Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you know this owner Vall? I like the car just can't get past the rear tire selection.

·
Administrator
13,578 Posts
Do I know it? Heck, I helped him build it. But I didn't do the suspension, or drivetrain. I did the final electrical, plumbing, and got it running. And those sure aren't "little tires". I believe they're 295-50-15 on 10" slots.
I asked him when I first saw it why he didn't cut the rear wheelwells round, and set the car up lower. But he said he liked it sitting higher.
He lives 4 houses from me, and owns the '35 Plymouth fenderless coupe I built and posted here. I'd heard he had the Austin up for sale on Facebook earlier this year, but I couldn't find it listed. Guess he's finally done with it. He's still got the '68 Nova I built for him, and saw it yesterday at the Wed. night cruise. We don't talk anymore.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Do you know this owner Vall? I like the car just can't get past the rear tire selection.

Maybe didn't want to cut original fenders. Not knowing glass radiused fenders are avialble. Looks as tho the fenders weren't welded as there is welt strip between the body and fender.

·
Administrator
13,578 Posts
Maybe didn't want to cut original fenders. Not knowing glass radiused fenders are avialble. Looks as tho the fenders weren't welded as there is welt strip between the body and fender.
No, it wasn't that he didn't want to cut them. It was that he didn't want the car lower. He liked the tall stance. I tried to get him to let me lower the stance, and he just liked it up higher.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
There big tires but low profile 50 series...makes them look small...he needed a 70 series minium

·
Registered
671 Posts
No, it wasn't that he didn't want to cut them. It was that he didn't want the car lower. He liked the tall stance. I tried to get him to let me lower the stance, and he just liked it up higher.
To each his own. I would have lowered it.

·
Administrator
13,578 Posts
tires would be an easy fix but those phony stacks just kill it .
I don't mind the phony stacks through the hood. But I do dislike the crap bolted on the air cleaner sides in an attempt to try to make the stacks look real. Just accept that they're fake, and don't make it worse by adding stupid looking pieces on the engine too.

Looks like it's slowly creeping up. Still not sure it will reach the BIN though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Do I know it? Heck, I helped him build it. .....
He lives 4 houses from me, and owns the '35 Plymouth fenderless coupe I built and posted here. I'd heard he had the Austin up for sale on Facebook earlier this year, but I couldn't find it listed. Guess he's finally done with it. He's still got the '68 Nova I built for him, and saw it yesterday at the Wed. night cruise.
We don't talk anymore.

sad how many times that happens, yeah? I've done so much work
for "friends" (everything from bare block up engine builds to v8
swaps to tubbed rears, etc...) that never lifted a finger to help me,
didn't pay a dime for any work I did, and now no longer talk to me.

wife says if that's what it took to get rid of them poser wannabes
then it was worth it.

·
Administrator
13,578 Posts
Well it ended at $13,500 and that seems like a decent buy. Not sure I'd have gone any higher considering what I'd want too redo if I owned it. Mechanically is is in excellent condition, so it's really only going to be about stance, and sucking the front wheels in by narrowing the axle, and changing the rear tires, and radius if the new owner wants to sit it a bit lower.
With some changes I think the next owner could actually make money on it when he sells it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts