Gasser HotRod Forums banner
421 - 433 of 433 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #421 ·
thanks for those nice feedback guys. Steve I have not put on the stickers on the car cause I have not made my mind on the color. It is on gray primer at present. Got on my ride and drove to have the coupe inspected did not run into LE to and from. Ran into a lot of people giving me the thumbs up and others the mid finger LOL. Got to the station only to wait on the long line. Had some people come over checking the car out an asking lots of ??? with their mask on. After an two hours my turn good thing I had a bucket on hand. Title on hand, got insurance id card. Ready to go. State Inspection depending on the age of the car. seatbelts and anchorages only required if the vehicle was originally manufactured with them. Tail lamps shall be equipped with at least two tail lamps, unless vehicle was manufactured prior to 1960, in which case your vehicle is required to be equipped with one (1) tail lamp mounted on the rear. Had to explain that the car was not registered and does not have license plates. Shown them my restore plates and they ran the numbers and told me no one using those numbers. They also stated letters, numbers, or other identification marks that cause blurring or reflective matter are not plainly visible at all times during daylight, or an attached illuminated device or sticker, decal, emblem, or other insignia that is not authorized by law and that interferes with the readability of the letters or numbers on the plate or the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered. Would mean that subjectively or in the eyes of the LE person, all illuminated license plate frames - especially the neon ones, are NOT LEGAL. OK does my car pass inspection ?????? YESSSSSS IT DOES. GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. Late in the afternoon will take paperwork to DVM on Monday.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Those look slamin!! Picasso ain’t got nutten on you! Love it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #423 ·
Thanks Mario !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After 2 hrs waiting to line just to get it registered is not right. I'm addicted...to this 37 coupe. IT’S NOW REGISTERED IN TEXAS, state inspected, turn signals, horn, mufflers and tune twice. It is tumultuous with a full exhaust and raucous loud with open 3 collectors. I don't consider the 37 a gasser but a working project with a 8 point cage, corvette seats, manual steering, no heater, no radio, manual reverse valve body and with it's tunnel rammed twin carb all aftermarket full roller sbc 400 engine. It is horrible or poor on gas mileage. I will jump in drive to the doctor’s and veterans appointments without hesitation. LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Yes indeed Rik! Let the fun, and the thumbs up begin! I'm sure it will turn a lot of heads going down the road now!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Congrats Rik. You’re on the road. Happy for you.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #426 ·
I am looking at a headliner installation. I have the door and kick panels cut. My ?? is, what's the best way to secure the head liner. I have several ideas in my head, but would like to get some input.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I am looking at a headliner installation. I have the door and kick panels cut. My ?? is, what's the best way to secure the head liner. I have several ideas in my head, but would like to get some input.
If I was doing mine again I would use the homedepot waterproof vinyl sheet and cut it to the roof size I need. Then I would glue the material leaving extra all around to wrap all the sides and glue. I would use the screws I bought from Amazon with the black push on covers and screw the vinyl somehow to the roof. I had wood to screw into. Not sure what you have up in your roof Rik.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Man, I feel your pain on registering an old car. Here in Missouri it was/is damn near impossible to get just a title. They wanted to inspect the car first and I told them it was not even running, then they wanted to charge me an extra 200 since I had not changed titles immediately when I bought the car in Minnesota. so I said screw all this and titled and registered it in Minnesota. No inspections and the guy knew I had the car in Missouri. I told him it would be spending winters in storage at my daughters place. wink wink.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Rik, Do you have the original bows? The late 30's Chevys used wire bows for the front two positions, and the back two were stamped steel shaped bows with a sort of T shape to make them rigid. Without the bows it's going to be very difficult to end up with a smooth headliner with the contours these cars have.
I did my upholstery, but did not sew up my headliner, as it is too complicated without a pattern. I bought my headliner from OK Headliners in Oklahoma City, and it's a solid black naugahyde that was pretty heavy material for $165. The installation was further complicated on my car by not having the hardware on the roof that attaches the edge of the headliner around the back window, and around the door openings. I had to make those pieces, and couldn't find anyone who had images of what they should look like; so I just winged it.
Mine ended up looking mostly great, but some slight ripples in those rounded back corners on the coupe's inner roof areas.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #430 ·
I had heard a story about a 37 body within my area sitting in the field close to the border fence. I understood that most of everything had already being taken. Will take the 37 out to see if I can find it and see what is left if anything. hope it has those bows and that it is a chevy. gotta watch my speed lots of LE in the area. will give updates

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I had heard a story about a 37 body within my area sitting in the field close to the border fence. I understood that most of everything had already being taken. Will take the 37 out to see if I can find it and see what is left if anything. hope it has those bows and that it is a chevy. gotta watch my speed lots of LE in the area. will give updates
If you can't locate the bows let me know. I can give Joe at Old Car Parts here a call and see if he may have them? The front round wire bows could be easily made from hard rod, it's the rear two that are stamped steel that will be the issue. It's possible the rear two on a sedan might be the same as the rear two on a coupe. I can ask Joe about that also, as he'd know for sure.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
Took the car out for a drive close to the fence. Stop at a local store to get some ice n drinks for the hot day. Asked about the ghost car. The person stated there was one up the road but believes it sold some time ago. Drove around without finding anything. Dave hang in there one step at a time. Good luck I love your car. NICEEEE. Vall I need your help for those bows.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I'll give Joe a call and see what he says about sedan vs. coupe, and if he has bows. Then get back to you soon Rik!

421 - 433 of 433 Posts