Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you guys. I just bought my first Gasser that is licensed in Texas where I live and the man who built it all new, wants his personalized plates back.

They go with the name of his ranch. He tells me I can run antique license plates and not be required to pass an inspection. However, the license is only supposed to be good for driving to a show, or testing etc...

And I think there is a maximum number of miles you can drive it a year in t he range of 2 to 3.000. No idea yet about this, and naturally I will run it all down. I just wondered if any of you have done thins sort of thing.

I only have driven my car 10 feet or so! I have not had it delivered yet I need to find a place of my Mustang and Kawasaki motorcycle. All I have at present is a carport.

Here is a video I posted else ware on the site, but for convenience here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwJuYXczYQk

It actually has glass packs built into the exhaust but its fairly loud. I was wondering if it would pass inspection. Texas is pretty loose on some things and not on others. Everything works on the car, has 4 wheel disc brakes and every thing on it almost is brand new.

And it was registered in Texas already. What do you all think?

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I live in Oregon, and we have two types of plates for specialty cars. Here an "antique" plate means your car must be older than halfway between 1900 and today's date. So presently, only 1957 and older can be registered as antique vehicle plates. But we also have "special use" plates, which are good for any year, but if your car is newer than 1974, it needs to be looked at by someone who can declare it is a special use vehicle, and not just any old car.
I have all of mine registered as "special use", as any car using a year correct plate has to be registered special use, just to use an original plate. So all three of mine are licensed with year correct plates. Our rules say you must be going to a car show, parade, car event, club meeting, etc., or some car function. You can also drive them to the garages for repairs, or to a parts store, if you need it there to compare parts. Stops along the way for say snacks, or drinks are approved. Oregon has no mileage limit, and anytime I'm behind the wheel, I'm either "testing" recent repairs, headed to a club meeting, or going to a car show, or race. I'm retired, so I'm never driving to work, as that's illegal. I never run errands, as that's illegal.
I've had police stop to talk to me, follow me into the gas station, or just want to look the cars over. I've never had any issues with them asking me where I'm going, but I'm always prepared with the right answer!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in Oregon, and we have two types of plates for specialty cars. Here an "antique" plate means your car must be older than halfway between 1900 and today's date. So presently, only 1957 and older can be registered as antique vehicle plates. But we also have "special use" plates, which are good for any year, but if your car is newer than 1974, it needs to be looked at by someone who can declare it is a special use vehicle, and not just any old car.
I have all of mine registered as "special use", as any car using a year correct plate has to be registered special use, just to use an original plate. So all three of mine are licensed with year correct plates. Our rules say you must be going to a car show, parade, car event, club meeting, etc., or some car function. You can also drive them to the garages for repairs, or to a parts store, if you need it there to compare parts. Stops along the way for say snacks, or drinks are approved. Oregon has no mileage limit, and anytime I'm behind the wheel, I'm either "testing" recent repairs, headed to a club meeting, or going to a car show, or race. I'm retired, so I'm never driving to work, as that's illegal. I never run errands, as that's illegal.
I've had police stop to talk to me, follow me into the gas station, or just want to look the cars over. I've never had any issues with them asking me where I'm going, but I'm always prepared with the right answer!
Thanks Val. Texas laws are about the same I think. It sounds good to me, what about vehicle inspections? Are special use vehicles exempt? I was concerned about my car being too loud but then every day you see and hear loud cars and motorcycles, and mine is not terrible in comparison.

I used to live in Rouge River and Medford too back in 1990.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
That is one sweet ride. Looks and sounds amazing. I can tell your overjoyed with it like you're 18 with your first car.
As for street legal here in New York we have collectors plates but only given if you have collectors insurance. My 84 dually was denied collectors ins because it wasn't pretty enough and work in progress is not allowed. So I got regular ins and reg use plates. My Chevy coupe has reg plates and Grundy's collectible ins. No real difference. Anything 20 yrs and older gets safety inspection only and I laugh when the young guys look my car over and scratch their head cause of the wheelie bars lol
I imagine if I went antique it might save me a couple of dollars for plates but the state dmv does not have the restrictions and the insurance does. It may be dictated by state law and the ins uphold it. Enjoy your beautiful nova

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Oregon doesn't have safety, or vehicle inspections. We only have DEQ inspections, and those are only done for cars 1975 or newer.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oregon doesn't have safety, or vehicle inspections. We only have DEQ inspections, and those are only done for cars 1975 or newer.
I'll never forget the first time I got gas in Oregon. We had moved there from here in San Antonio, I was driving a U Haul truck pulling a Mustang, and wheeled into the station and started pumping gas. Next second, a guy is running out yelling for me to stop! Scared me, because I thought there was a fire the way he was going on. Turns out, at least back in 1990 nobody pumps there own gas. Its not legal to do so.

