Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like to introduce my self, My name is Ted McClure. I grew up on Central Coast of Calif. Arroyo Grande, Ca. My Dad was the Vice President of the Dune Riders Organization back in the late 50's and early 60's. So i grew up helping my Dad build Dune Buggies. Some fun memories out in the Sand Dunes for sure.
I loved racing and was lucky enough to have some very good friends that tough me how to build engines and make them go fast.
I did a few engine swaps before i even started high school. In my second year of high school i built a 46 Willys Panel, put a 301 SBC engine in it out of Collyer and Knotts dual engine dragster. Muncie four speed with 10 bolt posi. Was one of the fasted in town. Blew the engine and sold it, bought my first new car, a 65 El Camino, 300Hp, 4sp. 4:10 Posi. Took it home and put a 30/30 Duntov cam in it, Hurst shifter, Hooker Headers, high rise with a big Holley and Casler Racing Slicks and headed for Pismo Beach to go race the Valley guys...My friend bought a new 66 El Camino and i helped him with it and we towed his behind mine to Lyon's, Erwindale and Orange Co. And raced them both....One week end, we parked next to Jr. Thompson when he had the 41 Willys Coupe. I was hooked on Gasser's at that point....what fun times....
In the early 70's a was an Apprentice Electrician and my Journeyman was Bill Miller that was racing Supermodifieds at Atascadero and Santa Maria, i went with him the next week end in the pit's, my first time at roundy round and i was Hooked, again, just loved racing. I bought a Super Modified from Dale Minderup, #5, as he just built a new #4 car. And was racing along side of of them and Herman Hutton, Roy Guy Jr. Carson Porter, Miller Bros. Al Pombo Jr. to name a few. Two weeks later,... What a great time for the next four years...
Now that im retired. I have gotten back into the Gasser World, as it's still it in my blood i guess....I have had several drag cars, and was in the middle of building a
Willys when i found an original 41 Studebaker "SUPER STUDE" that ran out of So. Calif. in the mid sixies when i was racing down there. At the time, it was owned and driven by Ernie Nicholson, he and Tony Nancy built the car with a Late Model Blown Chrysler Hemi. Later they put that engine in a new glass Cuda Funnycar, called "FLOWER POWER" and ran it thru the mid 70's.. I bought the car from a great guy in Oregon who builds race chassis, and it has a very nice chrome moly chassis. Took me a year to find most of the engine parts, and is at my friends Engine shop, Insane Power here in Vegas almost ready for assembly. Glad to be on board, as im always learning, and can't get enough of it.....have a Blessed day....

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ted! Sounds like you've had a lot of fun in all parts of automotive racing! I too am a retired electrician, and started out with gassers in the late 60's, only to return to those roots when I retired 6 years ago.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Small World, I just retired six years ago. I was running the Fire Alarm System at Fountain Blue here in Vegas. I have had several drag cars. Raced again in the sand here in Vegas when i first moved here 20 yrs. ago. Did a 69 Bronco, built a stroker Cleveland back then. Just sold my 55 Chevy last year, it was on Street Outlaws just after i sold it. Still have a couple Willys projects, not sure if im going to get back to them or not. The Super Stude has most of my attention at present. I have a 67 Bel Air with a Chris Alston Chassis that should be coming out of the engine shop soon. I have a site on Racing Junk with most of my old stuff on it. I go by Gasserted on there too. Is that your Austin, looks nice, i had an Anglia for awhile, have a couple Henry J's for sale, both projects too. e-mail me some pic's of you stuff if you have time. [email protected] Enjoyed it Bro. Ted

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hi Ted, Your going to like it here for sure!

Welcome, and that comes from a fellow dunner! Glamis and the sand is a passion of mine , has been since 1979.

Curious what age you were when you parked next to Jr. Thompson with the Willys and got hooked on Gassers?

I love to pull wheelies (see my dune pic) and I think that is part of the draw for me with Gassers!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice meeting another Dunner. Lots of things has changed since the late 50's when i started. I started with my Dad, he bought model A pick ups. so we could haul more people around in the dunes. He would buy a good running pick up for under 150 bucks, take it home and take a cutting torch to the rear fenders to get bigger tires on it. Then we put flathead V-8's in them to get more power. Then removed the frame rails and z'd the frame and hooked the ford closed drive shaft tranny directly to the rear end with a 4 1/2 inch shortened tube, so the tail shaft of the 3speed tranny hooked the pinion shaft of the rear end with just the u-joint, not much travel but we made over 20 of these bubbies for most of the member's of the Dune Rider's at that time, my Dad was the V.P. for awhile. Then we started hopping up the flatheads with finded alumn. heads, 3 and 4 two manifolds with 97 carbs, we bought most of the hot rod stuff threw JC Whitney back then, I used to make the shifter for a column shift tranny , by shortening the original column shifter, then Fenton came out with a factory shifter. Race the flatheads and did well until chevy came out with the SBC, they would blow our drawer's off. Fun time back then, we would put a roll bar on the back with a spare tire behind the seat and the extra weight back there made it easy to do wheelie's, as a kid that's were i usually rode... i only have a few pic's, will put some on for you.
I was about 20 years old when i first met Jr. Thompson at Lion's drag strip. We were racing our El Camino's and had parked next him one week end. Sorry can'f find the area to load pic's...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts