Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to try the HF bead roller for some panels that I am working on. Put a piece of scrap sheet metal from my '55 thru it and it did nothing. The arms just bent relieving the pressure on the dies. Granted that the '55's metal is a lot thicker than current cars.

After researching I found several mods that were done to strengthen the tool and keep it from flexing. I decided on using 2" angle iron. It made a huge difference. I also added a 10x2" piece under the existing arm to allow it to still clamp into a vise until I get around to welding up a stand.

I also added a wheel to the crank to make turning it much smoother. I would like to add an extrication motor sometime but this is quality father/daughter bonding time.

While modifying, I decided to add a crank to the pressure bolt on the top and a handle on the upper die piece so it can easily be loosened for adjustment.

I will update the thread with better photos when I get back home.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Is that an old steering wheel Mike? Maybe put a spinner on it too, so you can really crank the material through! I've contemplated buying one also. Just got a 25% off coupon, and wanted to get something that will give me a good return on the coupon!

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Hi Guys, I bought one years ago just for the dies and it did the same. It deflect left to right easily, so o used 3/16 wall tubing and finished it off with some grey hammer tone. Now the dies never panned out for what I wanted, so a friend from Canada needed one so there it lives. :) he used it and it works for him well

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it is a steering wheel. An old one that I got with a Model T dune buggy. There are new dies out there on the market that are different patterns.

Here are the photos.

I painted it silver first:

Then used the Metalcast paint. It's kind of like candy paint, and then cleared it.

I welded the wheel on the crank handle but left the crank handle as well. I can use either.

I need to build a stand for it, but at least I can use it in the vise until then. I will post a pick of the demo panel.

Mike

·
Registered
922 Posts
Is that still a metric bolt you welded the crank on to push the top die down? The threads on mine galled up and I had to weld a nut on top of the tab. I went with 1/2-13 for the new one. Looks nice and I'm sure it works nice now.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, still a sloppy metric. I will probably replace it with a SAE nut/bolt when it brakes. I did use anti-seize on it so it would last longer.

Hope to roll a panel tomorrow.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts