Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there Gents and greetings from El Paso, Texas. I'm a proud owner of a 55 Chevy Gasser. It's been an ongoing project for about 5 years now. Hopefully i'll finish sometime soon, although projects like these I think are rarely ever "finished." Just a couple quick specs on the car. Hopefully I wont offend any of the traditionalist but this is what i have for now with parts that were available at the time. Running a built BBC 396 punched 60 over. I believe making it a 408, with a decent cam and head work. Air Gap intake with a Demon 750 (thinking about running a Weiand tunnel ram with 2 650's and would love your guys input on that) A drilled straight axle off a '50 F150 up front, and a 31 spline 9 inch with highway gears (3.00) and a trac loc in the rear. A 700r4 for a tranny (wanted an overdrive for road trips) but would really love a 4 speed at some point. Running Bias skinnies up front and some cheater slicks out back. Some long ladder bars are in the works and maybe some blue tinted windows.
Been running the car on the street with open headers and loving it! Gotta build some exhaust at some point, I guess maybe after i get pulled over. Ha!
Anyways, i'm stoked about finding this site and look forward to hearing from you guys.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Hi Max, welcome. And I don't think there are too many of us that have tradtional cars on this site. Don't get me wrong we try, but we also realize it isn't 1969 anymore and things have changed. Your car looks great, and tunnel rams rock. Go for it.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I love traditional gassers, but I also enjoy the cars guys build that are a little outside the box. I think some builds get hung up too much on trying to be so period correct that they frustrate the builder. I made some changes to mine that either made it easier to build, cheaper to build, or more driveable, and I don't regret any of the changes.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Great to have another '55 here! Welcome. We're not an exclusive site here. We have Riviera, Corvair, full-size '60s cars and others that are not 'traditional' cars to use but we love them all. This is GasserHotRods.

Mike

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks so much for the warm welcome fellas!!! I love the gasser attitude and traditional style but I really love to be able to get out and enjoy them!!! And the looks and thumbs up we get all over town!! People pull up next to us on the freeway and take pics and I can also see the men describing to the women why the nose is up so high! Ha!! Anyways, thanks again guys!!

And more pics to come soon!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
...... Been running the car on the street with open headers and loving it! Gotta build some exhaust at some point, I guess maybe after i get pulled over. Ha!

Max.... You're my kind of guy..... I was doing the same thing with my Opel..... being the Opel was a former 100% drag car I had NO headlights (decals) as well has no working parking lights, turn signals, brake lights, lexan windshield ..... fortunately I was never caught .... in fact one time I passed 3 police who were directing traffic around a road construction area & one of the officers actually "waved & gave me thumbs UP"!!!!!

Welcome..... looking forward to hearing & seeing more about your '55

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes!! I had the same experience with the police too! Was sweatin bullets pulling up to an intersection with some cops on foot standing near, running open exhaust, no registration and no functioning lights and all i got was a thumbs up!!! Props to those cops that are "car guys!!"

Max.... You're my kind of guy..... I was doing the same thing with my Opel..... being the Opel was a former 100% drag car I had NO headlights (decals) as well has no working parking lights, turn signals, brake lights, lexan windshield ..... fortunately I was never caught .... in fact one time I passed 3 police who were directing traffic around a road construction area & one of the officers actually "waved & gave me thumbs UP"!!!!!

Welcome..... looking forward to hearing & seeing more about your '55

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Yes!! I had the same experience with the police too! Was sweatin bullets pulling up to an intersection with some cops on foot standing near, running open exhaust, no registration and no functioning lights and all i got was a thumbs up!!! Props to those cops that are "car guys!!"
TIMES SURE HAVE CHANGED!!!! Back in the "good old days" of hot rodding you could get pulled over for next to nothing. Even the slightest modification could get you a "equipment violation". Any suspension mod at all - up in the front or back..... BUSTED ...... HEADERS (capped) ..... BUSTED ...... glass pacs or any kind of muffler other than stock.... BUSTED ...... any hood scoop unless FACTORY installed.... BUSTED ..... any tires past the fenderwell lip..... BUSTED. Racing decals (even the small class winner ones)..... BUSTED and had to scrap them off right there on the spot while the State Trooper watched.

The State Police were the worse. Would even go as far as making you take the car in for an re-inspection at the shop who originally "passed" the car. Of course the line was "Officer all of that stuff was NOT on the car when I brought it in for inspection". If any other violations were found not only the car owner but also the inspection would be fined.

Thankfully those days are gone. Times sure have changed in regards to the kind of hot rods that can now be "legally" used on the street.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Dang John the guys back East had it rough. We west coasters are a bit more laid back I think. I am retired now, so I guess I can spill the beans. I used to follow hot rods around until they parked somewhere, then I would pull up beside them real slow, roll down the window, smile and tell them they had a nice car. Usually after they got over their heart attack, we would take a look at their car and bench race a bit. Always got a chuckle out of that. Best one I think was a buddy and I were going to the swapmeet and he ran a red light while BS'ing. I told him I hope the red light camera didn't get you. I let him sweat it about two weeks then sent him an old out of date ticket in the mail. Boy did he give me blessings when he found out the truth on that one.

·
Registered
699 Posts
A lot of the police in El Paso are car guys from what I have seen. Multiple car shows always had police bringing their cars to show. I never once was pulled over with my car and had open headers for a day when I drove it through Dyer street one day. I had to wear ear plugs to drive it to the magic muffler!

I miss El Paso and driving my old cars any time of the year. My buddy builds cars and parts in east El Paso and he actually has two of my cars until I can go pick them up. You might have even seen my Falcon on the drag strip if you ever went to Desert Demonz around 2005-2007, but I didn't buy the car until 2007.

Oh yeah, welcome to the site and great looking car!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks!!!! I had just moved back from Fl in late 06 and was not able to make it out to Desert Demonz. And Yes, the cops here are really cool. A bunch of them are friends of mine and even the ones that arent are still pretty cool too. The guys at Magic Muffler rock and I'll be taking mine there when the budget allows. Also, is the guy storing your cars by any chance Tomato? I know he's a big Ford fan too and a good friend of mine.

And yes, the weather rocks here year round!!!

A lot of the police in El Paso are car guys from what I have seen. Multiple car shows always had police bringing their cars to show. I never once was pulled over with my car and had open headers for a day when I drove it through Dyer street one day. I had to wear ear plugs to drive it to the magic muffler!

I miss El Paso and driving my old cars any time of the year. My buddy builds cars and parts in east El Paso and he actually has two of my cars until I can go pick them up. You might have even seen my Falcon on the drag strip if you ever went to Desert Demonz around 2005-2007, but I didn't buy the car until 2007.

Oh yeah, welcome to the site and great looking car!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yep, Tomato is the guy. His yard is like a daily car show. I always loved visiting because there was usually some thing new. He built the Falcon for dirt cheap and now I'm playing with it. I hope I can get back down there in a few years.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Hello and welcome Maxflo. Great to have you here. We love all styles of Gassers and all levels of the build. Many cannot do a full car at one time, so much like you, we do what we can as we can. A traditional build is fantastic, if period correct is what you like, and a mix of old and new is just as good. Your '55 will fall right in with what we love and build here. Lots of experience and lots of encouragement also. We are a good close knit Gasser family. Glad that you decided to join in and share your Gasser journey with us. Mark L

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, Tomato is the guy. His yard is like a daily car show. I always loved visiting because there was usually some thing new. He built the Falcon for dirt cheap and now I'm playing with it. I hope I can get back down there in a few years.
Ya man, always dig getting out there when i can. A 10 minute trip always turns into a 2 hour trip. ha! And he's like a taking hot rod encyclopedia, i pick his brain bout everything. Get back to town when you can!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Maxflo, good to have you here. Your car is awesome
Thanks Craig! You've got some killer pics posted of your project. I wish I had better documented mine as I've come along. Unfortunately the car was painted first about 8 years ago before I got the Gasser itch. Some old Chevy guys freak out about me turning into a gasser and others are saying "dang, i shouldve built mine into a gasser too!!" I'm loving this forum and getting even more excited about finishing my build. Going to be installing the tunnel ram soon and hopefully i'll remember to take pics and post them. Thanks again! MAX

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello and welcome Maxflo. Great to have you here. We love all styles of Gassers and all levels of the build. Many cannot do a full car at one time, so much like you, we do what we can as we can. A traditional build is fantastic, if period correct is what you like, and a mix of old and new is just as good. Your '55 will fall right in with what we love and build here. Lots of experience and lots of encouragement also. We are a good close knit Gasser family. Glad that you decided to join in and share your Gasser journey with us. Mark L
Thank you Mark!! Really diggin the vibe of this forum!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks Craig! You've got some killer pics posted of your project. I wish I had better documented mine as I've come along. Unfortunately the car was painted first about 8 years ago before I got the Gasser itch. Some old Chevy guys freak out about me turning into a gasser and others are saying "dang, i shouldve built mine into a gasser too!!" I'm loving this forum and getting even more excited about finishing my build. Going to be installing the tunnel ram soon and hopefully i'll remember to take pics and post them. Thanks again! MAX
YES! Tunnel ram!!
I already like the look you have already with the one velocity stack, sweet, simple, old school......well....I guess two might be better.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Some old Chevy guys freak out about me turning into a gasser and others are saying "dang, i shouldve built mine into a gasser too!!" MAX
Way more people seem to stick themselves and their cars into the "box". They just don't enjoy their cars enough to build something outside the box, or they're scared to build outside the box. Most gasser guys are pretty open to all sorts of changes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts