Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with my father in law the other day about some pie crust slick options for his car and mentioned that it is too bad that Hurst Racing tires is not operating these days as they had some nice stuff. I knew that they still had their website up and running so I was going to show him their options. Last I heard was that they were looking for a new location to set up again. Now even their website is down. Bummer. They had some nice product. We are looking at Towel city tires for an option now but I kind of liked some of the Hurst stuff better. Their front runners were cool. Has anyone heard any news of them getting it all back together sometime? I hate to see a business like this disappear. I wish them the best of luck getting up and running again someday.
Greg

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Hurst was right here in town, and last time I spoke with Steve he had all the molds and equipment still in storage. I don't think he's totally given up on the idea of possibly reopening someday, but it sure looks like the odds are against it. Their tires were great looking, and I think the best looking of all that style of pie crust slick. If I ever wear out my M&H drag radials on my Austin, I'll probably end up going to Towell City also. Not quite ass cool looking design, but they do carry a lot more variety in width, and height. I couldn't find anything at Hurst that would fit my 8.5"x15" ET slots, and not be too big a diameter to fit in my wheelwell opening. Towell City has a 9" slick that is 28.5" tall, and would be perfect size for my Austin.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will keep my fingers crossed on their revival. If not for tires on my own car, then for the survival of a classic and cool business. I am not a hurry to buy anything for my car as i have what I need for mock up. I just need some rubber for the back before I actually drive the car on the street. A pair of Hurst cheaters would have been just the ticket but that same Towell City 9' by 28.5" slick would be perfect for my 55' as well. Thanks for the info.
Greg

·
Registered
644 Posts
Best would be to go to Radir. Not recap.!

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Hurst has a very good reputation for quality, and I sure have found mine have held up well so far. I spoke with Cody this summer, and he tells me that Hurst may soon be reopening under new ownership in California. No details yet on when, as it's too early to say.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is great news that there is a possibility of a Hurst tire resurrection. You would think there is enough market for it. I am not afraid of recaps. A correctly done recap tire is as good as any tire. All tires are built in layers and vulcanized in a mold. The only difference is the core layers are used. If quality cores are used and vulcanized correctly they can be excellent tires. There are plenty of people out there that have their beliefs on recaps but I am quite comfortable with them because I understand how it is done.
Greg

·
Registered
203 Posts
"A correctly done recap tire is as good as any tire"

Agreed !

I ran Sears recaps my whole live, never a mishap. Used to race the '62 Chevy on recaps. Almost all snow tires offered around here were recaps, didn't think twice about buying and using them in any situation.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I heard they use radial casings and they are done differently than the old type recap. Everybody I talked to are happy with them. They say they wear better and hook up pretty decent on the strip. I have no experience with them, but am going to give them a try if I ever get that far.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
They do indeed use radial casings, and very specific casings. Hurst only used one exact brand and size to build their cheater slicks, as the mold requires that a certain tire casing is used, or it will either be too full, or not full enough. When they were in business Steve spent a lot of time picking up those exact casings and inspecting them inside and out prior to culling the best ones out. He never bought a casing that had a patch or repair, even though the capping process would cover that easily.
My Hurst cheaters didn't get but one trip to the dragstrip, as I found them to not be a good compound for traction on the built up rubber there. They actually hook up much better on the street than the strip! But they wear like iron, and I suspect that's because the compound is harder than a modern slick is made from. After a full two days of racing on mine, I could still see the casting line on the tread surface! If they were softer it would have been gone in just a few staging burnouts.

·
Registered
112 Posts
And that's another reason the new Pie Crust slicks are so cool. They hook up about as good as they did back in the day. A slight screech from the slicks at the starting line is music to the ears!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts