Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a case of the law failing an average guy, and the rich jerk having enough money to keep stolen property! I have a friend who is friends with the '70 Cuda's owner, and it seems he may well lose the car, even though he has everything to prove it's his. He just doesn't have the money to fight a rich jerk like Len Sitton who possesses his car, and wont do the right thing and give it back. Nobody knows how he came into possession of Mr. White's Cuda, but since he's never attempted to apply for a title, I'd question if he knew it was not going to pass muster.
At this point it seems the law is taking a hands off approach, and Len Sitton is wealthy enough to make this a long, expensive court battle, knowing full well that Mr. White will run out of money before he can prove legal ownership and win his car back.
This what our society has become, where a person can hide stolen property long enough, and the laws wont help the rightful owner get it back!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D93xMa1gMbk
I hope everyone who reads this is outraged enough to send an email to Mayor Hales office, and let him know how outraged they are!
[email protected]<[email protected]n.gov

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Vall this is something that's been going on for years ! ! I had a 70 Chevelle SS, stolen from me back in the mid 70's to find it on a secondary road 5 years later, and I produced the title and pictures and police report. I never got the car back ! ! Fast forward to the early 90's I had been broken into by a neighbor, who took a piece of equipment, and I lead the state police to the person and they ran the investigation three weeks past the statute, and I lost that equipment. Now I did get paid back for the equipment from my insurance company, but that didn't fix what happened. Then to get visited from the very same troopers because someone else he screwed, went and messed up his lawn, they figured I may have been getting revenge. :mad: the system doesn't always work ! ! :confused:

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
We just had that happen down here with an early (1963??) Olds F-85 convert. Guy bought it from someone, with only a bill of sale. The DMV mistakenly give the new owner a renewed title. Then he put over $16000 restoring it. A friend of the original owner saw it setting by a paint shop, the owner took his old title and retrieved the car. The DMV did everything wrong. Did not see the stolen car report and made a new title. Now the guy that put in $16000 to restore it is out everything. DMV will do nothing because they said it was a mistake, not done on purpose, so go scratch!!! The guy that restored it went to the original owner, asked if he could buy it from him and the original owner would not sell it to him. Instead gave it to the guy that found the car for something like $2000 as a reward for finding it.

Mark

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's one of the reasons I wont buy a car without a title. I have a friend who lives in Arizona, and he says it's very easy to get a title for a car there, and he's gotten plenty of them titled after he bought them with no title.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm amazed that there are states that don't require titles, and surprised they don't have thousands of stolen vehicles going through their books!

·
Registered
750 Posts
That is total BS. I sent an email to the mayor. for whatever good that will do.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is total BS. I sent an email to the mayor. for whatever good that will do.
Thanks Dave! It WILL help! Politicians don't like bad PR or hassles, so if they get tired of the emails they'll do something! All the emails are much appreciated by Rick and his wife! Or any other help we can give!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
As my ole' grandfather used to say, "the only justice in the justice system is the injustice in it."

We don't see that type problem in North Carolina much anymore. Used to be able to get a title for almost anything. Used to be able to buy a vehicle and have the seller sign the transfer section(an open title) and go on your merry way. That vehicle may change hands several times before the title is ever registered again. But all of that has been pretty much stopped. One does not want to get caught with possession of an open title now days. It's also unlawful to sell a vehicle in NC without a title. NC is now one of the toughest states in the country when it comes to vehicle registration.

Vall, I hope your friend will eventually prevail and receive his car back. Keep us posted....

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Val,
Maybe someone could help set up a fund raiser on a web page so he could get the money he needs to fight these idiots. I would gladly send via paypal a small donation for the cause. I think hotrodders and gasser guys across America could help him get the car back. Maybe even Jay Leno if he knew about it. This is a great injustice.
Mario

Ps: my coupe had a similar story before I owned it. Car Was in a body shop for repaint. Took forever and during the work the body shop owner decided to sell the car to a young kid with no title. Body guy left town. The kid committed suicide reason not known. Mother had the car in her possession. Mother dug down deep on the car like an Alabama tick.
My friend had to go through the courts with so much exhaustion that he never wanted to finish painting the car when he did finally get it back. So it sat till I bought it. When I first finished the paint I sent him a picture and he cried.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Mario! That's the kind of exposure this needs, and the kind of exposure this cockroach Sitton needs too! We've had a major email writing campaign going to the mayor's office to try and keep pressure on the police. They have things they could charge Sitton with if they chose to enforce the 30 day title change law, or possession of stolen property law. Might be toher things too, but so far they're closed mouth about what, or if they're doing anything.
Mayor's email:
[email protected]<[email protected]

·
Registered
922 Posts
Every once in a while, you hear about the Feds seizing a stolen vehicle about to be sent overseas. They must know laws your local cops don't.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oh man that is nuts Val keep us posted on the out come of this. This is just soooooo wrong that guy should give all the info on how he got the car as well as just give it back . This would land me in jail for sure I would have no self control !!!

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Saw the rightful owner yesterday, and the word is the car is completely disassembled. Not sure if all the parts are there, or if this is an attempt to conceal as many parts as possible to make the car worthless if the crook is forced to give the car up. Another sneaky, low down, dirty trick.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oh man that is nuts Val keep us posted on the out come of this. This is just soooooo wrong that guy should give all the info on how he got the car as well as just give it back . This would land me in jail for sure I would have no self control !!!
yeah i'm with you. there would be no safe place for this guy to hide. if he is so well off he should do the right thing and give it back and go buy one legit. every time i watch the video i wanna slap the sreen

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most cockroaches hide when the lights come on. This guy doesn't seem to be affected by the bad PR, and as Rick said in the interview, it's like he's just thumbing his nose at him and laughing about having his car!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Oh man I hope they do what's right for the cuda owner.
Great news
Mario

1 - 20 of 72 Posts