Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an FYI, they are streaming Drag Week live on YouTube. Pretty neat.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have absolutely gone head over heels for drag week ever since seeing Larsen's Nova do 7.00 at my track a month ago. The idea of going as fast as these guys and still be able to drive the 1000 miles between all the tracks is pretty cool to me. Plus, they have a gasser class! I keep trying to build one in my head with different ideas, and then realize that these guys are like 10 steps ahead of me...

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
I think you may be missing the fun if you try to play with the big boys who have a lot of money tied up in those 7 sec. street legal cars. It's a sure bet they'll get all the press in the big car magazines, but I bet they wont have as much fun as the guys who run 11-13 sec. et's and drive them on the street.
I raced for many years and drove my car every day to work during the week. Thousands of miles on the street, and 16 years of 1/4 mile runs. I had a ball, and never seriously thought I'd ever win an event in the class my car ran in, as the winningest cars were never driven on the street.
Go out and build your Chevelle to be quick, and strong. Then enjoy it all year long, and take it to drag week and have some fun with it there. Don't worry about doing 7 seconds, just make sure you have a lot of fun with it!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cannot even begin to think of all the money they spend on those 7 second cars. If you are on the HAMB forum and watched Squirrel build his nova gasser, I saw him on his first run. He beat the other dude and ran mid 10's.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
I cannot even begin to think of all the money they spend on those 7 second cars. If you are on the HAMB forum and watched Squirrel build his nova gasser, I saw him on his first run. He beat the other dude and ran mid 10's.
And he will probably drive his Nova way more than the other guys do the rest the year! Those guys are required to drive their cars between events on the streets, and then make passes at the drags. But once the event is over, most 7 sec. cars wont see much street use after that. Squirrel's Nova is a more streetable car, and will be driven a lot of street miles long after Drag Week is done.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Vall, I completely agree with you. The ability to have fun at these events isn't limited to the Unlimited class. The 7 second cars are in no way a street car. Larson's S-10 he brought to this event has two fuel systems, one pump gas and one methanol. He swaps out the entire "street" fuel system, takes out the radiator and drains all the coolant, installs the wheelie bars, installs the drag chute, etc. all before making a pass with his "street car". Not to mention the jungle gym roll cage and sparse "interior" (if you can even call it that). The money involved in that class in insane to me. But, I think the engineering and thought process to get those cars somewhat streetable and drive in between events is what I like to see. I am an engineer myself, so that part is interesting to me.

I have never really built my car with the intention of racing it regularly. Only to run it down the track a few times to get some things dialed in and see what it will do out of curiosity. Although as I type this, building a car with more drag racing intentions has been on the mind for awhile now... If only the funds (and time) would allow.

Certainly fun to watch though!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You see the all steel Camaro who set the new record? 6.52. Holy crap!

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Zack, I think you're on the right path. It's great to build a car that's well engineered, safe, and fun. It's also fun to build one that leans more towards racing, even if you only occasionally race it. Afterall, that's really what gassers were about back in the day. Even back then, most guys drove their gassers all week long, and raced on weekends. Even then, the wealthy guy were the only ones who could afford a top ten car that was strictly for the track. Some things never change.
Everyone who builds a gasser, or play car, should run it down the strip at least once in awhile! It's just such a fun thing to do, and I guarantee once you do it, you'll want to do it again the next year, or whenever the chance comes along!

·
Registered
157 Posts
You see the all steel Camaro who set the new record? 6.52. Holy crap!
I haven't seen Doug Cline run that fast this week. Tom Bailey ran a 6.52 in testing, but his car is fiberglass (also a Camaro). Doug Cline's '68 Camaro is all steel (except an aluminum truck lid), and has been trying to be the first all-steel car to run 6's at every track.

It is confusing since both cars are orange.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hotrod drag week is the most fun I have with my car. I've done it 4 years in a row and won my gasser class in 2012, almost won it in 2011 if it wasn't for a rain out rule they called. I drive mine year round, Texas is awesome for that. Most of us run in the 11's or 10's, with one running high 9's. Now there is 2 that run deep into the 9's but they are deep pocket pure race cars that don't see street driving any other time of the year. I do it for the great people and the road trip with small towns lining the streets waving at us and taking pictures like we are rock stars. The last two years I've been off my high 10 second times due to blowing up my junk just before DW starts and throwing in slower junk just to make the race instead of sitting at home crying about not going. If you ever do it, you are hooked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts