Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have these 52 or 3 front chevy truck springs and been doing some research on bushings. The rear has some kind of bushing that the bolt threads in to and the front I'm not really sure. Wouldn't it be better to find a bushing and a steel sleeve that will fit and use grade 8 bolts? Vall mentioned something about cutting nylon bushings down to fit. Anyone ever use these springs and have any ideas?

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
most leaf spring are in standard widths 1 1/2 ,1 3/4 and so on you should be able to find some on the net most diameters, are also of a standard size use the bolts and self locking nuts, do a image search.

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
The brass or bronze bushings do fit great, but itt wont take long until they begin to rattle as they wear.
Never seen any bushings that were threaded to accept a bolt? On my Falcon I bought a complete urethane bushing set from Summit for a Chevy truck. Found some of them fit as is, while others were either too wide, or too large diameter. Since I needed bushings for leaf springs all around, I got enough in this complete kit to handle it all. My new rear springs came with just one end bushed? Not sure what that's about, but seems to be a common thing, as my Camaro's springs came the same way.
As I mentioned before, I chucked them all in my cheap Chinese lathe, and cut them all to fit with ease. The urethane really cuts easy. Used a hacksaw blade to part them off the right length, while turning them, after cutting the diameter down.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to clean up the bushing holes. Looks like there is a thin steel sleeve in the rear holes. I'll cut it out with a die grinder and get a measurement on both ends. I want poly, trying to get a decent ride and keep some of the noise and rattles down.

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Good idea! My ladder bars on my Austin are beginning to make some noise. Rattles. I need to climb under it this winter and see what's going on and determine if it's wear on the heim ends, or the bolts.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If they aren't C moly then it's probably the heims. I installed a 4 link yrs ago that didn't have the good joints and they lasted about 1/3 of the season. Heard them rattle coming back the return road. Put CM joints in it and they were in it when I sold it. Thing is, the 4 link was a big name brand and wasn't cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts