Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month or two ago I pre-ordered a book from Amazon, Match Race Mayhem, it was delivered this weekend. Lots of information, photos and some great stories. I had no idea how many of the gassers got into the match race side of the sport but it appears that was where the money was. I'm really enjoying reading it, it's definitely a history lesson. :cool:

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,534 Posts
Since I was a teenager when the big match races were being run for gassers, I found it the best racing around! All the big boys would challenge each other, and track promoters put up huge purses to the winners of these matches. They also gave money to the losers, so it was better than NHRA class racing where losers went home empty handed!
I remember things like Drag News where challenges were tossed out by a track, or individual, towards a particular driver/car, or particular area of racing. East Coast vs. West Coast was a big deal back then, and East Coast was considered Gasser Central, and most the big guys raced East of the Mississippi!
I also read a comment from Ohio George Montgomery back then saying he wouldn't come to California for a match race unless they guaranteed him $1,000 to show up! Seems small potatoes today, but that was a lot of money back then, and it took years before they coaxed him out West! He was THE GUY to beat back in the 50's and 60's!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speaking Of Ohio George.......

Vall, since you brought up Ohio George, and also a photo of life on the road for match racers. :cool:
As I said, this is a quite informative book.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,534 Posts
That's a great picture! Wonder how the rig ended up off the shoulder? Maybe a little tired, or a little distracted?
I always loved the pictures of the old days where you'd see a line of cars waiting to enter the drag strip, and see about half of them flat towed! Now days guys freak out if you flat tow a car into the drags! I flat tow the Falcon, and often get numerous comments and concerns from people when I pull into the drags. You'd think nobody ever did it before!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts