Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a buddy about wanting to start my gasser build and he said their no fun to drive on street. I havn't driven one so I'm looking to the experts for honest opinions. On the hammer and everyday driving. Look forward to your views.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
If you want it to be your daily rush-hour car, it would probably be a pain. I have ridden in quite a few and they are a blast. I'll drive mine every time I get when it's finished. I drove my '55 as a daily driver for a couple years before I converted it.

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I buddy is to use to his super handling camero and the gasser he drove was up pretty high with bias ply frisbies up front. Apples and oranges in comparison. I was going to build a 32 ford I have but it needs a ton of work. Switching to my 65 chevy C10 short bed. Should be a really cool truck with a bbc and a 4 speed.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
When I built my Austin in winter of 2010/11, my other car was my '71 Camaro. Night and day difference in handling and feel, but I much prefer the Austin. In the first 7 months of having the Austin on the road I put 5,000 miles on it, driving it every chance I got. I was surprised how enjoyable it is to drive, and although it's not a corner carver, and rides a bit stiffer, it's so much fun and enjoyment to drive.
I feel the same way about my Falcon gasser, and I wouldn't have built a 2nd gasser if I found the first one objectionable. Anyone who says a gasser is no fun to drive on the street either hasn't driven one enough, or is driving one that is not set up well. I haven't had this much fun with cars since my last '55 gasser got stolen in 1971. And I sold my '71 Camaro after 40 years because it just sat and I never drove it once the Austin was done.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A lot has been written about straight axle cars-both good and bad. Ive had many thru the years and have found that with proper setup,no worn parts.power steering and disc brakes they are very user friendly. I would drive my 39 anywhere and they are a blast to drive. Unfortunately ,they got a bad rap because of shoddy installations ,I think that's why a lot of guys don't want them. You can get lots of info on this sight and the tri-five gasser sight re straight axles -Go for it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the replies gentleman. My mind is made up. Gasser it is. Really looking forward to getting started and having my own build thread.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
No one mentioned this but if you have an ego (mine is as big as Montana) you're gunna get much more looks in that Gasser than in a pony car of even some muscle cars. Some looks may be looks of appreciation for what you have, some may be of WTH???, to you gotta be kidding. But your gunna get the looks and in my experience, I'd say the looks of approval far out weigh the looks of disgust.

Mark

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
No one mentioned this but if you have an ego (mine is as big as Montana) you're gunna get much more looks in that Gasser than in a pony car of even some muscle cars. Some looks may be looks of appreciation for what you have, some may be of WTH???, to you gotta be kidding. But your gunna get the looks and in my experience, I'd say the looks of approval far out weigh the looks of disgust.

Mark
Totally agree Mark! They do get tons of attention and thumbs up. I do get the occasional uneducated that asks if it has "air lift suspension" or thinks it's a 4WD! I just laugh about those people, who really are clueless.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Yeah, overheard a ricer kid ask the guy next to him why anyone would want to make a car look like a 4X4??

Mark

·
Registered
243 Posts
After kicking this topic around for a couple days I thought I'd add my .02. Be mindful that during the gasser wars it wasn't about how the ride. The ride was the farthest thing from the builders mind. If you could get the car set up to go down the track without knocking the tires off of it that was all that mattered. When the right foot is tickling the backside of the carb and your right arm is trying to pull that hurst shifter through the floorboard and your cheeks are rolling back around your ears with the sound of a V8 spoiling up around 7 or 8 grand who gives a crap what the rides like just please don't stop the bliss !!!

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
All true Geerbanger, but looks were important to me back in the 60's! There were lots of quick cars going straight down the strip, but those that did all that and also looked great were head and shoulders above the rest! On my '55 Chevy gasser I tried to make it very quick, and still be streetable, but also wanted the stance to be perfect. I also ran full interior, and had a nice gloss black paint job, with Cragar S/S all around. Back then I would suffer a little off the times to make it a beautiful car; just not a lot off. ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Great minds think alike Vall. However, looking back at the paint jobs during that era they don't appear to have made a large investment in the paint. Passable at best,in my mind. I like the shine,that's just part of the package. The handful of custom paint jobs during that era are not replicated today. Or at least no one attempts to replicate them today.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Mine was definitely NOT a high end paint job back then either Jason! As a matter of fact I had the "midnight black" shot at a local Earl Scheib at night by one of their painters. I bought the paint myself, as I didn't trust the way their painter said they thinned their paint down, and we mixed in very tiny gold metallic into the gloss black to make the black sparkle in the sun, or under the lights at night. It cost me a couple hundred dollars back then, which was still cheaper than the "expensive" paint jobs that cost $1,000-$2,000 then. Nobody knew how little I spent, as it really did make it look as good as anything else that cost 5x-10x as much.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm glad this question was asked because once I get my car and get it done it will be a daily driver depending on the weather thank god it don't rain much in Las Vegas LOL.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My Willys is built as the gas coupe and sedan class was originally intended. Modified street legal cars. So it is nose down small tires in front big tires in the rear, mufflers,etc, and state license.

It wasn't long before the front ends were raised a foot or more and lighter straight axels became the norm. Mufflers were left at home along with all the exhaust pipes. Really hot motors right out of top gas dragsters were installed and the cars went really fast......many crashed unfortunately for all kinds of reasons.

My car is not a racer even though it is supercharged and really does go fast. If it could go back in time it probably would hold its own. The 4 link is set at 135% rise so it really hooks and almost leaps at the launch. I don't fool around on the street as I want to drive it as much as I can and I don't need and expensive tickets or broken parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here is a little addition I made to help handling and ride. I have a large and stiff rear anti roll bar as the narrowed rear end has little roll stiffness. The bad part is it makes for a bit choppy ride. The good part is that I can take cloverleafs and roundabouts at a good clip. The stiff anti roll bar makes it pretty easy to adjust to get the car to launch straight and plant both tires equally.

Several years ago I got tired of the choppy ride so I came up with this spring loaded link for the anti roll bar. Essentially it softens the effect. The spring is a very heavy die spring I chose as the compromiser. It is adjustable. Being an engineer and having an extensive CAD program made the design pretty easy.

Did it work? Yeah it did but the nice straight launch was compromised so I removed them and went back to the standard links.

Once again the ride issue became more and more difficult to live with so I reinstalled them. I've got several thousand miles on them and a bunch in the rain. They really do work pretty well and they quiet the knocking from the rear suspension.

Here is a picture

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts