Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on Amazon the other day, and did some checking around to see what the reviews were. It's an Emerson HD Action Cam that sells at Amazon for around $30! SD card is separate at $12, and I opted to purchase a $6 suction mount for glass. It comes with a helmet mount, and a handlebar mount, plus a watertight case for submerged video. Grand total for everything was still less than $50, and I figured I'd give it a try to see what 25% of a GoPro would do.
This is the camera, in it's waterproof case. It's very compact, even in the case, and very easy to start/stop. It also has the extra feature of a screen in back to see what you're filming!
http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Tele...1385764408&sr=8-1&keywords=action+cam+emerson
I was surprised it takes very good video! It also takes stills, but at 5 MP it wont get what a phone camera gets for quality. I still need to learn how to do all the features, and how to do video of any kind, as I'm technology challenged. I mounted it to the side glass of the Austin and took a round around the neighborhood. First thing I forgot to do was turn off the radio! Then I realized the speaker picks up sound from the front, so putting it close to the windshield muffled down all the sound. But once I get things sorted, I think it will do all I want, and more, plus save a lot of money for car parts vs. a GoPro!
Here's my first video attempt! Got a little squirrelly for about a block. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZJpryA7xUc&feature=youtu.be

Not trying to plug a product, as I have no dog in this race. Just wanted to pass it along!

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How cool is that Vall ! ! Not bad for cruising, I wonder how it would be for making shop videos. Wish I could have heard the motor while you were cruising. :)
It's got a standard 1/4-20 hole in the bottom as used with most cameras, so it would be perfect to put on a camera tripod and film anything. I like the simple controls with start-stop, and on-off on top, then still-video-replay slide switch on the side. The screen on back allows you to not only watch what you are recording, but also play back and screen what you recorded when done.
The camera measures 2.6"x1.8"x.8" so it's very small and light.

·
Registered
750 Posts
It's got a standard 1/4-20 hole in the bottom as used with most cameras, so it would be perfect to put on a camera tripod and film anything. I like the simple controls with start-stop, and on-off on top, then still-video-replay slide switch on the side. The screen on back allows you to not only watch what you are recording, but also play back and screen what you recorded when done.
The camera measures 2.6"x1.8"x.8" so it's very small and light.
Hey, I am going to keep you in mind for a project I am working on at my new job. Let's just say that it is a mount for action cameras. I cannot say anymore until we get the patent started. I may want you to test it!

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, I am going to keep you in mind for a project I am working on at my new job. Let's just say that it is a mount for action cameras. I cannot say anymore until we get the patent started. I may want you to test it!
Cool! I wanted to play with some various mounting locations to see how the front/rear suspensions work during driving.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Vall, the video was cool, might have to get one. Oh by the way was watching some YouTube videos the other day and saw the mouse trap on the track.
Andy

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looks like a good score Vall. I have no knowledge on that camera but I can testify to the GoPro. I've strapped the GoPro on a couple of my RC helis and taken them for some pretty intense rides. Good luck with your find.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I was looking at the Go pro, as it seems to be the cam that everyone else is compared to. But at $200 I could get 5 of these and have change leftover, so decided to give this a try.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vall, the video was cool, might have to get one. Oh by the way was watching some YouTube videos the other day and saw the mouse trap on the track.
Andy
Must have been from the Billetproof drags in 2012 I'd guess. That's the last time I ran it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Vall, I think so, man I love that car and the paint with the cartoon style graphics, it looks like a time capsule, Awesome!
Andy

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vall, I think so, man I love that car and the paint with the cartoon style graphics, it looks like a time capsule, Awesome!
Andy
Thanks Andy! I've got a few winter plans for the Austin too, once I finish the list for the Falcon. I want to drop the rear height an inch or two, so getting some shorter springs for the coilover shocks.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Great Video Vall, I have kodak camera that fits in your shirt pocket and I stuck velcro on it and stuck it on my windsheild. LOL I take all the MG pics with it too. USB plugs right in to my computer to download the pics or videos.
You got a great deal. I payed just under 30 for mine. a few years ago.
Mario

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not supposed to know but I am getting one for Christmas... she got it at Bed Bath and Beyond for the same price - $50 for all. Can't wait to try it out.

Mike
We do the same thing anymore Mike. After 35 years of marriage, we just buy ourselves something and thank the other person with a card! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts