Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new member on here. Im from Norway.
Im in the process of building myself an Ford Anglia Gasser.
Long way to go though...but i have started collecting parts for it, and i have started to build the engine. Frame is boxed and ready for chevy small block.
Building an 383 to start with. Not a real high power engine, but i hope to make somewhere between 400-500 horses.
Future plans includes another small block chevy, but with a 6-71 blower.

Im very "hungry" to learn everything i can about the way they built gassers back in the day :cool: I`ll guess you will see some posts from me pretty soon..

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi, new member on here. Im from Norway........Im very "hungry" to learn everything i can about the way they built gassers back in the day :cool: I`ll guess you will see some posts from me pretty soon..
I am happy to be the first member to welcome you to the Gasser/Hot Rod Forum!!!!

It is kind of appropriate because currently own a European made car ('69 Opel) but also because I spent time in Europe when I was stationed near Frankfurt, Germany. That was in 1967 - '68..... in other words "back in the day"

I had been assigned there after a 13 month tour in Korea. Needless to say being in Germany could not take "hot rods" & "drag racing" out of my blood. There were quite a few tri-five Chevys, Fords, etc. - early muscle cars and brand new "muscle cars" of all kind there.

Near the end of my time in Germany organized "drag racing" started being held at one of the military air strips. At that time 1/4 mile drag racing in Europe was dominated by a officer who owner a KR500 Shelby Mustang (whie with blue stripes). That was until a Sergeant who was from Los Angeles, California ("hot rod heaven") came to Germany following his tour of duty in Viet Nam.

Any enlisted personnel E-5 (Sergeant or above) and all commisioned officers were eligible to have their car shipped (via boat) to where they were stationed in Europe.... in addition to having their wife/family & personal/household shipped over for "free".

That Sergeant had a '66 SS396 Chevelle (with a 4 speed) shipped over. He was stationed in the same city I was. His Chevelle was "built-up" and had been drag raced in the U.S. prior to being transferred to Germany. It had "racing" & "class winner" decals all over the car (Marina blue)

At the first "drag race" he raced at he beat the Shelby Mustang for top eliminator. Word had it that he could not get traction and so he launched the powerful BBC Chevelle in 2nd gear. After that the Shelby Mustand never won "top eliminator" again.

I had my first car (a red '61 Chevy ragtop w/283-4 speed) shipped over. It stuck out like a "sore thumb" next all of the VW's, Mini-Cooper's, etc .... ha!!!! Driving it in town on the narrow cobbled-stone side streets of Germany took some doing. Of course driving on the "autobahn" was an experience I will never forget.

I had the '61 shipped back to the States when I was discharged and kept the car for a few more years. While in Germany I kept in touch with the "muscle cars" that were becoming so popular back in the States by reading every hot rod/high performance magazine I could get my hands on.

One of the first things I did when I got back to the States was to take advantage of my verteran's benefits and started going to college night school. Ironically, the next car I bought was a '69 Opel Rallye Kadette. While in Germany I really liked the Rallye Kadettes .... so with having to drive to night school three nights a week the Opel was a fun and ecomonical car to have. After a short period of time I traded the Opel in for an '67 SS350 Camaro.

So it is ironic I would again own "another Opel". So that's one of the many things I experienced from "back in the day".

Again, welcome ..... will look forward to hearing and seeing (we love looking at pictures) about your Anglia.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Welcome,, Gasserx I posted on your build thread and stick around, very knowledgeable members are here and will be glad to advise you with any questions you might have.
Andy

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the warm welcomes :)
Great to here about your story OpelGasser (let me know if i can help out with any Opel parts if you need some...guess Opels are more common over here).
I will post pics in my project thread as i progress.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Thanks a lot for the warm welcomes :)
Great to here about your story OpelGasser (let me know if i can help out with any Opel parts if you need some...guess Opels are more common over here).
I will post pics in my project thread as i progress.
Thanks for the offer.... Opel parts are hard to come by. Especially body parts & window glass. As you know practically everything underneath the Opel is NOT Opel.

I do have "making" fiberglass front fenders & hood (one piece) on my "to do list"...... a list which is very LONG & grows LONGER as time goes on. I am sure you know how that works.

I met another Opel Gasser owner at the "Gasser Reunion" at Thompson Dragway last Summer. He made a one piece fiberglass tilt front end for his Kadett ...... so I know it can be done.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Welcome gasserx! Anglias are fast with just about any SBC! So light that even a mild engine will move them easily!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
A big welcome to you. Glad you could find us and share your ideas and perspectives with us. Don't be afraid to ask anything. We all are more than willing to help out and we all want to see you make your dream happen as much as we like to see our own dreams come true. Gotta go look at your build thread. MArk L

·
Registered
643 Posts
Gasserx,

Welcome!

Tell us, how popular are the Gassers in Norway?? We will give you all the bench racing you need, to keep the enthusiasm up!

I have a buddy in Berlin that loves Ford Cobra kit cars,, he says alot of people raise eyebrows to his thinking,, but he is not affected.

56 VIC - Tom

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Welcome to the forum, gasserx! My family on my dads side are from Norway around Stravanger. Tjensvold.

Cool that you joined the site and I'm anticipating the build thread on your Anglia.

Mike

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks again for the warm welcomes, i have very good feeling about this forum :)

That Space Kadett is awesome! Looks like you have a handfull OpelGasser, but thats what its all about right? I have too many projects myself, but i would not be without :D

mt94ss: Stavanger is a nice place on the southwest coast of norway. But there is raining a lot there..haha :)

56 VIC - well, its not a huge scene, but since we are less than 5 million people here its not expected either. I think most modern day built "gassers" are actually VW`s (im into VW`s also for a long time). Couple of pics below..
But sure there is interest among others too, but national dragracing ass. doesnt seem to happy about oldschool gassers. But if you look over to Sweden there is much more going on when it comes to Hot rodding and Gassers, so i guess i will be going there for races when i get the car ready.
Here is some youtube vids from Sweden:
2:57 is a good one :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts