Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was moving some stuff around in the workshop today & stumbled across a truck arm suspension setup that came with a C10 p/u project I had a few years ago.

It was made by "Hot Rods to Hell".
GO TO: http://www.hotrodstohell.net/catalog/catalog.htm#PC

Has anyone seen this setup used before?

It has pretty simple adjustable coil spring setup that I wonder if I could use it in lieu of the coil over that used to be on the tube chassis. It is a pretty slick and simple setup. I'll dig it out & take some close up pics of the springs mounting plates & adjustable threaded jacking-bolts.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Hey John. That is a pretty nice setup. It will work nice, not as good for the drap strip as a four link or ladders, but it works really well for a street/strip car. But really excells on the street. Especially a cruiser. If you want more of a street car with only occasional strip work, that will work great. If you have enough room under that "LITTLE" (heh) car. One noce thing is, with the length of the long trailing arms, you can still run a long ladder bar the same length as the trailing arms and they won't bind due to the same motion arc. Mark L

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marcus YouKnowestMeOus..... I AM planning to use an old school looking "LADDER BAR." which I will make as long & old school-looking . This kit is made with the intention that the purchaser would be using with kit with the "stock trailing arms". Which of course I HAVE NONE.

The previous owner of the tube chassis took off ladder bars, all of the coil-overs, shocks, etc so in a way I have an "empty canvas" to work with.

Yesterday (Sunday) I spent most of the day "detailing" my wife's Avalanche..... which is like cleaning up a battleship....ha!!!!

In between doing that & a few other "getting ready for Winter chores, I spent some time with the tube chassis & a tape measure & also crawling aroind under the Opel (which is always a LOT of fun....ha) looking at what will need to be done to get the body OFF of the modified stock unibody with add-on sub frame ithe Opel's body is currently sitting on.

It is amazing how "close" the measurements are between the Opel and the tube chassis frame & roll cage are. The tube chassis was originally made Vega station wagon and use for years. But when the previous owner kept going faster & faster he..... he had to build a new tube chassis to pass NHRA/IHRA rules and become certified for the "fast little Vega station wagon". That's how I ended up with this tube chassis.

Anyway..... I took some pics of the measurements & also of the undercarriage of the Opel that I'll post as soon as I can get them downloaded, etc.

It's NOT LIKE the tube chassis was made for our Opel. But considering it was made for a totally different make/model the initial measurements I have done & all the starring here & there so far is very encouraging.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Truck trailing arms work well, but you'll need to probably fab a front hanger/bracket that is low enough to allow the arm's travel and not hit or interfere with interior space or frame tubing. I would probably keep the 4 link and just head to the local junkyard and grab a pair of coilovers off a Jaguar or Corvette for cheap. I got mine for $40 a pair off a Jaguar, and they pulled them even!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
........ I would probably keep the 4 link and just head to the local junkyard and grab a pair of coilovers off a Jaguar or Corvette for cheap I got mine for $40 a pair off a Jaguar, and they pulled them even!
Really!!!! Plus you just said the MAGIC WORD.... "cheap".

I was concerned about what to do being the tube chassis did not come with shocks..... front or rear. I know it used to have coilovers on it. Coilovers can be very pricey.

Thanks for the cure to another problem Vall!!!!

BTW.... the original owner of this tube chassis is a local guy. In fact I have seen his car run quite a few times in the past. So one day I'll be able to talk to him about it. Curious to find out what kind of headers he used or did he run custom made ones.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
I went to a place that had lots of British imports being parted out, and they had a lot of coilover shocks that were sitting on the shelves. I decided to check the yard as they said they had more on cars. I found a pretty new pair of QA1's, and when I told them I was building a hotrod on the cheap, they gave them to me for the same price as the OEM coilovers. OEM's are probably as good, but I figured I might as well try to find newer stuff!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is NO DOUBT it'll be awhile before I will be needing anything so I'll be able to spend more time to search out deals for a change instead of immediately ordering from Summit every time I need something.

Getting "lucky" with the tube chassis is proof that "low buck" can happen... that it can even happen to me. It just usually does NOT happen to me so I do not expect it to. Hopefully this time around my "luck" will continue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts