Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this website today, I have a 56 chevy 210 gassser that is my pride and joy. Im currently in the middle of a 4 speed swap after a minor mishap at the dragstrip. I look foward to getting good info off this site.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Nice 5-6 there. What was the slight mishap?? Autos are great and they have come so far but a good manual is just plain more fun. My car would do much better with an auto but I'm going with a manual. Great to have you join the site and lettig us see the '56. Gotta give some more details on it and any times etc that you may have. I see you've done the sliding windows too. How is that in daily life? Do you regret the modification or do they not interfer at all? Nice having you here. Mark L

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I love the sliders....of course im a tlb fan so i had to have them slide rhe only down side is summer driving. It can get warm in the car. Ive got a m22 in a autogear case. I went full hydraulic. I fabbed my own master cylinder setup. She will go on the maiden voyage tomorrow. I used Mcloud RST clutch and throw out bearing. I assembled the BBC a few months back. Pump gas 468 edelbrock heads lunati solid roller. I love my 6109 holleys sitting on top.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I'll be interested in how well the McLoud set up works and lasts. I'm going to be needing a clutch for my car in the future and I have no idea what to use. I saw your video too, what a way to get publicity, LOL. Lots of OOOOs from the crowd when it went. MArk L

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I love the sliders....of course im a tlb fan so i had to have them slide rhe only down side is summer driving ....
Welcome. I'm a BIG Two Lane Blacktop fan as well.

My brother has "back stage passes" to the Beach Boys concert on Friday. I gave him a piece of stainless that I engine turned and he is going to try to get it signed by them.

I also love the sliders. How did you fab them?

Welcome to the forum!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be interested in how well the McLoud set up works and lasts. I'm going to be needing a clutch for my car in the future and I have no idea what to use. I saw your video too, what a way to get publicity, LOL. Lots of OOOOs from the crowd when it went. MArk L
Well i can tell you im not all to pleased with mcleod right now. That high dollar hydraulic throw out bearing is not holding pressure. After three hours of bleeding and three phone calls to their tech dept it turns out they forgot to install a .40 cent washer in the bleeder line. Im now waiting for them to send me one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome. I'm a BIG Two Lane Blacktop fan as well.

My brother has "back stage passes" to the Beach Boys concert on Friday. I gave him a piece of stainless that I engine turned and he is going to try to get it signed by them.

I also love the sliders. How did you fab them?

Welcome to the forum!!!!!
Steel channel welded to the top and bottom of the window channel. I then lined it with felt. I bought the lexan from a stain glass shop here in raleigh. It was super simple. I drilled a small hole in the lexan and went to lowes bought two cabinet drawer knobs locktight the screws .

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Thanks for the update on the hydraulic bearing. I'm figuring on using one too and curious how respnsive it is for fast shifting. I've heard both good and bad and will be interested in your opinion. Will you or do you power shift your 4 speed or just do a quick shift? Mark L

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Mark, you're going to need a twin disc clutch with 2k HP. Only way to handle that much power.

56Chev. Do both pieces slide? That would be the most versatile, I would think. I can imagine on a driver it would make for interesting cold morning runs. Bring blankets. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mark, you're going to need a twin disc clutch with 2k HP. Only way to handle that much power.

56Chev. Do both pieces slide? That would be the most versatile, I would think. I can imagine on a driver it would make for interesting cold morning runs. Bring blankets. :D
Yes both slide. When i use to smoke it came in handy to be able to slide both. I also found at 120mph the will not stay shut.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I plan on power shifting.....Ive got a Mr.Gasket V-Gate installed. I hope to be able to give you the skinny on the throwout bearing in a week or so. Still waiting for that .40 cent washer :(

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Steel channel welded to the top and bottom of the window channel. I then lined it with felt. I bought the lexan from a stain glass shop here in raleigh. It was super simple. I drilled a small hole in the lexan and went to lowes bought two cabinet drawer knobs locktight the screws .
Thanks for the info.... I have heard others say they used rear windows & tracts from pickup trucks.

I have to move the firewall back to get more space between the sides firewall & the rear of the headers. By doing that I will have a clearance issue with the window crank on the door panel so I was thinking about the Two Lane Blacktop approach.

BTW.... My brother said the Beach Boys did NOT sign any autographs.

Only way to get one was to purchase a program that was signed (ahead of time) by all of the Beach Boys..... PRICE was $100 ..... Ouch!!!!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Cool looking car. I have had manuals in all of my classics except my Falcon. It is war more fun and I bet rowing the gears behind a big block is a great feeling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts