Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 425 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m new to this thread thing and will make mistakes. I’m into cars with fat tires, loud engines and a high stance. I have a limited budget and can’t afford a high-buck build but I feel I can come up with whatever I need within reason. This project will not be “period correct” and some may disagree but that doesn’t matter. I have a very clear goal. As with any project to success you must have a plan, talent and a good friend’s help better welder than I. I always wanted some old school mix with some new stuff different from others gassers. The foregoing owner informed that the car was from Missouri, he had it in body shop for a cheap paint job to protect the body. He had installed a Pinto/Mustang II front cross member with front suspension, 9” Lincoln Versailles rear end with disc brakes and springs. He was not able to complete the project. The journey starts by undoing what the previous owner had done.

01a1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Thanks for starting your build thread. I think you will find that the majority of us love the old school gassers. However, we like you, cannot afford to build them to be exact replica's of the originals. So we modify and change to suit our needs and budget. We look forward to your build. It looks to be body wise complete, so "Bring it on"!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Going by your description, this forum is the perfect place for your proyect! I like it already,looking forward to your build. Let me pull up my favorite chair and beverage!!! BTW...Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Period correct??? What's that. I love the correct and restored old school Gassers. But I really love the home grown and do what ya gotta do with what you've been given Gassers. It's just fun to see what everyone comes up with to solve a problem. This site is all about Gassers, retro, correct, or home grown. No judging, just good old fashioned respect and got your back. Your '37 is starting out with a car that was widely used and raced back in the day. So you are already close to period correct. Just remember that we are here to cheer you on and not judge. Like the old saying goes--"We're not saving lives here, just having a crap load of fun".
Glad you joined in and looking forward to watching your build. (By the way---lovvveee the '37).

Markus O'Gotyourbackitus

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
By the way--you want different---???

Try a full sized Pontiac Catalina Gasser, one of none. '57 Chevy truck front axle, 1960 Pontiac 389 block punched to 406, big flowing aluminum heads (318 cfm @ .600), nice turbo spec cam, 4 bolt spayed caps with forged crank and GRP aluminum rods, rotating Ross turbo pistons. GM spec Ford Toploader "3" speed, twin turbo'd and intercooled blowing thru twin 750 blow thru carbs, on a tunnel ram, using a Shot Gun twin inlet scoop for a carb hat. Engine/trans set back 11 inches into a recessed firewall. OK enough for now.

Mark L

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
As I got into this thread, I thought no one would want to read this thread of building a gasser. I realize a that a THANK-YOU is due for those kind words fellow gassers you all have the most BEAUTIFUL GASSER THEME cars that I have ever seen. I admire your creations CONGRATULATIONS. I have looked at most of your builds and have learned so much from the forum members. This is great site with knowledgeable members and looking forward to sharing. I wished that the previous owner had not painted the car and I would have stayed with that patina effect on my ubiquitous high stance 37 chevy coupe. OH WELL!!!!

I made this block thing to support the body while I it allow me to remove the body from the frame by myself. Unbolt body from frame, jack it up, lower frame, pull frame out.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
In your reworking is there any plan to lower the frame mounting point on the panhard bar? Looks a little downhill, and might kick the rear to the side when you hit a bump.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Howdy 1946Austin, you have a good eye and thank-you for your comment. This was the only picture I had before plans on the rear end were change. I’m going after the pro street look in the back where the tires will not stick out of the fenders. The back will be mimi tub and narrow. The 4 link will not change but a new plan includes keeping the rear end correctly positioned when fitting the large tire/wheel within limited space. Anti-roll bars will be added to my chassis-mounted and the panhard rod was tossed out and will be replaced with a wishbone due to insufficient clearance for a track locater.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Looking very good! Sounds like you have solid plans for a super build. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Looks great. Good job on the fab work. Looks like your rear roll pan had the same fate as mine. I never realized there was a second layer underneath the first until I cut the top layer off. Most of the second layer was eaten up by the rust also.

1 - 20 of 425 Posts