Here in Texas, and in every state I have been other than Oregon, if you don't pump the gas your self, you get no gas!

·
Registered
922 Posts
No annual inspections in Iowa. The only glaring violations my car will have will be no front bumper and rear tires sticking out a bit. I don't think it will be an issue with the law unless I do stupid stuff with it.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Ny has annual 39 dollar inspections which are emissions based unless your vehicle is a classic then it just cost $10 for the safety blessing. It's all a scam for dollars. Extra plate fees on already ridiculously priced registrations. And as far as me doing anything stupid, there is no chance. Cameras at most intersections nowadays. No drag strip on the island so what's a hotrodder to do nowadays. Well move out of NY that's what. Did I rant enough...... Lol

:mad::mad:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No annual inspections in Iowa. The only glaring violations my car will have will be no front bumper and rear tires sticking out a bit. I don't think it will be an issue with the law unless I do stupid stuff with it.
Well thanks. That's pretty much what I was hoping for. I intend to try to just license it like any other car and for now get liability insurance. My car has been and is registered in Texas, its been on the street, but in a little Texas country town. San Antonio is far from that. But I do know I have heard lots of cars as loud as mine or more and there on the street.

Gary "too"

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ny has annual 39 dollar inspections which are emissions based unless your vehicle is a classic then it just cost $10 for the safety blessing. It's all a scam for dollars. Extra plate fees on already ridiculously priced registrations. And as far as me doing anything stupid, there is no chance. Cameras at most intersections nowadays. No drag strip on the island so what's a hotrodder to do nowadays. Well move out of NY that's what. Did I rant enough...... Lol

:mad::mad:

Well I promise you that you and your bad ass gasser would both be very welcome here in Texas. San Antonio has the lowest living expenses of any large city in Texas. You can have a monster of a house here for what an apartment cost's in NYC. Of course, we talk funny. But being a New Yorker you know about that too. LOL!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, the advantages of living out on the prairie. I'm in Iowa also, not far from South Dakota and have drivin around with open headers a few times with no issues. Not saying they allow that all the time but as ol blue said, as long as your not doing stupid stuff your good.

Most cops know that methheads don't drive cool old cars.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, the advantages of living out on the prairie. I'm in Iowa also, not far from South Dakota and have drivin around with open headers a few times with no issues. Not saying they allow that all the time but as ol blue said, as long as your not doing stupid stuff your good.

Most cops know that methheads don't drive cool old cars.

Agreed. In my case, I look like an old fart in an old hot rod to most cops, and every one else too! I was sort of hoping just by the cars nature people would expect it to be loud. My neighbors are not going to be happy when I'm tuning.

Oh ya, I mentioned this some where else on the site, as you might imagine, there is a Mexican Bob down here in Texas. I've been told........"he aint a patch to you". :)

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I'll never forget the first time I got gas in Oregon. We had moved there from here in San Antonio, I was driving a U Haul truck pulling a Mustang, and wheeled into the station and started pumping gas. Next second, a guy is running out yelling for me to stop! Scared me, because I thought there was a fire the way he was going on. Turns out, at least back in 1990 nobody pumps there own gas. Its not legal to do so.

Here in Texas, and in every state I have been other than Oregon, if you don't pump the gas your self, you get no gas!
That's funny, as when my brother and his family came to visit from Oklahoma, we stopped for gas, and my son-in-law got out and started pumping his own. We were visiting when I heard the ruckus, and looked out to see the attendant and my nephew discussing the merits of pumping your own gas. I had to step out and explain to the attendant that he was not from Oregon, and didn't know the law.
But Oregon has exceptions to the gas pumping aw for motorcycles, and hotrods. I never let them pump my gas, as both of my gassers have tanks in the trunk, and I want to ensure there's no gas spilling. Never had an attendant argue, but have had a couple young fellas sort of hesitate when I reached out to take the nozzle from them. But they figure it out, and don't debate it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts