Gasser HotRod Forums banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

· Registered
2,527 Posts
I've really enjoyed watching your build come together. I have one one question regarding the cooler you have mounted high on the cowl/firewall. I don't see any electric fan so where is the air flow coming from?

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
That is a 24000 GVW cooler that has 1/2 in. lines. Plus I stepped the cooler line size up from 5/16 to 3/8 and the trans also has a factory deep pam installed. So air flow won't matter as it is only pulling a 3300 lb load. When I first started driving this truck I had a different cooler mounted in front of the radiator and that let the motor run hotter than I wanted so I moved it to the firewall. I had considered putting it up under the truck but the firewall is a easier spot to work on. Plus you don't want the trans to cool. I have a 10in. Turbo Action con. That has a advertised stall of around 4-4200 and with a 4.10 gear it is going to slip where if you added more gear the higher rpm would tighten it up some. No engine braking in 1st or 2nd so there is a lot going on there. I don't have a working tach so I cannot provide much detail on engine speed.

· Administrator
14,015 Posts
I run both of my trans coolers flat under the radiators so they don't block any air flow to the radiator, but aren't up high where all the heat rises. I'd move your cooler below the radiator in a horizontal position where it gets a lot more cool air. Just my thoughts on it.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts