Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OH NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I ran out of beer and popcorn. That’s alright got on my 37 and heading towards town to my local grocery store time to take the car out. Park and went inside to get some beer and popcorn. When I got to out to the parking lot I noticed a crowd of people around my car. First thought some S hole backed into it. People both young and old were checking it out…..lots of ??? but the most common was how much money do you have invested in her?????????? In the pass, young adults began building cars from nothing, made to go as fast as they could for as little money as possible. This were accomplished through ingenuity, burgeoning fabrication skills, and a keen sense of which junkyard parts . The result was an entirely new, individually tailored gasser hot rod. Gasser hot rods were viewed as loud, troublemaking race cars for grease monkeys. Early gasser hot rods prove to be the most valuable, especially if they were famous in their day—Hot Rod magazine or other car magazines covers important show winners, cars built by big names. These are six- and seven-figure machines that sit at the top of the heap. Not every gasser has an audience beyond its builder. There is an incredibly high value in any cool gasser, whether it’s a famous period piece or one built by a father-son team and a Speedway Motors catalog. After all, that’s what gasser hot-rodding is about—crafting something unlike any other car on the road. These days, it’s also about honoring this once-tiny underground movement started by young adults who just wanted to go fast on the cheap. It really did change our world for the better, and you can’t put a price on that.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
The last three I've built are all four figure cars Rik. None of them broke $10k to build, including the original purchase price. But I'm a big old cheapskate, and buy a lot of wrecking yard, swap meet, and Craigslist parts. I consider it a challenge to try and skimp on things where I can, and where it wont affect safety or reliability.
But whenever anyone asks, I simply tell them I'm not keeping track of dollars. Unless their a close friend I don't see where money is something I discuss with somebody I don't know.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have had that question from my new neighbors stopping to check the car out. I tell them I honestly do not know, nor do I care. It is what it is and like Vall, I am a cheap-o and scrounge Facebook marketplace for hours waiting for something to pop up and then I try to get it. I am almost dreading taking it out in public for the first time because I know I am gonna take some heat for the things I have done to it. But, as I learned from building all those bikes, I did not build it for anyone else but me.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Fortunately my wife never asks. But I see the occasional raised eyebrow as more parts show up at the door during a build. But she knows I'm cutting every corner I can, and trying to stay within some imaginary budget.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I just tell'em' "Enough"

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All right all right don’t rush me, I’m-a-thinkin’ … so much has been done but it’s not done and my head hurts”. A sbc 400 with a tunnel ram with my own fender headers, electric cut outs with dynomax bullets.....yeah, it's worth ceramic coating. Build my own motor mount, transmission cross member, gas tank, my own roll cage, 9 ford rear end. Ordered from Bitchin Products when the company was alive parts for the floor and the tailpan is from EMS. The back was mimi tub and narrow. A 4 link with anti-roll bars added to my chassis a wishbone due to insufficient clearance for a track locater. Wilwood four piston calipers . The wiring was farm out.Searches on craigslist and ebay. Found a fiblerglass grill for ($45.00), not so bad grill ($75.00) with my grill will amalgamate them. Did not pay over $1000 + for a grill. I have around 11k in my project cause I had to farm out stuff I can’t do. Of course, working to get something for less money is part of the fun. still have a ways to go buttttttt getting her done. I sold the Pinto/Mustang II front cross member with front suspension, 9” Lincoln Versailles rear end with disc brakes and springs. 10K in my project. good comments guys

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Rik, I ran into sticker shock when trying to get a grille for my '39! Good clean grilles ran $1200 min, and nice grilles were $1600-$2000!! I talked to the local supplier I use, who had the $2000 grille about options, and he told me to "go look in the 2ndd floor of that out building".
I found 4 or 5 halves of '39 grilles, and all were damaged on the bottom 4-5 cross bars. I grabbed three of the straightest damaged grille halves, and took them up front to ask the prices. He looked them over and told me $150 for all three! So went home and cut off the bent and rotted out lower grill bars, and cut out upper bars from the worst grille. Then cut the bars to length to fit as repair bars, and had a guy tig weld them into my grille. After sanding, and cleaning the repaired grille I did a skim coat over some pitting with body filler, and just painted it a dark metallic gray. It's not perfect, but I sure like $150 vs. those huge prices!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
How much...don't give a shit..you only go around once...and when I die, I am going to make sure that the last check I write bounces.........lol

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
This thread spurred me to go back through and do two things. First to make up a list of what donor parts I used, like engine, trans, front and rear axles, and whatever else I might want to reference in the future!
Second to do a tally of what I paid for anything related to the build of my '39 Chev, not including tools I bought, like the sewing machine, grinders, spray guns, etc.; since they will get used on other cars too. When I finished my tally I was shocked, but in a good way. I was off on my off the cuff estimate by almost $2k too much, so a lot lower build cost than I thought.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well? How much money you have invested in her?? HaHa. Just kidding Vall! 2k less is indeed a good thing.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I just did the same thing and I am just south of 3500. Don't mind telling because I am pretty proud of the deals I made and the money I saved by trying things myself. It is probably closer to 4K, but hell, who is counting. And it did not hurt that I bought the actual car for 400!

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Well? How much money you have invested in her?? HaHa. Just kidding Vall! 2k less is indeed a good thing.
I don't mind saying either Dave, as I got lucky with things like my 350 roller motor short block for $100 rebuilt! And the trans and rear axle were bargains at $175, and $110. And a front axle at $100 too. Seats at $30 a pair, and almost nothing invested in my entire interior, and paint work.
My total came up to $4250 all in. This of course included credits for all the parts that were inside the car when I bought it. Those were traded or sold for enough money to zero out what I paid for the car to begin with.

·
Registered
750 Posts
And this is why I giggle when guys pay 60k or more for a car they did not build.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My cousin had 35 Ford 3 window coupe as a John Deere employee he found it on the farm when the owner was trading equipment. I was a boy then and hoped to own one some day. I had a yearning for a gasser rod with no big bank account I drafted an old chevy with no engine or trans I felt like the little boy. If you can weld, are mechanically adept and have knowledge of basic electrics you can build something exciting from what you’ve got lying around. I was invited for some coffee at a local dinner and on the way we visited a hot rod specialties shop and on the wall was a sign showing their hourly rate of $125 an hour which I thought was WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
And this is why I giggle when guys pay 60k or more for a car they did not build.
I chuckle when guys tell me they'd love to build this or that car, but don't have 1- decent shop, 2-$30k to spend, 3-the right tools, 4-etc., etc., etc.
My reply has always been to tell them nicely that they really don't want that car all that bad, as there are huge numbers of guys building hotrods in their driveways in all sorts of nasty weather, with very small budgets, and limited tools.
Of course a nice shop, all the best tools, and a solid car to start with, make it all easier. But they certainly aren't necessities to building a hotrod. It's 90% determination, and sweat. The rest just isn't a prerequisite to building it if you've got enough of the first.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I think another important factor is at what age the hot rod bug bit you. It seems to me that with most guys, myself included, it starts at an early age with car magazines, models, slot cars, the dude in the neighborhood with the hot rod, your sisters boyfriend with the hot rod etc. When I first started the only tools I had to use were my dads basic 1/2" drive socket and combination wrench sets; I didn't even know 3/8 drive existed. I was 18 working at a Standard Station when I saved up and bought my first tools, a Craftsman mechanics set and I'm still buying tools. I just recently bought a 1/4" drive compact cordless ratchet I may not use for a while but what the hell.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
I think another important factor is at what age the hot rod bug bit you. It seems to me that with most guys, myself included, it starts at an early age with car magazines, models, slot cars, the dude in the neighborhood with the hot rod, your sisters boyfriend with the hot rod etc. When I first started the only tools I had to use were my dads basic 1/2" drive socket and combination wrench sets; I didn't even know 3/8 drive existed. I was 18 working at a Standard Station when I saved up and bought my first tools, a Craftsman mechanics set and I'm still buying tools. I just recently bought a 1/4" drive compact cordless ratchet I may not use for a while but what the hell.
I agree Steve! The earlier you got the bug, the more likely you are to pursue it further. Those who didn't have the desire to own or build a vintage car until maybe their 20's, or 30's, are less likely to get the interest to the level of guys who got bitten by the hotrod bug before they could even drive.

·
Registered
641 Posts
They don't have the know how or too old.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts