Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys

I recently bought back my genuine '57 Chevy 2dr post Gasser from a good friend that bought it from me over 20 years ago

I bought the car from one of two brothers that raced it in '65 - '66 as a D/G car - they ran a 301 with a 4spd & a 31 spline Olds 4.11 posi, until a missed shift resulted in a scattered engine in '66 (a box in the trunk had seven rods & Jahns pistons - the remainder of the engine when I bought it).

The car came with all of its original stainless and both bumpers, all boxed up. It hadn't been moved since '66 - a real find!

I removed the ball joint spacers, rebuilt the front end, put the bumpers back on, put a BBC / 4spd in it and had a blast.

At the time, my family was very young - with four sons under the age of 7 I finally gave into my buddy's request to sell the car to him (I was broke!) - the only caveat was that when he decided to sell it, I got first shot.

Two months ago I got a call - "Do you want to buy the '57?" I raced over to his place to seal the deal. He wants to buy a '40-'41 Willys - know where one is?

Everything comes full circle - I'm undoing the things that I did back then, and am returning the car to the race state it was in when I purchased it. I also am correcting the few changes that my buddy did - he put a blown SBC in it, and replaced the '64 Impala buckets with Dodge Neon buckets (WTF?)

I completed the installation of disc brakes on the front - next comes the Genuine Suspension ball joint spacers, HD station wagon springs & spring stools. Luckily, he kept the Olds/Poncho rear - in fact, he had it rebuilt.

I happen to have a fresh LS-7 454, and that will go back in with a M-22 behind it. The front bumper is already off, and I am keeping the '65 House of Color blue metallic paint job, even though the paint has chipped off in places.

It's great to be back - now Dad can be the kid again!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Now that is destined to be a classic intro! Welcome, Wildman. You are lucky to have such a good friend to sell you back your car. Keep the photos and stories coming. You can school us on the old school.

Glad that you are here.

Mike

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
What a great story. I wished I could find a couple of the cars I had years ago. I like that you are returning the body to the old set up. It's interesting to see the things they did back then to accomplish their goals. I was 16 in '68 so I saw a lot of the old stuff but even by then high tech was filtering in. The Super Stocks that became Pro Stock is an example around '69 and '70. The cars were still very attainable and recognizable then. You and your '57 will be a great addition to our little corner of the world. Start a build thread so we can watch your progress and live it along with you. So glad that you joined us here. A big welcome to you. Mark L

·
Registered
107 Posts
hi ya and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Guys, haven't had a chance to update the status of my '57 - I've been too busy wrenching!

Thought I would take some time this evening to give a status update. I have made a lot of progress, in fact I'm planning on sticking the big block in next weekend!

Here is a list of what has been accomplished so far:

• removed SBC & Turbo 400 auto
  • removed front bumper & brackets
  • disc brake conversion, front end
  • ball joint spacers
  • front coil spring stools (spacers & stools will raise front end 3-4 inches)
  • lower rear spring bolts to lower shackle holes, raising the rear end 4 inches
  • new master cylinder & brake lines
  • inner fenders removed (who needs 'em!!!)
  • cleaned up firewall
  • patched vent holes in firewall
  • painted firewall

I took a few pics of the front end as of today:

Painted up a spare 427 I pulled out of another car & have been saving for a rainy day. Even though it ran like a SOB when I pulled it, I'll put in a fresh cam & lifter set, a new timing chain set & a fresh set of heads later this week.

Still need to find a good Muncie 4 speed (hopefully a M22) before I'll be ready for the road - hopefully by the end of the month (yes, this month!)

Stay tuned for more updates soon!

:gba::flag6:

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Must be quite a rush to have that '57 back in your garage again. Like has already been said "the story alone is a keeper"!!!!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Coming along great. I'm jealose. I've been working on mine "FOREVER" and I'm not even close to driving it. Always loved '57's with the front bumper etc removed. MArk L

1 - 11 of 11 Posts