Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious if anyone else noticed that the Cragar S/S wheel was missing from the "Wheels you can put on your gasser" article? I've looked at tons of old pics of gassers from sites like Byrons Gasser Madness and such and always see those wheels being used back then. Anyone know why there were left out? Is it because they are still being produced new to this day?

As you can see I am running a set of them on my 55 but please don't hold back if you know why there were "black balled." Ha!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I noticed that too. I think that the purists hate the S/S. I have a buddy who is a die-hard American 5 spoke guy and he hates S/Ss. To me it's like the Ford/Chevy thing, I don't care as long as it's cool. Same thing with the wheels. I've had them on my cars since the '70s when I could drive and I love 'em. Americans, too. And Centerlines. And Coke-bottles. And rallys. And, and, and...

I guess if you are trying to copy a specific car at a specific time and that is what it had, then you're golden. But what about Chrome Reverse wheels. I seem to remember tons of those in the late '50s early '60s cars in mags.

I don't fret it much, I have them on my '59 T-Bird and my '73 Ventura. I also have a new set in the shop that will end up on something.

Mike

·
Administrator
13,542 Posts
Cragars were around back then, and many street cars ran them. I had them all around on my first '55 Chevy gasser in 1970. Even back then a lot of guys would question my using Cragar S/S wheels, and said they were weaker than a lot of other one piece cast wheels. I'm guessing that's why I often saw Cragars S/S on the front of cars at the drags, but something else on the rears. Looking through the Gasser Wars book, I see almost no strip gassers running them, and the few that do are in front only.
I never had any issues with them, and also ran them all around on my '71 Camaro for most of the years I raced it.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
^^ That's funny, Vall. I never realized the genesis of the S/S front, slot rear. That's what I plan on running on my '59 truck because I like the look and saw it alot. I thought that it was because of width or offset.

Mike

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I remember guys running the Cragar S/S wheels back in the day. Lots of them did run only the "front-runners" but I do recall many running them on the rear. I ran them on almost every car I had and never any issues at all. I love my Cragars! And yours too.......:D :D:D

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
That's what I put on the front of my Cat. And plan to get the biggest/widest ones I can for the rear.

Mark L

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What issue was it in Max? I stopped reading Hot Rod when they started putting Honda's in the magazine.
Mike, its in the November 2012 issue. The cover features a killer Willys green gasser on the front. A pretty good gasser article inside too. Hot Rod has seem to recently wake up to the koolness of gassers and uniquely built Rat Rods. They even admit to increased news stand sales whenever they feature one of these cars on the cover. I know that must drive some of the Hot Rod Magazine die hard fans nuts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I noticed that too. I think that the purists hate the S/S. I have a buddy who is a die-hard American 5 spoke guy and he hates S/Ss. To me it's like the Ford/Chevy thing, I don't care as long as it's cool. Same thing with the wheels. I've had them on my cars since the '70s when I could drive and I love 'em. Americans, too. And Centerlines. And Coke-bottles. And rallys. And, and, and...

I guess if you are trying to copy a specific car at a specific time and that is what it had, then you're golden. But what about Chrome Reverse wheels. I seem to remember tons of those in the late '50s early '60s cars in mags.

I don't fret it much, I have them on my '59 T-Bird and my '73 Ventura. I also have a new set in the shop that will end up on something.

Mike
Your'e right! Chrome reverse got the shaft too!! And those were definitely popular in the day!! I guess its like what you said, the owner of the shop they were featuring probably had a personal bias against those wheels.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I remember guys running the Cragar S/S wheels back in the day. Lots of them did run only the "front-runners" but I do recall many running them on the rear. I ran them on almost every car I had and never any issues at all. I love my Cragars! And yours too.......:D :D:D
Thanks Robert!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I put on the front of my Cat. And plan to get the biggest/widest ones I can for the rear.

Mark L
Mark, Ive got 8's in the rear right now stuffed with a 10 inch wide cheater, but I also have some 10's sitting in the basement that i contemplate running also. Just haven't built up the courage yet to cut the rear quarters. I should've thought of that before I painted it!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Thanks Max, I will take a look for the magazine. I always liked the S/S wheels. The only thing was they would rust and peel fairly quick in the old days, not sure how the newer ones hold up. But if you need a home for the 10's let me know.

·
Administrator
13,542 Posts
The Cragars on my '71 Camaro started peeling and looked fugly! I was more concerned with going fast, so I pulled them off and sanded the centers, then got gold paint and painted them gold. Lots of guys at the track wanted to know where I got the gold center Cragars, and the next year Cragar came out with the gold centers. I liked mine better, because they were a darker gold, and not so much bling!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Cragars on my '71 Camaro started peeling and looked fugly! I was more concerned with going fast, so I pulled them off and sanded the centers, then got gold paint and painted them gold. Lots of guys at the track wanted to know where I got the gold center Cragars, and the next year Cragar came out with the gold centers. I liked mine better, because they were a darker gold, and not so much bling!
Thats funny to hear Vall! You started a trend!!
Ive also seen that trend pick up again recently. There are lots of S/S's laying around that are all pitted and rusted out. I talked to some powder coating folks in Florida who sand blasted them and then coated them with a kind of "clear" color and they looked killer. Not sure what you would call the coat but it looked great. The metal base was showing through the color, almost like an "anodized" look

·
Administrator
13,542 Posts
Those old knockoff style Cragar caps are probably spendier than the wheels! Whenever I see them for sale the prices are crazy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts