Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Here is my build

10K views 62 replies 9 participants last post by  1937Austin 
#1 ·
Here is a link to the photo album of what I am working on. It is a 47 Studebaker truck. It will have a 6 inch rod 350 , manual shift turbo 400 , 10 inch 4000 stall converter , Moser 60 with a 4:10 and a spool. https://goo.gl/photos/jtzZLo1vGqsGYxLz5

#3 ·
That is what I am doing, I have shifted the body around till I think I have it just right. I have channeled it and am building the floor system to put the rake in the body and for the most part will not have to alter the suspension. But I am moving the rear springs inside the frame rails and will be putting Chrysler Super Stock springs on the rear. I have some nice step side bed sides and will be building the bed. I will probably slid the rear end ahead 6 to 12 inches depending on how it looks with the bedsides on it. And probably will build some trailer fenders for the rear.

#6 ·
Great looking body! If I remember correctly, the only difference in the 1/2 ton cab and yours was the front fenders? I believe cab and hood are the same as a 1/2 ton? Shorty PU's make pretty cool looking gasser trucks! I like them when they're bobbed off behind the fenders, and use trailer fenders instead of factory fenders. As long as the axle doesn't crowd the cab too much it looks great. Like this Willys:

#8 ·
That is kinda where I am going ? no ladder bars though as I will be running leaf springs and driving it on the street. I am building it from parts I have accumulated over the years. The initial run will in the rough as far as the body. The emphasis will be on safety and the main structure of the cab. As you can see in the photos there is no floor left so I am building the frame work for that first. I have a pretty good start on it. I have rotors for the front spindles but will have to fab up some caliper mounts. The rear axle and brakes are modern so that should cover that. I want the headers dumping behind the front wheels in the wheel opening , so I will have to build those. But I have 2 sets of new fenderwell headers and 2 boxes full of vintage Hedman headers mandrel bends. There is no time frame I just live a day at the time. Plus I buy and sell old car parts and that is always cutting into my time. My build photos https://goo.gl/photos/jtzZLo1vGqsGYxLz5

#9 ·
If you need some caliper brackets, the Chevy 70's or 80's disc brake calipers work very well for most swaps. Depending on whether you got 70's std. or 80's metric, Speedway sells brackets that I've use numerous times for disc brake swaps. They are for 3" axle weld on, but I cut them to fit the spindles, and then drill them to bolt on. $10 ea., so easier than making them too!
I trace them on cardboard, and then cut the cardboard to fit the spindle. Then transfer that back to the bracket to trace where to remove metal. Once bolted on with two bolts, I cut steel and weld it on to get the 3rd bolt hole. These are the brackets:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Weld-On-1969-77-GM-Flat-Mount-Caliper-Bracket,3348.html

#11 ·
I absolutely LOVE the look of that cab and the front grille, the whole package is very cool!

Sure would be great to have you posting pictures here as you go. Looking forward to watching you build this, it is a very ambitious project for sure.

#12 ·
I am going post as I go, but I have included the link to some of my photos ( I assume it is working ) my pictures were to big to post here so I have set my camera on a smaller setting and I have not tried it since. With Mario' advice I have resolved that issue. Here is a motor I helped my son set in a 82 Dodge 250 yesterday. We are always in the shop !

Attachments

#13 ·
Great!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tom

#15 ·
It has been snowing here in NC today, so it was a nice day to be in the shop. I have been working on building a floor and having the cab securely mounted. The factory only had 2 bolts in the front and 1 in the center rear , so improving on that has been easy. Right now everything is just tacked in place. I have some seat brackets bent up and that is the next step to get those mounted.

Attachments

#18 ·
Got back at it after lunch, worked on the seat brackets and mounted a set on one seat. I tried the brackets both ways and am undecided as to which way looks best. The flat edge to the outside or turned the other way and have it under the seat. The brackets will bolt to some square tubing also

Attachments

#19 ·
When I saw the first image with closed edge out I said, "That's the one I like!"
Then I saw it with the open edge out, and I liked it better. Only thing I'd add is nice rounded corners on the risers.
I guess my decision would be based on whether I planned to use the area under the seats for any storage, a radio, or??? If no plans for storage space, then I'd leave the open edge out.

#26 ·
After an extended break I am back on my truck build. I have recessed the firewall using a wheelbarrow tub. I have the motor and trans sitting about where i want them . I went by a friends shop today and found a transmission cross member and cut it down to size. All in All a productive day.

Attachments

#27 ·
I just heard about the wheel barrow tub/firewall idea a couple of months ago, its so perfect for that! now I find its common knowledge to lots of old school builder car guys.

I like productive days! I've had a few of them myself lately,,Keep em going!!

#28 ·
I spent the morning on the truck and got the firewall mod. completed. Sorting through some headers to see which ones I will cut up. And seeing what will be needed to move the steering shaft. I am waiting on a pair of motor mounts with a different offset than those in the photos. Then I can get stuff bolted down .

Attachments

#29 ·
The wheelbarrow firewall thing is great for most small block V* engines. But usually wont have enough width to use with a big block engine setup, regardless of maker. When I did my Austin with a SBC I went to the hardware store to measure wheelbarrows, and compared it to my firewall. It wasn't much smaller than my firewall, and I decided I'd be better off cutting my whole firewall out and simply making it flat with a small recess for distributor maintenance and clearance.

#30 ·
Sounds like youre having fun. Great construction ideas.

#31 ·
Thank's Mario,
I enjoy the process. This is a little different for me than prior builds. This is a use what you have build. So far the only thing purchased has been the tubing. The truck was even free. Everything else I either already have or friends have donated to the cause. I came home the other day and these 15 x 10 Rallye wheels were sitting on the porch. A friend asked me what I was going to use for a motor and he said " well I have a angle plug mud pit motor your welcome to borrow " So we will see where it goes from here.

Attachments

#32 ·
Pretty cool. Hotrodders are a rare breed. That's how I did my MG. everything was used and hand eye down except the radiator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.