Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got a pic of my Catalina in a magazine finally. It's in the may issue of High Performance Pontiac issue page 36. It's in an article about the Pontiac Heaven event/show. Mark L

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Post a pic, or do we have to try to find the issue? :D Was it the one you trailered the car to?

Oh, you are famous. You're here. People from all over the world read this. Take a bow.

Mike

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My scanner does not send back to my computer??? so I can't scan it. I tried their websight but could not come up with the article. It's just a side shot of it sitting in the show with the front end tilted up. Nothing special. But it is in a magazine. I didn't know if I would ever get one in a mag.
Me famous, aw shucks. My most famous time is the pic of me hanging in the Post Office. I get lots of calls from Sheriff Arpiao from that pic?? HA! Mark L

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Judd, I couldn't help but think about you Saturday. I went to see my buddy at the salvage yard. He showed me five Comets (65-67 I think) he just bought from a retired Marine. Three are four speed cars, all V-8's and one is a big block (390 maybe?). It was raining so I pretty much just glanced at them. Maybe this week the weather will be better and I'll go back and check them out good. Robert

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Judd, I couldn't help but think about you Saturday. I went to see my buddy at the salvage yard. He showed me five Comets ...... Maybe this week the weather will be better and I'll go back and check them out good. Robert
Even as "Chevy guy" I have always LOVED the early Mercury Comet Cyclones/Caliente. When I was stationed at Fort Gordon, GA I lived with my wife "off base". Had NO car & had to "hitch hike" to work/school every morning. Very often would be picked up by a 2nd lieutenant who owned a new '65 BRIGHT RED Cyclone. Needless to say it was a fun ride.

Hey Robert...... As you probably know..... those memories that can be dangerous. Be careful you don't come home with one of those Comets.

Now that I am officially a senior citizen (on SS & medicare...ha) I have made a NEW rule I plan to keep. ONE PROJECT at a time.....

In fact, unless I hit the lottery the Opel could very well be my "last one"..... a keeper!!!! Not only is it a "unique" car, it has a lot of the "hard work" already done. But the biggest factor is being on a fixed income which "limits" what I can afford to do. Just like "back in the day"

Like Vall pointed out "there is money to be saved" by getting parts at junk yards and also swap meets, Craigs list, etc ..... which is also part of the "fun" of building a hot rod.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
My scanner does not send back to my computer??? so I can't scan it ....... Mark L
Mark..... Get your cell phone or camera & take a close up picture of the article. I do it all the time.

In fact, the pics of the 4-door Poncho I posted for this thread were taken using my cell phone.

Best to take the pictures outside in all of that AZ sunshine as the flash will sometimes glare on the photo.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK tried the phone thing. Lets see how his turns out.

This is the award from the show.

This is an artical about my good friends '61 Tempest down here in Phoenix. Keith Collier has driven this thing daily since 1997 when he bought at an auction. It had 172,000 miles when he got it. This has been his work and travel car since. Rebuilt the motor twice. Replaced several items through the years but always kept basically stock. This article was and pic was from the Norwalk Ohio Pontiac meeting last year. He and another Pontiac guy you probably heard of, Steve Barcak from the Pontiac Heaven event that he produces every year down here, drove it 4,460 miles round trip to the show. Only replacing a bad electric fuel pump and one rear swing axle shaft bearing along the way. Now get this. He has over 527,000 on that thing. I've ridden in it several times and the little slant four Pontiac goes right along. No race car but it will get 26 mpg on the open road. Just had to show you guys this car. It is amazing. Mark L

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
OK tried the phone thing. Lets see how this turns out.

Mark L
Looks good..... don't under estimate what can be done with a cell phone camera. I have been doing this for quite some time. Also use the cell phone camera to take pictures of what's on TV.

Mark..... Thanks for the pictures!!!!

You can probably get close enough to read the print under your car..... just watch out for "glare" from the flash.... I just move the camera at an angle to the picture I am trying to take.... or take it outside or in a bright room where NO flash is needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts