Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to check in and say hello!

I've planned this project for about 10 years and started gathering parts about 5 years ago. Ultimately, I am building a "gasser" that a 20 year old kid might have back in the mid-sixties. My idea is to build my '55 in the same way that a kid with a limited income would have back in the day.

He'd start with a car he bought off a used car lot and that he used to get back and forth to work and go out with his buddies and girlfriend and race on the weekends. To that end, I've got a relatively stock '55 to start with. I've got the rebuilt 327 (now 331) and will be running Hilborn mfi and a vertex mag. It'll be backed up to a 700R4 (OK, it's not mid-sixties technology but think of it as a B&M Hydro Stic) to a '57 Pontiac rear end with 4.30 gears. The front end will be a Model A axle with a transverse 10 leaf spring. As much as I want to keep it mid-sixties, one concession I will be making is disk brakes up front for safety.

The front end and paint scheme will be "tributes" of sorts to my parents and a friend from the Buffalo, NY area. The first car I ever remember my parents having was a '55 Chevy. It was painted Ivory white and Shadow gray and mine will be, also. The Model A front end is a tribute to a friend who ran a similar setup back in the mid-sixties.

So that's my introduction. I'll start a thread documenting the build (which I expect will take two years or so) and will welcome all comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome John, sound like a cool project. You'll find a lot of good info on here. I'm building mine in the same style, mostly because I'm an old kid with limited income!
~John~

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Welcome John. I think you will find most of us building like a kid in the 60's, mostly because we refuse to grow up. Looking forward to the 55, sounds like a great base to start from.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Welcome John to our world. We welcome all gasser builds they are extensions of our own personalities. Sounds like your '55 will be very classic. Glad you joined ad are doing your build right in front of us. Enjoy the site AND LET THE GASSER BUILD COMMENCE.

Mark L

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Welcome John! Sounds like a great project, and good ideas for the car! The transverse spring will be unique on a full size car, and provide some challenges, but really stand out amongst other gassers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts