trunk and the sender is a tube with a float the rides inside the tube according to the fuel level in the tank. So i replaced the sender with a new one I had and this time I used the supplied mounting ring. I had to drill out the mounting holes so the bolts on the collar would fit and then slid the new sender in and tightened the bolts holding the collar. No more binding and the fuel level now reads correctly! Finally,

I have been putting miles on the new engine, getting her good and broken in. Its time for its first oil change (actually its second). I am still going to run regular oil (not synthetic) for the next few oil changes to make sure the breakin has been done. Still have lots of little things to do. I have to hook up the Tach and Voltmeter, and all the gauge lights.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Here are a few pictures that I took this year

The first two pictures were taken at the Houston 55-56-57 Convention in Houston Texas.

The Next picture was the Car that I sold 6 years ago to help pay for my wife's medical bills. It is a 1969 AMC Hurst SC/Rambler. Took me 7 yeas of sweat and time (not to mention dollars) to build it. Sold it for enough money to pay off the Bills with enough money left over to buy the 57 chevy. I miss that car...but sure am happy with the 57 Gasser!

Here is what I used the money for from the Sale of the Rambler. This is what the 57 looked like when I first bought her..It sure has come a long way...and still a ways to go. But guess they are never really done.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Hey dave
You did a great job on that 57. Sorry you lost the rambler.
Mario

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
I remember this photo of when you started!

I didn't know that you had a Scrambler! Love that car too. Saw one when I was a kid and it fit the times perfectly (Bi-Centenial - 1976). Always thought they were too cool for school. Sorry it had to go but I like where you are, debt free and a cool '57.

Mike

201 - 213 of 213 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.