Gasser HotRods banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

My name is Mike from just north of Pittsburgh Pa, Love Gassers kinda grew up around them at PID crewed on 55 Ford C/G Henry J C/A C/D FE powered back in the 60s ,I'm a member of BS-Gassers. I now own a 73 2.3Turbo Pinto,40 Ford sedan delivery, 68 Opel wagon, 6S1941 Hertz, & one of three known to exist Allied 289 SlabSide Cobra & a 57 Merc Cruiser Convt.

Mike/map351

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Great history and a nice collection of cars. Good to have you on board Mike. A big welcome to you. Are you working on any projects now or are all your cars projects, as in always working to make them better? Pop in some pics so we can see what you are driving. We are getting agreat collection of members here with a really diverse range of cars. Just plain love it. Enjoy the site Mike and looking forward to more pics and your participation, orrr, just hanging out and babbling. Mark L

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Welcome Mike! Lots of experience with drag cars, so I'm sure whatever you build will be able to withstand the rigors of racing!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I didn't realize Leechburg is so close to Pittsburgh. If you go to Pittsburgh Raceway Park, cruises and/or shows in the area maybe I have seen your Pinto, etc, etc.

We will definitely "hook-up" in the future somewhere, sometime!!!!

I was at PID (Pittsburgh International Dragway) on opening day back in 1964. It was a great time for being a hot rodder!!!! It was a fun place & was very close to where we currently live. Right outside of Bridgeville.

Did you ever go to the PID Reunion Dinner at Peter's Place (every Feb)????

Looking forward to pics.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hertz Mustang maybe?
Yep, 66 Hertz.

I didn't realize Leechburg is so close to Pittsburgh. If you go to Pittsburgh Raceway Park, cruises and/or shows in the area maybe I have seen your Pinto, etc, etc.

We will definitely "hook-up" in the future somewhere, sometime!!!!

I was at PID (Pittsburgh International Dragway) on opening day back in 1964. It was a great time for being a hot rodder!!!! It was a fun place & was very close to where we currently live. Right outside of Bridgeville.

Did you ever go to the PID Reunion Dinner at Peter's Place (every Feb)????

Looking forward to pics.....
Never made it to the reunions,

John, I think 1965 was the first year at PID for me with Joe Bozic with the 55 Ford Gasser..
A few Pix from PID.

Mike

My 65 Comet convt we used as the push car.
http://inlinethumb06.webshots.com/22021
/2161071050038663969S600x600Q85.jpg

Hunky John Cammer rail.

·
Registered
374 Posts
That Henry J is bitchin!! You wouldn't have any more pix of it, would you?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That Henry J is bitchin!! You wouldn't have any more pix of it, would you?
Ray
I have to look for more, we went from the Henry J to the Front engine car.

Mike

Bill Truby might have some more.

Me driving the Cobra push car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the 55 Gasser around 1964. A fuel line broke and burnt in the staging lanes at PID.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
QUOTE: John, I think 1965 was the first year at PID for me with Joe Bozic with the 55 Ford Gasser..... Mike

In 1963 drag racers in the Pittsburgh area raced on the 1/8 mile straight away at Heidelburg Raceway.... it was a dirt track sanctioned by NASCAR.

My friend had a brand new '63 Chevy Impala and another person we knew (Mickey Burke) had a really quick dark blue '62 Biscayne 327/300hp (with a 283 insignia on the front fenders).

The following year PID opened. In 1965 I went to the Army and I missed all the action at PID from then until the Summer of 1968.

Initially, both drag & circle track racing in Pittsburgh was sanctioned thru NASCAR. This affiliation with NASCAR was due because PID’s first owner, Ed Witzberger, also owned Heidelberg Raceway a dirt half-mile circle track that was on the NASCAR short track circuit. A few years later PID would become NHRA sanctioned.

"Those were the days my friend.... we thought they'd NEVER end..... But they did"

BTW.... I do remember this C/A (I think it was painted GOLD).... I think I even have a picture or 35mm slide of it somewhere.

I gave all my of the 35mm slides I took at PID to Bill Truby awhile ago. He copied them & posted them on his PID website.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE: John, I think 1965 was the first year at PID for me with Joe Bozic with the 55 Ford Gasser..... Mike

In 1963 drag racers in the Pittsburgh area raced on the 1/8 mile straight away at Heidelburg Raceway.... it was a dirt track sanctioned by NASCAR.

My friend had a brand new '63 Chevy Impala and another person we knew (Mickey Burke) had a really quick dark blue '62 Biscayne 327/300hp (with a 283 insignia on the front fenders).

The following year PID opened. In 1965 I went to the Army and I missed all the action at PID from then until the Summer of 1968.

Initially, both drag & circle track racing in Pittsburgh was sanctioned thru NASCAR. This affiliation with NASCAR was due because PID’s first owner, Ed Witzberger, also owned Heidelberg Raceway a dirt half-mile circle track that was on the NASCAR short track circuit. A few years later PID would become NHRA sanctioned.

"Those were the days my friend.... we thought they'd NEVER end..... But they did"

BTW.... I do remember this C/A (I think it was painted GOLD).... I think I even have a picture or 35mm slide of it somewhere.

I gave all my of the 35mm slides I took at PID to Bill Truby awhile ago. He copied them & posted them on his PID website.
John
That was Jack Becker's C/A Jack was killed in Ohio train I think I have the news paper right up here somewhere.

The more I think about this 1965 ( I was in 10th grade at WAVO) was the first year I started going to PID with Bozer & the 55 Gasser.

The timing tower at PID was the Timing trailer from Heidelberg.

Mike

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
A few more of the Henry J I think it was a Allstate..
I have 8MM video from PID & U.S. Nats (1970/71 INDY).

Mike

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
John
That was Jack Becker's C/A Jack was killed in Ohio train I think I have the news paper right up here somewhere................The timing tower at PID was the Timing trailer from Heidelberg.
Mike
Sorry to hear about losing your drag racing buddy. looking back and especially recently many of the "guys" have gone too soon.

I remember like it was yesterday (amazing how we can remember certain things forever and then can't find where I just put the car keys, cell phone, etc....Ha!!!) that your buddy's C/A left "hard" every time I saw it run.

I didn't know about the timing trailer being from Heidelberg Raceway.

It's really nice to reminisce about those days. That's why the PID get-to-togethers are so much fun. In addition to the Feb. dinner at Gregory's Bill & Jim always have a info booth & lots of pictures at the World of Wheels Custom Car Show which is held every year at the David Lawrence Convention Center in January. Then in September there is a PID reunion day at Pittsburgh Raceway Park (formerly Keystone dragstrip) and then this past Summer the PID reunion guys had the first (annual???) "PID REUNION CRUISE NIGHT" at the Sonic in Bridgeville. There was a GREAT turn out. It was the first time I "sneaked" the Opel out on the street.

So hopefully I'll catch up with you at one of these PID events.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I was at the PID reunion ( PRP) ....... Mike

Mike, Was there a good turn out at the PID Reunion Drags?

This year was the first time it was PRP scheduled the PID Reunion on that weekend day. In years past it was scheduled on the following weekend. I heard the reason for the change was Summit Raceway Park (Norwalk) always holds its MOPAR NATIONALS on that weekend. So the PRP Reunion was always Mopar-Less with all of the former PID S/S racers opted for the Mopar Nationals.

That cured PRP's conflict..... and created one for us. The Saturday it was held was the same day as the "Drifters Steeltown Shakedown" held at the old "Twin Highway Drive-in". It's a really fun & also very "different" show. Live "RockaBilly & Surf" bands play all day and the day's closing feature is the showing of old movies from the '50's-60's on the Twin Highway screen. Last year they showed "Two Lane Blacktop & an old monster movie..... fun .... fun .... fun.

So when it came to deciding which event to go to this year all of our hot rod buddies voted to go to the "Drifter's show. I had just got the Opel a few weeks before and as you know the Opel is NOT "street legal" and barely "streetable". It tends to run HOT after sitting in traffic (another Winter project to do). The Twin Highway Drive-In is about 15 minutes from where we live on side roads..... PRP is over an hour on the highway, thru downtown Pittsburgh with State Police everywhere.... So we went to the "Drifter's Show".

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The place was full! AA/GS , Floppers, SS/ cars. The vids show the turn out. A perfect day.

Mike

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Did you run a car?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts