Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today a buddy went with me and we went to a side street that goes to a school that is of course closed for Christmas.

It launches pretty well considering the lack of traction still. Its way better now with the M/T's but I have yet to try lowering the tire pressure as you should, I have my tires at 35 pounds.

But it handles great, feels great, sounds great, and looks great! I'll take it.. I have one more major surgery to do on my nose, you can see I am still bandaged up from my last skin graft. Sure will be nice to not have half my vision blocked by a big white bandage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23c6KzZCfM

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Hang in there things will get better.........Merry Christmas to you and yours.. hope Santa brings you some ticket money.....lol

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Well today a buddy went with me and we went to a side street that goes to a school that is of course closed for Christmas.

It launches pretty well considering the lack of traction still. Its way better now with the M/T's but I have yet to try lowering the tire pressure as you should, I have my tires at 35 pounds.

But it handles great, feels great, sounds great, and looks great! I'll take it.. I have one more major surgery to do on my nose, you can see I am still bandaged up from my last skin graft. Sure will be nice to not have half my vision blocked by a big white bandage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23c6KzZCfM
Gary,
the car sounds great. Considering you have too much air in the tires, it still leaves really well on a street with no rubber laid down. Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Mario would 25 pounds of air be about right?
you should check with M/T tech but Ive gone down to 11 lbs with drag tires. Car will bite better at launch but will be more dangerous with sway on the top end. So go down gradually and test but be careful.
Maybe someone else may be able to donate some experience. The best thing is tech support with M/T. One thing to consider is the lower the pressure, the more the center contact patch will turn upward away front the ground and it all depends on the width of the rim as to how much it does move away from the ground. Hope this helped you.

11lbs may work at the strip but it would be too dangerous on the roads around town.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello you guys! I hope that 2016 is looking bright for us all. I had my last "hopefully" surgery last week on my nose for the skin cancer. I couldn't have timed this worse, just as I get my Nova about 90% together, I have not been physically able to enjoy it too much. I have put over 600 miles on the new engine and trans and its all great but for a leaking trans rear seal at the end of the tail shaft. It could have been the seal was nicked when they put in the new drive shaft, I don't know but after a 175 mile trip there was a 4 inch puddle under the trans and trans fluid had blown back enough to see small drips under the rear end.

Didn't loose enough fluid to cause any problems I called the transmission people that built it and they sent me a new seal. And now for some reason every word I type is underlined in red. Whem I right click on it it says "inspect element" Don't know what I did but its very distracting.

Any way, I have had huge bandages on my face for three months now and I'm sick of it all. I barely have nostrils left after all the carving on my nose. I just had another huge skin graft on the end of my nose done and I just hope this one takes, the other two didn't.

Looking forward to getting back into the swing of having fun again. You all take care, and I'll talk to ya later.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Hi Gary, sorry your going through all the medical stuff. Hang in there. Your health is important so hang in there. Im just curious about the trans problem. Do you have rubber or solid mount on the tail shaft of the trans?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Thanks for letting us know what is going on....you will get past this... and life will be good again ...if I didnt believe this I would have been dead already... so hang in there Gary...and more videos would be nice when your back on your feet

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks very much you guys for the kind words. I will get this mess behind me soon. As far as the transmission goes, the mount is rubber. I got a special made cross member to swap the turbo 350 for the 200r4. I wonder if the slight angle of the transmission has anything to do with it leaking? The rear ward angle is not hardly noticeable under the car, I thought maybe they nicked the seal during the swap.

Any way I have the new seal, and I will see for my self. The best part of the car is knowing that I can drive it any place as long as gas stations are along the way. My head feels like its about to explode at the moment so I got to go. The huge skin graft needed for the end of my nose needed lots of stitches to close up and he pulled it real tight. I have a few less wrinkles now! You all take care.. Gary

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Reason I mentioned the trans mount was because I used a solid mount and created a leak at the tail shaft with my turbo 400.
Solid is meant for track time only.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Take care of yourself, Gary. My wife's cousins husband is just healed up from skin cancer surgery that took his right eye, too. He still enjoys driving his '64 GTO, but is not sure if he'll be able to finish his '66 Goat himself.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Take care of yourself, Gary. My wife's cousins husband is just healed up from skin cancer surgery that took his right eye, too. He still enjoys driving his '64 GTO, but is not sure if he'll be able to finish his '66 Goat himself.
Oh wow that's just terrible! I shouldn't complain about just looking uglier when this is all done, I was no prize to begin with. But losing an eye must be a very hard thing to get over, so I think I will find a way to get over my self, and just be glad my wife had the money to get me fixed up. We have no insurance. If I had known what too much sun was doing to me beyond sunburns, I would have taken a lot better care of my self.

I know it was not intended, but thanks for putting things in perspective I needed that. I never had an surgery for anything in my 62 years but for my tonsils when I was a boy. I have always been scared of needles and it was made much worse when I was in the 4th grade I got bit by a rabid squirrel and had to take rabies shots with HUGE needles in my stomach every morning before school 14 times. Never forgot it, and so after 1000 needles in my face and nose I still hate every bit of it.
Time to man up a bit..

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
One issue with a new rear seal is often people put them in perfectly well, but then stuff the driveline in without greasing the seal surface. Dry seal, and dry yoke, equals damaged seal. Just a light smear of grease on the sealing surface can make the difference. And don't forget a smear of sealer on the outside of the seal when putting it in to avoid a leak there too.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help. I yanked out the old "new" seal and put in the new one with sealer. Made sure the yoke was clean and had no burrs or scratches and lightly greased the yoke before carefully sliding it in there. Been out a couple times and so far so good. Made a big hit tonight at this local hang out and for the first time young people were liking it. To my shame one of them asked me what "Gasser" meant and I could not remember!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts