Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to run my dads 65 mustang in some nostalgia races. Trying to figure out if it even fits in a class. Here is a picture of the car as it sits today. I have a lot of the old engine parts from when my dad ran in the 70s. Car will be a 4 speed.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hi Warhorse, what a great car and history for you. Get it to the track on a test and tune night (usually Friday nights). Once you know what you run and make it thru tech, I am guessing you have a couple of options. You can bracket race it at most tracks. Or you could race at Nostalgia events (usually 1970 and older). Or you could do races thru the billetproof group or similar. They run for fun. I don't think you will have a problem getting into a class if you want though. Good luck, let us know how you do.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
The biggest issue you'll have to confront when racing today will be if the car's safety features meet today's tech inspection. If the car has not seen the track in many years, then depending on how fast it runs, or what safety features it has, it may require upgrades to meet today's tech rules.
Classes have changed drastically since the 70's, and many of the classes your car would have fit into no longer exist. As Mike mentioned, the nostalgia events, or Billetproof events are one of the best venues for a car like yours, and will most likely require the fewest changes to run. ET Bracket events are another venue, but will also require meeting modern tech inspections.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If the car is updated with the right safety stuff, such as roll cage and belts you could run the car for sure. Anything from a dial in class to the NHRA's super street. Or super gas class. Most tracks have a no box or no electronic classes to run. Most nostalgia racing organizations has A-D or E gas with set indexes to run. In short yes you can race your car. Start checking with your local tracks and see what's going on in your area. My car was a 40 year old race car, just needed an updated roll cage and new belts.

That Mustang is a great looking car.

Vince

1 - 5 of 5 Posts