Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to all of this so please bear with me. I was born and raised around hot rods and customs, always was intrigued by the gasser and street freaks when I was a kid. I’ve had several hot rods and mini trucks…don’t hate me for that 😂 I currently own a collision shop in central Ohio and have an amazing crew of people that work with me! Anyhow, I picked up a project car for one of our builds in between insurance work. It a ‘61 Falcon, mostly complete but already stripped and has a title 👍 not sure how I wanted to go with this one, but as soon as I saw it I thought “gasser” is the first thing I thought of and hasn’t left my head since. I have a 351C and C6 that came with the car, but condition of the block is unknown, also have access to a 390FE and C6 connected to it. Someone put in new floors in it, trunk floor is out of it. I am thinking we are going to build a frame table cut everything out and start fresh. ANY suggestions of where this build should go would be greatly appreciated! This is going to be a street driven occasion car show build and then back to the collection when parked. I have plenty of time to start collecting parts, as I have the S10
Shop truck to finish soon and then my wife’s 77 Benz 450sl project
Thanks everyone!
Jimmy
Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Hood Motor vehicle
Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Looks like the perfect start for a gasser project, and Falcons seem to be a popular choice to build a gasser. Either engine and trans will be a good choice, but the larger FE 390 will be more impressive to see in the Falcon. If it's a buildable block it will make a great choice. But will likely take more frame reinforcement if the 390 is well built than the 351 would take.
I built a '63 Falcon with a pretty stout BBC and Super T10 four speed as a gasser. Might check out my build thread here to see the mods I did to handle the torque and HP of a big block engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum!
Looks like the perfect start for a gasser project, and Falcons seem to be a popular choice to build a gasser. Either engine and trans will be a good choice, but the larger FE 390 will be more impressive to see in the Falcon. If it's a buildable block it will make a great choice. But will likely take more frame reinforcement if the 390 is well built than the 351 would take.
I built a '63 Falcon with a pretty stout BBC and Super T10 four speed as a gasser. Might check out my build thread here to see the mods I did to handle the torque and HP of a big block engine.

The 390 is out of a running and driving truck, so that’s a plus…I agree also, something about Big Block looks and sounds way more mean and impressive especially in a tiny car. the 351 is questionable as it came with the car. The car is going to get a complete tube frame built from scratch rather than trying to tie into 60 year old sheetmetal frame rails. I have a fabrication background, but my guys in the shop handle the sheetmetal and paint work.
Jimmy

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! Keep the photos and updates coming when you start your build thread.
I like the sound of a big block Ford also! I'd just put the BBC fenderwells I modified for the FE on my 53. Congrats on putting a Ford in a Ford; not to many of us around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have a good lead on a very low mileage 67 Buick 430 complete with trans for next to nothing. There are so many options when you have a blank canvas. Those old Buick motors were cool but they are a little more scarce on the parts, which makes it even cooler lol
Jimmy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are so many LS motors in everything now a days and the parts for them are endless, but who wants to do that?! Easy isn’t always fun lol
Jimmy

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
You got that right!!! My cousin has a blown 502 Cad motor in his 54 Buick gasser.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum!! Keep the photos and updates coming when you start your build thread.
I like the sound of a big block Ford also! I'd just put the BBC fenderwells I modified for the FE on my 53. Congrats on putting a Ford in a Ford; not to many of us around.
Love the sound of it! I bet the neighbors love it when you do a little test and tune in the driveway 😂 they are shaking in their Prius for sure! Are you running open headers only or do you have exhaust attached also? This build is going to be street driven on weekends and an occasional 20 minute trip to the shop but I live and work in small town Ohio so I shouldn’t have too many issues unless I pull a 6000 rpm burnie leaving the grocery store 🤪
Jimmy

·
Registered
661 Posts
Nothing like the sound of a BIG BLOCK anything:D! When it grabs RPM is MUSIC!! Look at my tag linr. Explains everything.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I also have a good lead on a very low mileage 67 Buick 430 complete with trans for next to nothing. There are so many options when you have a blank canvas. Those old Buick motors were cool but they are a little more scarce on the parts, which makes it even cooler lol
Jimmy
I would go for the Buick. Just because.

·
Registered
661 Posts
If you can remember way back in the old days. Guys would take out the sbc and put in Cads, Olds, Poncho and Buick into Chevies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A great example of an Olds in a Chevy is the Class Reunion car. An Orange 51 Chevy with an Injected Olds owned by Greg Gruble . A super nice guy that runs consistant at nostalgic drag events.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Ed Roth had book out in early '60's on customizing which had a chapter on putting an Old in a '55 Chevy. Popular Hot Rodding "I think", did an article on putting a Olds in a '59 Chevy. This is the book

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Used to be very popular across all areas of hotrodding, racing, or custom cars to put other makes of V8's into various cars. I once owned a '53 Chevy 2dr. hdtp. with custom dark green/white roll and pleat interior, and a 371 Olds and hydromatic trans. I also had a really neat '57 Chevy Suburban with a 389 Pontiac and TH400 swapped into it.
Never missed the '53 Chev when I sold it, as I find the '53-'54 Chevys not very appealing personally. But I still regret ever selling the '57 Suburban! That was a very nice truck, and a great power train!
Of course I like my SBC 355 in my Austin a little better than the 20 hp flathead 4 cyl. it came with too!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Used to be very popular across all areas of hotrodding, racing, or custom cars to put other makes of V8's into various cars. I once owned a '53 Chevy 2dr. hdtp. with custom dark green/white roll and pleat interior, and a 371 Olds and hydromatic trans. I also had a really neat '57 Chevy Suburban with a 389 Pontiac and TH400 swapped into it.
Never missed the '53 Chev when I sold it, as I find the '53-'54 Chevys not very appealing personally. But I still regret ever selling the '57 Suburban! That was a very nice truck, and a great power train!
Of course I like my SBC 355 in my Austin a little better than the 20 hp flathead 4 cyl. it came with too!
I would too.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
My old '40 Chev coupe also had a mismatched brand engine. My buddy and I put his dad's 413 Chrysler and Torqflite into it when the old 216 cracked while I was at basic training and tech school.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts