Gasser HotRod Forums banner

401 - 420 of 425 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
have not post for a while just an update......….Texas allows the use of original license plates issued for the year of manufacture of the car, there is provision within the law to register those plates to the car. Texas also uses under their antique vehicle licensing regulations, so if you wish to use "vintage" plates. All the DMV research and paperwork is the hardest part of restoring plates. Now finding the plates themselves, you can pick up a set at a local car show, flea market, ebay or craiglist. In my opinion plates can get pricey. In the worst case plates will be bent, rusted and barely usable. Restoring them is could be relatively easy or not. Dammmm I forgot how to upload pictures will have to figure time for a smoke later

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Oregon allows the same thing Rik. And they have to inspect the plates first, and then run them to ensure they're not actively assigned to another vehicle. This can happen if you bought a single plate, and someone else had the mate. Oregon also requires two plates for regular vehicles, but only one for special interest or antique.
My Austin's plate came off Ebay for $12 and was a little rumpled, but solid. I spent a few hours with hardwood dowel tapping the numbers out, and then flipped it over to tap the background out. Then repainted it to 1937 black with white letters colors.
My others all have year correct plates that didn't need restoration.
I have a good friend who collects and sells plates, and has them priced reasonably as compared to most sellers. So I have gotten a number of sets from him.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #403
Texas requires two plates as well. I found the plates on ebay but before placing a bid. I call dmv with the numbers and got told those numbers were free. got those plates but lost the pic but I do have the pic on ebay. won the bit

·
Registered
7,295 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #405
The plates were cleaned, stripped of old paint and rust. Paint stripper will work and that's what I did. Sand blasting will work but license plates were only designed to last a year. It's easy to blast and go through the metal if not careful. After the plates were stripped I straighten out the bend and remove the crease. I use a set of pliers to tidy-up the edges of the plate. I also used a small hammer with a flat piece of metal underneath, tapping, with patience repairing the crease and small imperfections the rest will be smoothed out with body filler. Plates are thin metal and it is bare. The first thing I did was to apply a good etching primer to protect the metal and provide a good bonding surface. You can see imperfections that you might otherwise not have noticed.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Yup they look great. Are they black and yellow, at least that’s what it looked like. I’m curious why the extra holes? I just looked at your etch prime pics and they look beautiful.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Yup they look great. Are they black and yellow, at least that’s what it looked like. I’m curious why the extra holes? I just looked at your etch prime pics and they look beautiful.
Not sure why Texas had multiple holes, but other pre WWII Tx. plates had the same. So they are original holes.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #409
Thank you for those kind words guys. Refinishing my plates I made some judgement calls. Question should the plate be refinish in exactly the same colors, materials and degree of gloss? My plates were black with ivory white lettering in low-gloss lacquer. The array of colors other states used in their plates is endless from oranges, blues, greens, purples and others. When I got the plates they did looked yellow. I made some calls to dmv they stated the color was ivory white. Mario as far as my research those many holes are original.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
My DMV person told me they're not that critical about matching colors exactly. I asked what "exactly" meant, and was told if somebody painted the letter white, and not the exact ivory they'd still approve them. Just not a different color. I sprayed the background gloss black rattle can, and then bought a small can of Rustoleum ivory paint, and the smallest roller I could find to roll the digits with. Just did multiple light coats to avoid runs onto the black.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #411
I don't know how they did it back in the day? My guess the plate were shot in it's base color and allowed to dry. Then set face down on a cloth soaked in paint, only the raised letters would get paint. Maybe the plates were inked with paint on a roller similar to a printing press. The roller transferred enough paint to the raised numbers and letters. Using this method on dummy plates I did tried to re-creating this system with wallpaper rollers to no success it was messy and not workable. Next I will try an artist brush it will be time-consuming and require patience, but then again how many license plates do I plan to do? Dos …………front and back. I will try a small high quality artist brush with soft and uniform bristles. Mix my paint with just enough thinner so that the paint won't harden or skim over. Wet the brush with as much paint as possible without dripping applied the paint. Moved the license plate around to keep the direction even. Paint the perimeter of the number then filled in the center area. This technique assured that the paint would flow enough to form a smooth, even surface. I found that I do not have a steady hand to produce a perfect line, so the edges do will look bit wavy. From a few feet away the plates look as the originals did. Now time to paint the 37 plates

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
I went to a craft store (Michael's) and bought small foam rollers in 2" width. They are disposable, and cheap, so when you're done just toss them. They're only maybe 1" diameter, and the narrow width makes it easier to keep paint just on the numbers. The key was multiple light coats, vs. trying to get enough paint on the roller to do it in one pass. The perimeter was a little trickier with the thin rib, but still worked out well. I had some areas I still touched up with a small paint brush when I was done with the roller.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Can't wait to see them with the white (oh Jesus Christ did I just make a racist remark LMAO) painted numbers and letters Rik.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
they look great. 10 coats of clear next??? :) Are the letters white or yellow?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #416
The letters are ivory white camera makes them appear a shade of jellow must be the angle....…..... NEXT??? get some car insurance. Go to my local DMV get them license plates inspected run the numbers in the system to see if the numbers are still clear no one else is using them. Get the coupe inspected go back with inspection paper, including proof of insurance N get it REGISTER. YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS...…......…..............................…...….....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Those look great Rik. Can't wait to see a photo of them on the car. Hey, speaking of photos have you put the Gasser/Hot Rod stickers on it yet?

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Wow those look great....hope the inspection goes well...I hate government bullshit.......

401 - 420 of 425 Posts