Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always loved gassers. Working a trade for a 39 Ford pickup
that I plan on leaving the flat head in but making it gasser styled.

Don

·
Registered
510 Posts
Welcome Don, flatheads are cool looking motors, a little low on horsepower but nice looking with injectors or a blower.
Let us know how the trade goes, and let us see your project.
Andy

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Welcome to the forum Don. Another NorWester huh? LOL. A '39 Ford pickup would make a great gasser and that flat head would really set it off. Hope the trade goes well for you. Lookng forward to seeing what you come up with if it all works out. Glad you could join up and in. Mark L

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To answer a question or two I'm trading a 64 Fairlane hardtop for it. He's probably getting a better deal than I but I have been jonesing for something pre-war and I had an oval grill Ford in high school (middle 70s).

The flatty runs real good, new clutch, new brakes with 40 drums for the small bolt circle, and it will have new glass in the cab. He will make it drivable as his part of the deal: set up the new brakes, hoses and coolant, plumb the hard line from the new fuel tank and enough wiring to make it start and drive.

My part this spring will putting all of the bolts it the front clip and setting gaps. Bolting on the rear fenders til I can find better steel ones, Speedway has glass fenders for $200.00 a side. Been following the "Moonlighter" resto over on HAMB and not much of that car is steel. The nose, doors, and rear fenders are glass with the floor, firewall, and interior panels being Aluminum. I get to do the proper wiring and change it over to 12v at that time. Oh and a seat.

So the plan is to have it a traditional rod running gear wise and Gasser above the frame rails. First it's getting some shorty headers and 2.5" to just in front of the rear tires with flapper valves to keep cold air from rushing in. Find some aluminum heads and a multiple carb set up so it will look tougher that it is. Replace the removable floor boards with Aluminum, same with the door panels.

Research tells me the 40 bolt circle is 5 on 5.5 so I already have FoMoCo steelies 10x15 and 5x15 in 5 on 5.5 and two new DOT ET Streets 30"x12.5"x15" waiting in the shop.

Wish me good fortune the deal goes through!

Don

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
That looks like a pretty clean '39 Ford! My brother in law had a '39 back when I first started driving and I always liked the '39 grille!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Don I thought the '39 looked like th e'40. I was way off. I like the difference. It makes it much more unique. It's going to look great. Mark L

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see there are a lot of Northwesters on here. I'm planning to make Billetproof this year in my daily driver a 64 Fairlane 4dr white with daisy wheels. http://www.billetproof.com/upcomingshows/washington/

I'm new back to cars, did Harley's for a long time and Jeeps the last 12 years. For health reasons I couldn't ride anymore so I traded the Harley for the hard top Fairlane but really wanted a pre-war gasser. Great site, not crazy busy like some.

Don

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Billetproof is great! Eruption drags in August at Toutle, Wa. id even better! Both are can't miss events for old schoolers and their old cars!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Welcome aboard. How is the trade working out so far? When do they start the cruise at Walmart in Covington? I am just south of you in Bonney Lake. Used to live in covington for quite a few years. Hardly recognize the place. Have to agree billetproof is a blast. This will be the first year I will miss it. Transferring to a ship in June and getting U/W until August.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts