Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okey guys, sorry for beeing away for so long now with updates on my Anglia/Pop, but i have bought a new house recently, and im too busy with selling my old house and keeping track on all the stuff to that needs to be arranged.
Anyway, there has been some progress on my Italian car as i sent it away to have a cage built. And here is a thread on the Fiat as promised :cool:

I started with this:

This has to be modified, not room for the trans and engine i plan for in here :rolleyes:

In early stage i removed the IRS and transmission completly, then trying some wheels on to get an idea of how it will look.

Trying some wheeliebars on it:

On its way to get a new heart:

Ready to get the cage built:

Cage in progress:

Almost ready, rear wheel hight set, but needs to be lowered in the front...

Done!

Turns out i need to do some minor adjustments to the transmission mounts, not the cage itself, but mount that holds the trans. Also going to remove inner fenders etc.
Car will have a yellow paint job, with black details here and there..

Got a sketch for the cars logo :cool:

Unfortunatly i will be busy for the next month too, but hope to get some more done before i move into the new house. Working with new axles and a new transmission, then some ladderbars and a coilover setup in the rear, then i will at least have a roller.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is cool! I wish I could find pictures of the one from the Bug-Ins we had here in WA state in the 80s-90s. It was a screamer!

I like the name/logo. Looks like fun.

Mike
Thanks Mike!
What color did it have? I have collected some pictures of these, but there arent too many built over the years.

I have not landed on the engine combo yet, but i have one in progress with turbo, intercooler and digital fuel injection. But the most correct would be an carburated or mechanically injected motor - and im working on something cool for it.
The good thing is that its very easy to swap engine/trans back there.

Anyway, i plan to put some real power in the back of it, and start pushing records when i have become friends with it on the strip ;) Fastest 500/600 i know of have done 10.40`s on the 1/4.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That thing is cool man..... crazy to me how narrow those cars are. Should be a heck of a ride when your done

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Wow Marius, it looks great. I don't think I have ever seen an engine and trans mounted as part of the roll cage. It is a great way of doing the mounts without a frame on the car though. Have fun with the new house, hoping you got lots of garage space.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been a while now... Have been moving into our new house and all work thats involved with a project like that (and im not even finished yet).
But i've just been in the garage, almost a month since last time i did some work. Its good for the soul to finally be able to do what i like, even if it was only a couple of hours.

Have started to sort out the trans/motor mounts as they are little bit off center. Lack of tools is always a problem, and now i need to get myself a laser-level-tool :D

Here is a couple of fresh pics as it stands now. Nothing new really... just keeping the thread alive ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot guys, i really appreciate your support, it gives me the little extra "kick" to do more.

It IS a VW swing axle :) I will have a built trans for it later, but same style and type, but with spool and other gears.
Im having trouble locate the short axles though.. I need -5" shorter than the shortest stock axles, and they havent been made in huge amount. I got one...and trying to locate another (been wathcing adds and asking on forums for 6 months now). Otherwise i will have to have them custom made = expensive (at least $1000 for a pair).

Here you`ll see a possible result of my build:

:D:D:D

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Your car reminds me of what hotrodding was all about. A big engine in a small package. Can't wait to see it progress!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have been working on the trans-mount adjustments for a couple of days now, and it is as close as i can get i think.
Next up is ladderbars and coilover-mounts. Soon a roller again :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Luckily i got it with the car - actually got two spares. But they are not easy to find around here. Most 600`s have been sent to car-heaven because of rust.

Btw; the text on the door says Carabinieri, and my car with the beercan on the roof...haha..

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Finally got myself a mediablaster... have wanted one for years, but it havent been the top priority. Now i dont understand why i wasnt fitted with one at birth :D

Did a first test on the batterybox cover for the Fiat using glass.

Before:

After:

From now on im gonna blast every part that fits in the cabinet ;)

And here some bits for the turboheader. A good friend of mine will help me out with a tight and good looking header.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I love your build thread, as I have a big soft spot for those little 600s.

My project got crushed by a tree last year, Fiat 600 body mounted on a shortened VW pan.

Great going, can't wait for more updates !

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Oh noooo!!!! Sorry that happened.

Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts