Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here so maybe I should tread lightly but this has bothered me for along time.

Of course there are the obnoxious, 20 something inch wheels, but what about the "Dog Dick" hood scoops that wrongly appear on so many updated so-called "Nostalgia" cars.

I'm not picking on ANYBODY on this sight. Its something that's been on my mind for a few years. Repo Scoops, as well as wheels (or sometimes even originals), are no more money than modern parts. I understand modern safety equipment but lets keep the look right. JMHO!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Bob I think that there is a gasser nostalgia look that is historically correct. I love the nostalgia myself. On this site it's not just about gasser nostalgia. It's about hotrodders coming together and sharing their dreams and projects of which many are period correct builds. We welcome all Hotrod builds here. Gasser or not.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mario, I appreciate what your saying. Everyone has different tastes and thats what makes the world go-round.

I love Nostalgia cars and for me the more period correct the better. I like what i've seen on this sight and I hope I haven't spoken out of turn.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I agree with what you're saying, but also feel there's room for a little leeway and variety. I think most of us here follow the love of traditional gassers, and those who build new ones to that look. But we enjoy seeing some variety also, and tend to just not comment on those cars that get too far off track, rather than offend somebody here.
I know there are sites where tradition is so important that people aren't concerned about offending others. We're just a bit more interested in seeing what people build, than correcting their style.
But we appreciate your comment also, and thank you for posting your view.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The beauty of hot rodding (to me at least), is that anyone can build their car how they want it. There are many things that I do not like on cars, and think it might look "stupid". But someone else may love it. Your car is a testament to your style, vision, and to a lesser degree, your ability. Have fun, enjoy cars for what they are, and try and look at cars through the owners eyes. That is what I try and do when I see cars that may not be my style.

Obnoxious hood sccops and mis-proportioned wheels are some of my biggest pet peeves, but if it were up to me, all car wheels would be 15". How boring would that be? Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't mean to defend the "other" side, I just try to keep an open mind.

My car isn't period correct, but I'm trying to mix in some of my style with my Grandpa's from the early '70's. It was his car in the '60's and '70's so I'm trying to mix a little bit of old and new. To many, it may look slightly off, but that's okay with me. After all, it's my car, not theirs.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
+1. Very well said.

·
Registered
108 Posts
And keep in mind that modern parts might cost about the same as originals, BUT may be easier to get! Id rather put on the modern part and go driving than have a proyect just sitting in the garage "waiting". My 2 centavos!

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Guys, y'all have great points here.... I see as much of it at the shows and on the web and shake my head on wheel choice and or scoops as well as paint. Now I'm not talking about the guy in his garage that is doing his first paint and well acknowledges his short level of experience. But the guy that brings it to a shop and has a pile of mismatch bling just to say he has it all. Ok far be it from me to even make fun of him ( or her ) but the New Gasser style hot rod is such a great compliment to its heritage that most of us can appreciate when someone builds a not so period correct car as a gasser. One case in point which I so humbly mention, is our very own Mark's Pontiac ! ! Now really, would we have ever seen one till Mark stepped up to the plate ? And I can say 99 and 9/10 of us will agree, that is one build we are glad to see. But a new Lexus, maybe not. :D I guess my point is we have to appreciate what the owner builder visioned, and if he is excited about it, let's be excited along with him. Hey we even May just learn something along the way ....... Those are my Peso's :D

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
A+1. Very well written

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gassers, Street Machines, Old Hot Rods, 60s drag racing. They have stood the test of time. They are so popular now because of the way they looked and performed back in the day. Fads come and go but these cars will always be the Hot Rod Standard.

Take the 55 that always appears in the upper left corner of this Forum. As far as I know I have never seen another shot of this car but it has a straight axle, Moon style tank, no front bumper and what looks to be Magnesium wheels. Somebody built this car and took the time to make it right. It has a Hilborn scoop which could be covering up carbs instead of a 2 or 4 port Hilborn. But thats OK. Maybe thats all he/she could afford but imagine if it was topped with a mid 80s Mr. Gasket, so called Enderle style bug catcher? That would be the deal breaker.

And what about Marios Car. Looks to be a 33/34 Chevy (sorry if I'm wrong), straight axle, Moon tank, nose up.................You could photoshop that car with the starting line from Lions as the back drop and nobody would no the difference if its from 1966 or 2014. Imagine putting a Mustang II front suspension and/or the cowl scoop off the 69 Camaro behind it in the burnout box on it. YIKES!

And then there's Timberline65. Anywhere Boulavard, 1972.............nothing more needs to be said. Its got the look! It looks to have Aluminum Slots but just think if it had Centerline Convo Pros? A good looking wheel on that car if it was a stock eliminator car but not for a 70s street racer. The hood looks flat and that OK. The last thing it needs is a Modern Pro Stock scoop that looks like the underside of a male dog lying on his back.

I understand the reliability of using electronic ignition instead of points. Running radials instead of Bias plys for better handling and safety. Or, using a $100 Speedway aluminum tank instead of a $500 Moon because its more practical at the time. Period parts are readily available, repro or original, and aside from Hilborns and some other high end items they are just as cheap. Thats why the aftermarket has responded to these COOL old cars.

I've seen people spend the time and money to build an Altered wheelbase car only to top it off with a Pro Stock scoop. A 95 yard car. A 100 yard touchdown return fumbled at the 5 yard line.

Aside from all the above, I agree. Its there Car, There Money and They can build it the way They want it. Hopefully we never loose that freedom.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Thanks for the compliment Bob. My car is close but no cigar. I did not have the experience about gassers when I built that car and my theme was based on movies and old pics and 8mm films. Could have been even closer than it looks. Limited Money was a big factor and the least resistance on how to get my car back from the grave was a great influence. Plus this was a first timer for me. There are things I would definitely do differently now that I have been schooled by the great hotrodders on this forum. And that's my buck twentyfive. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your Welcome Mario! Few cars are %100 spot on, period correct and I understand that. Despite the experience you didn't have or lack of cash, you did some research and built a COOL old Gasser. But you did have enough experience to know what NOT to do...and money has nothing to do with that. Your car has no flashing beacon when you cruise by, but it does say "Damn thats Cool"

And thats my whole point.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I can only hope my next at bat will capture that very same visual. I build with a vision in mind and a dollar in my pocket.
:).
Thankyou you are too kind. :)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
It wasn't like original gasser cars did not receive "updates/upgrades as time went on. But has been so correctly said there is a certain amount of "limit" when it comes to keeping "period correct". Depends where that line is drawn.... WHERE should that line be drawn????? I have always believed it is up to the owner/builder. Havin' fun with hot rods is what is all about for me & everyone here on the GHR forum

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I usually can't afford vintage real parts for my builds. Sometimes I get lucky and find an old part, and I'm really happy when it happens! Both of my cars have modern scoops, and I gutted the grille on the inlet to my Hilborn style scoop for the Austin. I felt it was a dead giveaway to it being modern, so removing it, and the tabs helped make it look better. On my Falcon I put a 3 hole bug catcher, which didn't arrive on drag cars until the end of the gasser cars. But I didn't want the same Hilborn scoop on both cars, as I like variety. Yes, it's new, and not really a gasser scoop, but I felt it fit the look of the car, so it's there. And of course both cars have tunnel ram intakes, which we know weren't around until the end of the gasser era, but I love the look and they get the scoop up where it pokes through the hood!
I also put modern electronics on both cars. The Austin got new wiring, which included eliminating the troublesome old Lucas lights, and refitting them with modern LED taillights and turn signals. Same with the instruments and ignition on both cars. I wanted reliability, and a good running engine, so the MSD was a must for me.
I was able to find old slots for the Austin, and spokes for the Falcon, but couldn't find any skinny Torq Thrust style 15" wheels for the front of the Falcon, so it's stuck with modern Torq Thrusts for the front. And of course both cars have radials all around; even the Hurst Pie Crust are capped on radial casings.
I'd love to have the funds to have everything on my cars be original old parts. I'd love it even more if I could actually find an original old gasser, and own that! But I feel blessed to be able to build and own a couple fake gassers, so I sure wont complain!

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Well lets look at this a bit different...... We look at and some find old gassers to restore to the period. However lets fast forward 20- 30 or even 40 years. Someone finds one of our builds and looks back and says, " this is how they built them back in the days 2005 to 20xx " they may try to restore it to they way you originally built it or use whats parts at hand. Either way it lives on one more time ! ! ! Build it how ya see it :D

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
And that's the name of that tune. :)

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have always been a build what you want kind of guy. If you look at the choppers I have built, there are absolutely no throwbacks to any era at all. It is what I wanted to build and I received many why did you do that comments. My car will be just exactly what I have built in my mind. It will sit a little too high, have a major stereo system in it and that is fine for me. I am sure a lot of folks will be turned off, but hey, I have learned from my bikes and driving a Nissan Cube that i can take most comments in stride. I do not have the money, nor inclination to wait for period correct parts but I will not be doing anything as silly as putting a pro stock scoop on the car. and for these reasons alone, I love this forum. No judgement, we all support each other and there are some really talented folks on here who seem to have all the answers... (Vall) He has helped me out numerous times and even took a phone call from me panicking while I was assembling my straight axle.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I just want to thank Bob for starting this thread! This is a really good discussion topic, and I've enjoyed seeing everyone's view on what they like or don't like! Thanks Bob!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts