Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to owning a gasser! I have a 1966 Mustang Fastback GT K Code gasser and when I found out that it was a one owner and all the items were built by the owner himself, I was amazed at how original it has remained! There are items on it that are not allowed to run these days Its like looking back to 1966 all over again!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Welcome to the forum; we're always happy to welcome new members. Love to see more photos of the car, engine and chassis especially the one off parts built by the owner. First look with the injection stacks really got my attention. With them being on the shorter side is this a stick shift car? You don't see to many early Mustang fastbacks built as a gasser so this is a unique car.

·
Administrator
13,662 Posts
Pretty cool that it's been owned and built by one guy, and no previous owners. Not sure there's anyplace that would have a special area for one owner gassers, although almost everyone appreciates this type of provenance, and whatever supporting documentation comes with such a car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi guys, thanks for the kind words!
To be honest, I thought I was going to buy a prostreet. When I saw the straight axel I was even happier. I couldn't believe it was a real untouched gasser. Then he tells me he bought this GT brand new and did most of the mods himself!
When I heard that I realized I'm buying one man's racing life I asked him to sign the dash. Big smile on his face and he asked why? I said "frank, when this car comes back out into the sun people are going to have questions and I'm going to need to tell them who to credit or who to blame!" Haha. He laughed and understood what I meant. Super nice Original guy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Bumper Vehicle door

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tire

Tin Automotive tire Gas Paint Auto part

Motor vehicle Gas Rectangle Electrical wiring Auto part

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

So here's a few more pics. Yes it is a factory K code 289 4 spd. As you can see the cooling system with what looks like a 1942 bomber plane dash fan that he spliced the wires and added it to the car. Built before local speed shops were around. Look at the age of the cans used to cover the stacks haha. One says "new aluminum can". Last pic is how it looked with the original nightmist metallic paint with white GT stripes and with the original decals and Iron-Ruler name in the front fenders!
Class winner pic with two trophies for the day!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
View attachment 108306
View attachment 108305
View attachment 108303

View attachment 108302
View attachment 108301
View attachment 108300

So here's a few more pics. Yes it is a factory K code 289 4 spd. As you can see the cooling system with what looks like a 1942 bomber plane dash fan that he spliced the wires and added it to the car. Built before local speed shops were around. Look at the age of the cans used to cover the stacks haha. One says "new aluminum can". Last pic is how it looked with the original nightmist metallic paint with white GT stripes and with the original decals and Iron-Ruler name in the front fenders!
Class winner pic with two trophies for the day!
I absolutely love this car!! The old dash mount fan mounted in front of the radiator is the jewel in the crown. Having a manual transmission behind a magneto sparked motor is so much easier than with an automatic if driving on the street (I know) because of the mag not having spark retard. Thanks for the photos and when can we expect a video?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Steve!
I agree with your statement on the fan, it blew my mind when I saw it haha. I was told even the spark plug wires are real vintage pieces as well.
A good friend of mine Scott Jezak who used to run the Hot Rods from Hell tour up and down the east coast a long time ago stopped by to look her over. He told me the plug wires are Rajah wires, they look like new but I'm guessing 40 years old now. He said those wires will kill you if you put your fingers too close haha.
I've owned this ride for almost 5 years now but I had to put my car stuff on hold so I could take care of my parents who both ended up on hospice care at the same time. Unfortunately I lost my dad in 2019 and my mom the following year. Things have been tough for me the last few years but I'll tell you right now, the car hobby helped me get through some pretty bad times.
So now I'm trying to pick up the pieces and get back to the things I love to do. Play with muscle cars. I'm glad the GT is getting some appreciation because I always felt this is a special car!
I only have one short video of my friend Scott behind the wheel getting it fired up after sitting 4 years. It has real chromed zommie headers that point straight down so a lot louder than my video shows haha.
I'll try to load it.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
I just tried its 48 seconds and the system said it's too large to load. I guess I can try to cut it down but I'm not sure it will work. I'll give it a shot later to see. :)
Really cool gasser. Do you have a YouTube account? Post it there and link it here.
welcome to the site.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Mario, you Italian Stallion , you beat me to it. I was also going to suggest he establish a youtube channel and could post most any length video. I guess great gasser minds think alike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I just made a Instagram account so I can post links. Here is a link of getting my 66 Mustang Fastback GT K code Gasser fired up after sitting for a bit. It's normally a two person startup with one person feeding the hilborn injection stacks with fuel while the person inside handles the ignition. It was just my friend and I and someone needed to hold the camera haha. So it's a little rough doing it this way but we got it going for this short video.

Gasser Video

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Thanks for posting. Can't wait for another one where we can really see and hear it run for a bit longer. Maybe even a trip up and down the street.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree. It may take a bit since I have to recruit some help to get it going. Also the front tires are rotted pretty bad so I'm iffy on taking it on the street the way it is. But I may be able to get it going in my garage driveway. Being that it has a 1938 willys solid front axle I'm not sure if any rim will fit. I'll have to take a better look at the rims. I wanna say I noticed something different about them. More to come!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys. I've decided to part with the 66 Fastback GT K code gasser. I've had it for the last 5 years and still haven't found the time to take it out and have fun. (Until recently getting her fired up!) I have too much work in front of me fixing my parents home so I'm going to see if someone else wants to take over and have a one of a kind day one gasser built in 66. It's really a time capsule that should be displayed so people can see exactly what an Original gasser is all about!
I can provide many details of it's one owner history to those interested in it.
I'm taking offers on it first since I will probably list it on ebay but I'm not really big on using them.
Thanks to everyone!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow did I mess this up. Apparently I inadvertently signed up with an alternate email that I rarely use! I am the kingjinx username that started this link with my GT but somehow I logged on with this alternate by mistake.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Good luck with the sale. Since you were able to start it that's a big bonus in selling; any idea how much you're going to ask?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts