Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello every one, I hope Thanksgiving was great for all and every one is fine. I have been in face surgery hell for over a month and the worst is yet to come. I have had skin cancers on my face from time to time for years now. Not the kind that spread cancer thru your body at least.

Mine are all so far basil cell cancers, so they don't spread cancer but they don't go away either. And they just get worse in time. I am having MOHS surgery where they cut off a piece of your face and check it to see if its cancerous, if it is they cut off some more etc till its gone, then they sew you up with more stitches than I could count.

My nose has been cut on so many times it looks like I have a crater on the end of my nose. And I now have three more surgeries to do on it. The Dr. thinks I will need plastic surgery to fix me right. Each time I go in for the torture they have to constantly cauterize the wound with this electric needle that sends smoke in the air of your skin burning, now I know what human skin smells like when cooked.

Any way all this has pretty much left my Nova parked and under cover. I haven't even seen it in over a week. I am constantly trying to heal up from each surgery and I am not supposed to be doing much, but I still do. The weather has been rainy and cold here for some time, so taking the car out was out pretty much any way.

I have never driven it in the rain because my wipers are not hooked up and it would be pretty scary in the traction dept. But I have driven it almost 300 miles with no issues .

The electric fan and all never ever let the engine get over 180, regardless of the temperature, I know because I was stuck in stop and go traffic for 30 minutes with the temperature at 90 plus and it stayed constant. But you need a good battery. I have two of those high dollar high output gel cell batteries. The fan is thermostatically controlled and it will run after you shut the engine off till it cools it down a lot. Sometimes it runs for 15 minutes or longer if I was working it some.

And I have not yet run it thru the quarter from a standing stop. But I have jumped on it from about 5 miles an hour and hit second at red line and wound out second gear. But I had covered so much ground so fast I had to let off to get stopped ahead. The cars in my rear view mirror turned into mosquitos in like three seconds!

And the car stayed perfectly straight and the M/T drag radials work perfectly. A real confidence booster from the instant blow off of the tires I had on it.

Any way I still have not been to a car show yet, so I look forward to that, and much more look forward to being done with all this surgery.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Been where your at but not as bad I dont go out in the sun with out skin protection. zinc oxide all over my face I look like a ghost but people in town are use to it.. so I dont get to many weird looks......its time for your to move to the great North West....love to have you up here................as Vall says hang in there

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Hey Gary,
get well soon. hope it all works out for you real soon. Hang in there. Nova is great therapy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow thanks to one and all for the kind words. I took a break for a week and don't go back till the 10th for more surgeries, I have supposedly three more to go. Not including plastic surgery which I don't want to think about. Just this stuff I'm doing costs over $2.800 a pop. And I have done three of them. But I guess I'm lucky to not have had any surgeries in my life except for my tonsils out when I was a little boy.

I could be al lot worse off, and I know it. I just have to get this done and move on, but I had no idea it would kick my butt so badly, I guess I'm weak. Like Mario said, the "Nova is great therapy". It is.

I never owned anything people want to take pictures of every where I go, and I don't mind saying it feels good! If things work out later today I hope to go to my first car show tonight. And get this, there is a hamburger joint called "In and Out" here now in San Antonio. Two of them in fact, the only one I ever saw before was out in Tucson Arizona, and man are they a great place to eat. 50's style every where inside and as clean as an operation room along with everybody who works there.

Not just clean, perfect! Nobody had even a hair out of place as weird as that sounds, and all inside was either red, white or chromed. I parked my car in the lot and people were eyeballing me big time from inside. And the second I go in,here come the questions and all. This stuff is new to me very new to me! And again I cant help but be humbled and swollen with pride in that somebody thinks I have a real nice car. But the Nova looked like it should have been born there, the colors of my car match the colors of In and Out like it was made for them.

The manager took pictures, lots of them. And he said he was going to run this by the big shots and see if in the spring we could do some car shots in different places on site of both In and Outs in San Antonio. If successful "what ever that means" the possibility of them sponsoring me to appear at all of the In and outs in the country, as well as local drag race events with there name on my car.

While this is all just fine, I never planned on racing my car much any where, but if I had a contract that said any and all damage what so ever to my car will be covered 100%, I might. I know that I have yet to see another gasser in town, and nobody I talked to so far has said they have seen any either. Weather anything comes of the In and Out thing is no big deal, and I don't see how the manager on one place could have so much in put on corporate decisions. Still it was real nice to know they liked the car. I got a free hamburger with fries and a chocolate malt! Plenty good enough for me.

Last I got paid a whopping $50.00 for parking my car in front of the Advanced Auto Parts for three hours where I get most my parts. But it didn't produce much revenue for the store, they thought that the car would draw people in and then they would buy something, they did that but just enough to pay me the $50.00. At least 100 people took pictures of the car, I stayed out of all pictures what with giant blue stitches over my forehead.

Boy from the reception this car has received al ready, I feel sure it will do ok in a car show. Come on Summer!!!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Hi Gary,
In N Out started in SoCal in 1949. For almost 50 years they were strictly a SoCal business but as their reputation grew they decided to expand. Back in the 60's they ran the burger stand at Irwindale Raceway. Their menu has never changed; burgers, fries, shakes and soda. If you're not aware of it the company is currently owned and run by the young daughter, 30's, of the original owners who were killed in an accident. Anyway, some of the things not on the menu are "animal style" fries, 3X3 and 4X4 burgers. I eat at In N Out once a week.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Love in and out, had one in the bay area 15 years ago love there fresh cut fries...maybe to much......Gary go for what they have to offer, sounds like a wonderful opportunity....maybe make some money...you never know what can happen

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much, I was more than happy with a free meal there. Still cant believe what a stir the little car has caused already. I just this second got inside from the final polishing on it for tonight. Don't know what to expect, or how many people will be there, I was there only once a few years ago, and it was packed back then. Its just at a big ass gas station/convenience store with a giant parking lot all around it. I wish it was in the day time, it will be dark here by 6:00 pm and its starts about then.

I'll bring my camera..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts